Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
When the Patriots had their famous overtime drive against the Falcons they used 14 players on it and most were drafted after round three or undrafted

Amendola and Hogan weren’t drafted
Edelman went 7th I think
The other WR Malcom Mitchell and James White RB were both 4th I think

so yeh you are correct
I was trying to defend the 2015 draft when I was doing it which in hindsight, everyone was so mad about it, nothing was getting through so I should have STFU. But yeah, the NHL is not really all that successful in the overall picture. Its why I never gave a shit that Sweeney flubbed the 2015 draft, I mean he did of course but the NHL draft is so crappy with good results, I never put much stock in the draft to begin with.

ESPN has made the NFL draft into a watchable bonanza for its TV ratings. So, I think people transpose that thinking to other drafts. But really...in the NHL, you have NO idea what a player will develop into after the surefire top picks. One day scroll through the top 10 picks over the last 20 years and you will see more failures than successes. Even in the top10, its not all that great.

The NFL is such a different monster. Get drafted in the 1st rd, you get guaranteed money contract and chances are very good you will be playing in your rookie year with QB being the exception that they will sit and learn for a yr or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
the more i think about it the frederic fly by on the first goal irritates me. easily could’ve thrown the puck in the corner.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
A real 1st line Center changes the entire team.
Coyle is immeasurably better as a 2C. Zacha as a 3C etc.

The match up of Barkov vs (either Coyle or Zacha) was ludicrous, and it put on full display how bad we are down the middle, (in the playoffs at least, which is all I care about).

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

The match up of Barkov vs (either Coyle or Zacha) was ludicrous, and it put on full display how bad we are down the middle, (in the playoffs at least, which is all I care about)

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
the more i think about it the frederic fly by on the first goal irritates me. easily could’ve thrown the puck in the corner.

It wasn't a good look for him, that's for sure. I was wondering WTF was he thinking. Freddy's usually reliable in his own zone, so that surprised me.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
What was the powerplay 1-20 last 9 games .Why is that ? No top centre certainly part of that in my opinion.
If you saw games 5 and 6, the answer is obvious - they had a god awful time getting zone entries. When they weren't turning it over at the blue line, they flipped weak dumps into the corners instead of slamming the puck around the boards.

Those last two games were a nightmare from a PP perspective.

Reactions: Gordoff and Barnum

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015

The match up of Barkov vs (either Coyle or Zacha) was ludicrous, and it put on full display how bad we are down the middle, (in the playoffs at least, which is all I care about).

Only problem is,.. who?

Best possible pending UFA center is Elias Lindholm (assuming he doesn't re-sign with Vancouver). Everyone else is prolly too old or no better than Coyle/Zacha.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Then he shouldn’t have played in the second half of the season. I’m not sure why they let him.

He did surprise me in the playoffs though.
This is true, they were making the playoffs, no reason not to give him time off. The Panthers did it with Bennett.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Vancouver probably has the cap,space to resighn him.
Exactly and I don't really like the next best options after him.

Stamkos/Duchene at best are an expensive kick the can down the road option and don't do anything for the problem long term.

Everyone else is no better or worse than Coyle/Zacha.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think they do , no chance they resign him not if they’re giving Swayman a big contract,so why keep him for another season and then he walks and get nothing.Move him now while they can still get something.Plus freeze up $5 million.

Again though they don't "need" to. Does it makes sense to? Absolutely. The OP was (paraphrasing) that teams won't offer much and just wait till he's a UFA because they know Boston needs to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad