Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Two issues.

Nesn: Carolina Panthers? Really?

Brad: You were stupid to not be truthful about how you felt when recovering from a concussion and I hope Bergeron tells you that to your face because even he wouldn't do that. Not with a concussion.

Screenshot_20240517_230521_Chrome.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Bradely and Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I expected Maroon to be borderline worthless but he managed to miss even that expectation.

Depth low end players impact games as well. Remember Thornton-Campbell-Paille winning games against NYR a decade ago? 2011 vs Vancouver?

The version of 4th lines Montgomery was limited to due to Maroon was the opposite of impactful and often a negative, rarely neutral, and extremely rarely positive.

Maroon is by far the slowest and worst player in the NHL at this point, yet he played every game.
Bruins "depth" players won them G1.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I disagree. Disappointed with the end result, and thought they should have played better in this game, certainly. But I really doubt that most of us would have believed they would get this far in the playoffs if we were asked at the beginning of the season. The turnover in personnel was huge. Given the amount of “star power” on this edition of the team, I don’t think they did too bad. Should be an interesting off-season. Hope we can land a true #1 centre.
They beat the Leafs the only team more inept than the Bruins in the playoffs lately

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
I disagree. I’d rather be in the playoffs than not. If we’re in the playoffs, we have a chance. And I don’t want my team to suck for three (or more) years.

You can't win in the playoffs without talent. This year they don't have the talent to make a run so it's fine, last year they were the best regular season team ever and in finished worse than this year.

So at what point do we hold management accountable?

The bruins made the playoffs but this wasn't a playoff team.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I just gotta keep reminding myself that they way overachieved this year, and that they'll have 22.5 mil in cap space (with Linus on the roster) and only Swayman as a "must sign".

Sweeney positioned the Bruins almost perfectly for this summer with the cards he had due to going all in last year, while still keeping the team competitive. So he does deserve some props for that.

Now if he and Bruins management screw up this summer, then I'll be mad, but not now. The loss stings yes, but I never would have picked this rag-tag team of vets way past their prime, never heard of before they laced up, etc. to win a round, never mind compete for 1st in the division.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How about we don't pay guys like Maroon, JVR, Heinen, Shattenkirk, Forbort, Gryz, Peeke, Brown. They all at one time or another were taking spots from youth like Beecher, Lohrei, Brazeau, Lauko etc.... I wanna see the Bruins roster spots be given to guys were developing from within not filling out the roster with warm body has-beens at the expense of our youth. Bruins always have had a history of bumping guys who deserve a shot for redundant vets to round out our roster.

Do I need to explain it more or did ya figure out what I'm going on about? 🤦

Handing people spots is a horrible way to develop talent and teach them accountability. It’s the move you make when you have no other option because you suck. They brought in a bunch of guys in one year deals so the kids could take it. And they did!

You know Peeke is younger than Brazeau, right?

Reactions: KWbruin and Gordoff

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
McAvoy had a terrible playoffs but the amount of hate he’s getting here is ridiculous.
He’s not a leader back there, not his fault he still is a great player but he needs a number 1 guy to lean on to calm him down. The year I think Chara retired I was all in on them getting Petriangelo in FA for this very reason. Everyone was clamoring for offense but this was more of a priority for me.

MartyLapointe20

Dec 20, 2023
Both of those Fla goals tonight were so preventable. 1st one - debrusk blocks the shot - the pucks just drops down, and then you 3 guys looking at the puck - debrusk is waving at it on the ice, wotherspoon jumps up but gets poked simultaneously with his goofy clear attempt, and geekies at a standstill looking over both of them and doesn’t pick anyone up. 2nd one - not a great rebound by swayman imo - soft shot from the point… non threatening rush. Bs had numbers defensively. Wotherspoon just screened him. Like Pang said - how does that even get through him (legs wide open). Swayman couldn’t see it but he needs to seal the short side. Seems like most of the goals against Swayman this playoff run were our guys screening him.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This season is over. They went further than I thought by a game. IMO it is time to clean house during this off-season. A Rebuild of the Boston Bruins is necessary so that they draft better, so that they manage to Cap money better, so that they manage Free Agency better, so that they manage their Trades better and so that the Boston Bruins Fans get a Cup playoff team not a playoff team thar struggles every season. If I could dump the owners as a starter I would it would be a big and total Rebuild.

Oh Well, there is one thing I am sure of is that there will be a new season.

Reactions: Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Both of those Fla goals tonight were so preventable. 1st one - debrusk blocks the shot - the pucks just drops down, and then you 3 guys looking at the puck - debrusk is waving at it on the ice, wotherspoon jumps up but gets poked simultaneously with his goofy clear attempt, and geekies at a standstill looking over both of them and doesn’t pick anyone up. 2nd one - not a great rebound by swayman imo - soft shot from the point… non threatening rush. Bs had numbers defensively. Wotherspoon just screened him. Like Pang said - how does that even get through him (legs wide open). Swayman couldn’t see it but he needs to seal the short side. Seems like most of the goals against Swayman this playoff run were our guys screening him.
Florida made the simple play, which was a shot on net.

In either of those instances, had the roles been reversed I bet we would’ve seen Boston attempt six more passes before trying to shoot.

Reactions: KWbruin

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That guy deserved a 2 goal lead. Our upfront scoring is putrid and costed us.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
It actually makes me ill to know that Florida or New York will make it to the finals. I’m officially on the Dallas bandwagon.
This is one of the few times I'm cheering for the Rangers after we are out, because I want Trouba to take off Bennett's head, and Kreider to make Tkachuk choke on his pacifier

..and it'll be the first time I'm rooting for Dallas to win the Cup

I actually think it might be a great series between these two teams anyways

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He’s got one year left and he had a hell of a year coming off double hip surgery. Marchy’s got at least 2 seasons left with the Olympics looming in 2026.
I think he can play two more years but the top 6 has to be upgraded. It’s too much to ask of Marchand at his age to consistently play well . It won’t happen but I’d rather see him utilized in a 3rd line role .

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bruins got as far as anyone realistically could have hoped. The Panthers were the better team, so are the Rangers. Thought Boston did have a shot against Florida but they needed a lot to go right and ultimately just couldn't execute enough on their chances when they had them. They battled, gave us a solid regular season and 2 good rounds of playoff action, that's a more than fair return.

The biggest positives in the playoffs have been Sway, DeBrusk and Carlo. Saw good things too from Lohrei, Peeke, Wotherspoon, Brazeau and Heinen. Thought Beecher and Geekie were ok. Freddy was decent against the Leafs then disappeared again against Florida.

Pasta and McAvoy as the two genuine A-grade players on the team (other than Sway) are very good but unfortunately they aren't playoff warriors. No extra gear. Perhaps if you put better players around them they can elevate but they aren't going to do it by themselves.

Marchand has a year left on his current deal and will rightly stay captain next year, but he's firmly in the twilight now. Management will have to think hard about how best to use him next season.

Gryz, Shatty, JvR and Ullmark will all be shown the door. Maybe Forbort too. The Maroon experiment failed. Lindholm, Coyle and Zacha all underwhelmed when it mattered most. I think Coyle will be fine in his proper place as a 2/3C behind better talent. Zacha they need to work out whether he's worth keeping as a middle 6 wing or would be better off traded. As a center he's done. Hampus is decent overall, contract isn't too bad, but is he still the right guy to fill out the top 4 alongside Mac, Lohrei and Carlo? Something to think about.

All in all, a good season for a transition year. Made a respectable showing for the Centennial which is clearly what ownership wanted. Some good building blocks in place, but definitely some holes to fill. The cap space is there, but assets and available players are limited, so getting all the right and necessary pieces is not going to be easy. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out.

Last edited:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd be 100% okay with a 4th line rotation of
55/19/43/94 (if they're ok with Lauko taking faceoffs for the odd game)

I think it's huge plus when 4th liners can kill penalties and Beecher and Heinen both can, and Lauko should be able to be at least passable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad