Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Get him some help, he's a fing stud that is playing too much and takes a beating every shift , but equally dishes it out.

People give Pasta a pass, lets do the same with Charlie, PP PK on the ice 1/3 of the game.

Not a team in the league he wouldn't be in the top pair
No truer words have been spoken, just plain fact

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bs were too slow reacting in the defensive end for the better part of the season. Sometimes they looked like world beaters but it was an issue in the play offs that stuck out like a sore thumb. No team is perfect and hockey is a game of mistakes. Bruins just seemed to react to pressure by either dumping the puck out which got picked off or making a bad pass. Panthers did the same just not as frequent.
An aggressive physical for-checking game was something we saw during the regular season that was definitely a big weakness for them and it was pretty obvious it was going to become a huge issue come playoffs especially with Florida ,but also if the Leafs had played that style earlier in the series,not a chance the Bruins would have beaten them.If the Leafs could basically change their style of play over night and gave the Bruins fits ,to me this isn’t just a case of the Bruins not having enough talent,it’s more a system they play that is very vulnerable to this kind of game.

This.
But also so many forwards handle the puck like a grenade. As soon as they’re pressured you know they’re gonna cough the puck up.

How many times early in game 6 did the puck die on Freddy’s stick? A few glorious chances wasted.

Pasta was guilty of tossing muffin passes to no one so many times last night/all series also.

Team did much better than I expected, so I’m happy for that. But got a lot of work to do.

Lindholm hopefully remembers how to play hockey this summer.
Lohrei takes a huge step and bumps McAvoy from pp1
Really liked Poitras/Brazeau coming out of nowhere and making impacts.
Curious if anyone from Providence will be sprinkled in. Bruins need some skill, Lysell seems to have what they’re missing.

Gonna be fun watching Rempe have a field day with Bennett/Tkachuk next series tho hah
I’m not convinced Brazeau is going to be the player we hope for he looked good in the first game against Florida but I thought he really struggled the rest of the series,looked very awkward and is probably the reason he was playing in the Eastern hockey league.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Imo what really screwed up Pasta and Marchand's production is they were forced to be the playmakers on their lines because the centers couldn't do the job. Why do you think Pasta and Marchand had so many assists all season.

Overall it was the board battles that killed us. It was constant bruins being pinned against the boards behind Bob and sending it to the other winger for him to be be jammed. Puck squirts loose and Panthers take it up ice. In our zone the panthers constantly beat the bruins to the puck on the boards and could get it back to their D and get a play going. Felt like the Panthers were on a PP when they got the cycle going.

To be fair, Marchand has been the playmaker on his line for a long time now.

But your board battle critique is right on.

Reactions: Gordoff and bob77

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I doubt it.

You laugh at my pasta take but nothing is funnier than the following stats.

Last 3 years

27 games. 12 goals, 7 assist -1.

Worthy of that massive contract 🤣

Top players go thru playoff slumps sometimes. Marchand went 47 games with only 6 goals in the playoffs. Now he's got one of the best consecutive playoff stretches in history with at least 10 points.

Trading Pasta is as dumb a route for the Bruins to take as it gets. He's one of the best goal scorers and point producers in the game. Teams know that shutting him down is the #1 way to slow the Bruins offense.

• Love
Reactions: Ladyfan

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I’m not convinced Brazeau is going to be the player we hope for he looked good in the first game against Florida but I thought he really struggled the rest of the series,looked very awkward and is probably the reason he was playing in the Eastern hockey league.
I dunno, I’m 100000% ok with Brazeau taking JVR’s spot in the lineup next season.
He had a real good chance in the third? Last night. He seems to make a lot of really sneaky good passes, was one of the only guys finishing every check. Have a feeling he’ll be deadly on the pp next year. Guy took a wild road to get here, gotta think he’s gonna train extra hard this summer

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
Uhhh….That was not a recommendation. 🤦‍♂️
Ok, I'm not quite sure how I miss read this post of yours "Brad, we’re looking to take a step back and retool. How would you like a shot at a cup elsewhere if we can swing it to the long term benefit of the team?" Kinda seems like your willing to cut ties with him.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Imo what really screwed up Pasta and Marchand's production is they were forced to be the playmakers on their lines because the centers couldn't do the job. Why do you think Pasta and Marchand had so many assists all season.

Overall it was the board battles that killed us. It was constant bruins being pinned against the boards behind Bob and sending it to the other winger for him to be be jammed. Puck squirts loose and Panthers take it up ice. In our zone the panthers constantly beat the bruins to the puck on the boards and could get it back to their D and get a play going. Felt like the Panthers were on a PP when they got the cycle going.
And they had the same issue with the Leafs after they adjusted their game after they got down 3-1 .I really doubt the Bruins win that series if they had made that adjustment earlier in the series.

Reactions: Gordoff

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Top players go thru playoff slumps sometimes. Marchand went 47 games with only 6 goals in the playoffs. Now he's got one of the best consecutive playoff stretches in history with at least 10 points.

Trading Pasta is as dumb a route for the Bruins to take as it gets. He's one of the best goal scorers and point producers in the game. Teams know that shutting him down is the #1 way to slow the Bruins offense.

You don't trade pasta just to trade him.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

Yes…so you add scoring depth so the opponent pays a price when they focus on shutting down 88. Let’s hope they can do that to a greater extent going forward.

Reactions: Gordoff and PB37

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Ok, I'm not quite sure how I miss read this post of yours "Brad, we’re looking to take a step back and retool. How would you like a shot at a cup elsewhere if we can swing it to the long term benefit of the team?" Kinda seems like your willing to cut ties with him.

Think Bourque. Same thing…I should have prefaced in that manner.

I can get on board with anyone moving if it makes the team a stronger contender and what they bring in is not a dbag. Doesn’t mean I want to see someone go if there are other alternatives.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Then you can expect the same middling results.

Which I find a lot of people are totally fine with.

Why wouldn’t you just add talent around him?

There are what 10.11 guys who can score goals like him?

What would he do with a Barkov as his center and a guy who is a lock to score 35 backing him up on the second line and taking some pressure off him?

He’s far from a problem.

He’s alone among elite talent up front and a lot of guys wouldn’t produce like he does in this situation or do it without complaining.

He’s elite and wants to be here.

Get him some help!

Last edited:

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Why wouldn’t you just add talent around him?

There are what 10.11 guys who can score goals like him?

What would he do with a Barkov as his center and a guy who is a lock to score 35 backing him up on the second line and taking some pressure off him?

He’s far from a problem.

He’s along among elite talent up front and a lot of guys wouldn’t produce like he does in this situation or do it without complaining.

He’s elite and wants to be here.

Get him some help!

You can.

My original point was that I'd rather start looking toward the future and start accumulating assets that Sweeney has burned chasing a cup they never got.

Which IS better than bouncing in the first round every year.

Sorry but making the playoffs doesn't do anything for me. You want to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams that can legitimately win it and not just a one and done and occasionally second round team.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I’d like to see Jake resigned despite the annoying obsession by some here, but I think we all need to prepare for the idea that he wants a fresh start and to be away from the heat here - and add that to the idea that he can likely get paid more elsewhere

And thats a valid point. Fresh start.
He hasnt had a smooth time here. Some self inflicted and some unwarranted.

Good point.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Then you can expect the same middling results.

Which I find a lot of people are totally fine with.

You're looking to trade a guy who's in his prime and trending to end his career with 600 goals and who averages 36 goals per 82 playoff games. He's one of the best offensive players of his generation for a team. He's the type of player you build around and other teams wish they had on theirs.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
In retrospect, I'm still a bit amazed how this team, as currently constructed, made it to the 6th game of the 2nd round. They had their chances this series and couldn't get it done. So, we move forward. Compared to this time last season, I can't really say that I'm as disappointed.

Hoping that there are some good, solid changes to this club during the summer. No rebuild is needed imo, but a serious re-tooling should be in order (namely a #1 C & more skill added).

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
You're looking to trade a guy who's in his prime and trending to end his career with 600 goals and who averages 36 goals per 82 playoff games. He's one of the best offensive players of his generation for a team. He's the type of player you build around and other teams wish they had on theirs.

That's a over simplification of what I said.

Pasta needs to carry the team to a cup of hes gonna make the money he's making.

Now why don't you give us the breakdown of what pasta is doing defensively because that's the stats id really like to check in on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad