Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I think if I told you at the beginning of the year that the bruins would finish second in the division and go 47-20-15. Marchand would fill the huge shoes left by Bergeron and be a great captain. Pastrnak would have 110pts. Zacha 59pts and Coyle 60pts would hold their own in the top 2 center spots. Fill in guys Geekie 40pts, JVR 38pts, Heinen 36pts, Shattenkirk 26pts would all over perform their low end contracts. Poitras would make the team at 19 years old and show great potential. Lohrei would not only end up being called up but would hold his own on the top pair in the Playoffs. We would beat the leafs in the first round with a heroic game 7 OT victory. We would fall in the second round in a six game battle against the Panthers but Jeremy Swayman takes the #1 spot in net and is the teams MVP in the playoffs. I think 99% of us would have signed up for that. We all knew this was a transition year and I think this team battled and should be proud of the year they put together.

Lots of cap space coming soon. Get ready to add some pieces to take a run at the cup next year.

Go Bruins!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Having the "Best Goaltending Tandem"" in the league is OVERRATED. It's great when/if one of them is out with an injury but otherwise it's like money in the bank making less than 1% interest - great to have in an emergency but it's not ACTIVELY doing much for you.

Ullmark has to be traded or the team will not fundamentally change. Certainly last year's Vezina winner will get us a #1 center and maybe more (?). Then Swayman AND the new guy can play at the same time and the team still has great goaltending while also more goal scoring.

Ullmark is the only star we can afford to lose, and the only one who will get us the talent in return where we most need it.

What 1C do you see them getting for Ullmark?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Having the "Best Goaltending Tandem"" in the league is OVERRATED. It's great when/if one of them is out with an injury but otherwise it's like money in the bank making less than 1% interest - great to have in an emergency but it's not ACTIVELY doing much for you.

Ullmark has to be traded or the team will not fundamentally change. Certainly last year's Vezina winner will get us a #1 center and maybe more (?). Then Swayman AND the new guy can play at the same time and the team still has great goaltending while also more goal scoring.

Ullmark is the only star we can afford to lose, and the only one who will get us the talent in return where we most need it.
They need to move Ullmark for a couple of reasons. To free up the money to pay Swayman, because it’s Swayman’s net now, and to upgrade the roster.

However, other teams know that the Bruins need to move him, and they can also get him in free agency without spending an asset in a trade if they just wait a year.

I agree he has to go, but I think many will be disappointed with the return they get.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
A lot to be hopeful for.

Building from the net out, we arguably kept the playoff's best offence (who loaded up at the deadline) from doing much.

Our star players didn't put the puck in the net in big moments, and that was the margin. I think an injection of skill and we're competing for the division every year, even post Marchy. The bones of the team are good.

The too many men though....that may be systemic.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I understand what you’re saying, although I don’t agree.

One decent playoff year doesn’t mask 6 goals in 48 playoff games.

That’s fourth line/border AHL production.

In the end, there are literally dozens of players who are as effective as him as third liners.

Some score more goals, some hit more, some fight, some are defensive guys like he is, some are a better combination of a few of those skills.

In the end, if this team is serious about getting better, and they fill the two/three holes in the tops 6 and they are committed to Poitras, Brazeau and Beecher, I can’t see why they’d bring him back.

As I’ve posted earlier:

Given he’s not a top 6 guy,

If they do their job this summer, the third line should be:

Freddy Coyle Geekie

I can’t see him being a priority for the 4th line with..

Beecher, Boqvist, Brazeau, Lauko all under contract along with the likelihood that they’ll bring in some muscle.

I agree the competition for spots should become fiercer. But there'll likely be a few guys in the mix that they'll have some concerns over as to how much they can get out of them on account either of being young (Poitras and Lysell) or, in sporting terms, old (Marchand). Having a Heinen who can slot into various roles and do a good job with no fuss would be handy.

Monty likes him, I don't think that can be doubted. Coaches like dependable and if nothing else Danton is that. Monty had a hand in bringing him back to Boston, used him in various capacities throughout the season, then dressed him in every game for which he was fit in the playoffs. Yes the Bruins didn't have great forward depth but he didn't absolutely have to play him, nor to give him a very solid 15 mins TOI per game (incidentally almost 2 mins more per game than Frederic). All the signs there of a player that is valued, at least to some extent.

I think going forwards it partly depends on what Heinen is after. If he wants to maximize his earnings and guarantee himself a game every night, he's almost certainly going to have to look elsewhere. But if he's not really about the money and he's willing to sign cheap while knowing that he's going to be battling for a spot against however many other guys, then I still see a place for him in Boston. I think at the very least he and Sweeney are going to have a conversation. How that pans out, I won't hazard to guess.

SonnyBoy

Jan 25, 2022
No disrespect to sway but sergei beat us tonight.

It was close but Swayman's cardinal sin leaving near post open cost us. He keep doing it again and again. Anyway, awesome playoffs for Swayman and he should be Bruins future goalie for years to come.

Really? What about the last round where he went Mia until the game winner?

Where has he been since that cup run?

He can't score from breakaways, can't score on powerplay. He had empty goal end of the 3rd period but he slap shot straight to Barkov. He had time to take little wrist shot and score.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Wn
They rode an extremely hot Power Play. Not happening here.
Wasn't the question. '91 Stars had a losing record.

I agree the competition for spots should become fiercer. But there'll likely be a few guys in the mix that they'll have some concerns over as to how much they can get out of them on account either of being young (Poitras and Lysell) or, in sporting terms, old (Marchand). Having a Heinen who can slot into various roles and do a good job with no fuss would be handy.

Monty likes him, I don't think that can be doubted. Coaches like dependable and if nothing else Danton is that. Monty had a hand in bringing him back to Boston, used him in various capacities throughout the season, then dressed him in every game for which he was fit in the playoffs. Yes the Bruins didn't have great forward depth but he didn't absolutely have to play him, nor to give him a very solid 15 mins TOI per game (incidentally almost 2 mins more per game than Frederic). All the signs there of a player that is valued, at least to some extent.

I think going forwards it partly depends on what Heinen is after. If he wants to maximize his earnings and guarantee himself a game every night, he's almost certainly going to have to look elsewhere. But if he's not really about the money and he's willing to sign cheap while knowing that he's going to be battling for a spot against however many other guys, then I still see a place for him in Boston. I think at the very least he and Sweeney are going to have a conversation. How that pans out, I won't hazard to guess.
Even at $2M a year he is a good deal. 17G this year.

SonnyBoy

Jan 25, 2022
One gets to stay as a 3rd line C.

Marchand - Coyle - Brazeau as a 3rd line perhaps. Frederic and Heinen just can't score in the playoffs and aren't build for it.

Frederic 3 goals, Coyle and Brazeau 1 goal each. Heinen is just awful.

Pastrnak has to play against the top lines and dman every shift. Our lack of centre ice talent was exposed this series

Other so called great players can do that night after night.

We wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Pasternak hard to win much if you finish 9th or 10th in the standings.

Florida isn’t gonna win shit either Rangers will beat them in 5 or 6 and they’re about to get broken up for cap reasons.

If you insert another $11.25 Mil player in place of him they are going to playoffs easily.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
This front office’s inability to draft well over the years has killed this team. They are a mediocre team built for the regular season with the inability to elevate their game come the Spring. Built just to get a couple of playoff dates for the owner. How this FO could not realize that Bergeron and Krejci were getting older and not have a succession plan was embarrassing.

My bet is this pompous GM keeps kicking the can down the road trying to get people to believe they are better than they actually are. No draft picks until the 4th round. Their regular season success is just delaying the inevitable that this group is very flawed with a short sighted patchwork GM.

BTW, do the Bruins even scout in the CHL anymore? I have been concerned for a while with the direction this management is taking this organization. Very little faith in this group to change their thinking.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Is this team a couple players away from a Cup? 4 of the top 6 forwards will be back, entire top 6 D that played tonight and the superstar goalie. Freddy, Beecher, Geekie and Brazeau would appear to be locks as well. Should be a fun and interesting off season,
They are a JT Miller level at C plus a Devon Toews level Dman away. That isn't there
in FA this year.

Frederic 3 goals, Coyle and Brazeau 1 goal each. Heinen is just awful.

Other so called great players can do that night after night.

If you insert another $11.25 Mil player in place of him they are going to playoffs easily.
Take Nylander over 88. Higher hockey IQ for certain.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The off-season could be a good time for the Bruins, they have a lot of cap space and they can get a good return for Ullmark, since the UFA goalie market is weak. The problem is if Sweeney is in charge he will hand out contracts to guys like Grizz and Maroon, instead he should be going after Reinhart, Lindholm etc. I would let Shattenkrik, Grizz, Forbort, Maroon, and JVR walk. Re-sign Swayman and DeBrusk if he will sign for $5 m or less, Heinen I only keep for cheap, otherwise let him go.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Absolutely feel positive about newcomers Poitras, Lohrei, Beecher , Peeke, Wotherspoon and Brazeau for next season.
I would like to see Brazeau with Poitras. Lohrei is an NHL deeman now, and Peeke adds the muscle we needed. Wotherspoon is a perfect #6/7 deeman. The experience those guys gained will benefit the Bruins going forward. They need scoring to take the pressure off Pasta, so hopefully Lysell comes up next. They matched the Panthers in the physicality part. Get a #1 pivot and slot everyone down.

Reactions: Gordoff and duffy

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
The way this team was constructed this season for cap reasons gets an A rating for me. Goaltending was responsible for them being in the run for the Presidents trophy.

July 1st will bring a first line center & a scoring winger that plays heavy.
Maybe Ullmark brings you a second line scorer.
The kids look promising & hopefully Poitras & Lysell trend in the right direction.

13 playoff games with group is pretty good effort.

Interesting summer coming I think.

SonnyBoy

Jan 25, 2022
Some guys got some much needed playoff experience too. This year will only make us stronger in the long run, it’s a very different feeling than last season imo

They just need a guy or two to take all that extra attention off of Pasta, that’s priority 1

He had places to score. In these playoffs he averaged almost 25 shot attempts to score one goal. 97 total shots attempted and 4 goals. Those are just awful numbers.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
The shitty part for me is there’s absolutely zero other sports that I like. I can’t even stand the NHL.

I hope this is the end of Maroon in Boston. It was a failed experiment.

The only reason Maroon was here is because of the Lucic debacle, I honestly don’t blame Sweeney for that at all, and also don’t hold any ill will towards Maroon given his age and the fact that he had back surgery just months ago.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
If his $3,687,500 cap hit was used else where it could have given the Bruins another top 9 forward .

The key going forward is to minimize poor cap spending. If Forbert and Gryz were not eating $6,687,500 in cap space who knows? The dead cap space left from 37&46 is a gamble that was worth taking last year.
If Sweeney spends wisely over the summer , we should be fortunate enough as Bruin's fans to continue to cheer for a contending team.
IMO as a Bruin Fan we should be thankful for what we are getting from our Bruins
Add another $5,000,00 for your back-up-goalie.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I think if I told you at the beginning of the year that the bruins would finish second in the division and go 47-20-15. Marchand would fill the huge shoes left by Bergeron and be a great captain. Pastrnak would have 110pts. Zacha 59pts and Coyle 60pts would hold their own in the top 2 center spots. Fill in guys Geekie 40pts, JVR 38pts, Heinen 36pts, Shattenkirk 26pts would all over perform their low end contracts. Poitras would make the team at 19 years old and show great potential. Lohrei would not only end up being called up but would hold his own on the top pair in the Playoffs. We would beat the leafs in the first round with a heroic game 7 OT victory. We would fall in the second round in a six game battle against the Panthers but Jeremy Swayman takes the #1 spot in net and is the teams MVP in the playoffs. I think 99% of us would have signed up for that. We all knew this was a transition year and I think this team battled and should be proud of the year they put together.

Lots of cap space coming soon. Get ready to add some pieces to take a run at the cup next year.

Go Bruins!
This

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad