Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
And then, the playoffs happened.

And he did his usual disappearing act.
I'd love hienen on the fourth line. Solid in his own zone, pk, and can make a play here or there. Bruins were asking him to do more than they should have. I will say he was solid in the regular season, but who cares, in the playoffs he's a 4th liner on a cup challenging team.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Kid gets so much hate on this board, but he works his ass off, and plays hard. He had a monster game tonight. this story reminds me of when he finished a game and scored the game winner with a fracture in his leg
Yes, but he's going to want to be paid. I don't think the Bruins are going to give him what he wants. The consistency issue is far and away my biggest problem with Jake.

Now, if you decide that he's a playoff performer, and you're willing to live with the regular season inconsistency, fine.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

Last edited:

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
Disappointing for sure, but still a massive overachievement by this roster. You literally need 2 top 6 forwards and another mid tier shutdown D on this team. I thought they'd be a bubble team and go out in the first round or miss the playoffs by and point or 2. I just hope Sweeney makes the right moves. I'm assuming he'll still be in charge. We need to go hard after a #1C and either a 2nd line winger or (my preference) a solid #2C. That's IN ADDITION to filling any holes from letting players walk. And TBH, I'm not in the trade everyone and blow it up camp, but I wouldn't immediately say no if a good offer for McAvoy was possible. I am not as down on him as some comments I've seen here, but he was probably the disappointment of the playoffs for me. Followed by Pasta but I can excuse that since he doesn't actually have a line usually. It's just him and whatever spare parts they saddle him with. Cap hell is over for them this summer and they damn well better take advantage and make some smart moves.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
McAvoy had a terrible playoffs but the amount of hate he’s getting here is ridiculous.
He's still a top 15 D in the league. Not easy to find those guys. I don't want to be too hard on him. He plays hard minutes. It's just so frustrating watching him make pivotal errors. Like trying to deke through two players with less than 2 minutes left in a game 6 1-1 tie when your team is hemming the other team in and is having a good shift.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'd love hienen on the fourth line. Solid in his own zone, pk, and can make a play here or there. Bruins were asking him to do more than they should have. I will say he was solid in the regular season, but who cares, in the playoffs he's a 4th liner on a cup challenging team.

Agreed.

Only issue is that if he were a 4th liner, he’d be blocking some muscle, Beecher, Lauko, and possibly Lysell or Merkulov if they choose to ease them into the league that way.

Reactions: northeastern

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
They accomplished quite a bit, with not very much.

They exceeded my regular season expectations, and playoff expectations.

Given what walked out the door, it’s hard for me to be upset beyond the “it’s over” sadness.

Most interesting offseason in a while. Looking forward to it

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Marchand is the least of this teams problems. It's sad that at his age he's still the best player on his line. Here's hoping we can add a couple top 6 centers/forwards.

Brad, we’re looking to take a step back and retool. How would you like a shot at a cup elsewhere if we can swing it to the long term benefit of the team?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
1 goal in an elimination game just isn't going to cut it. Frustrating because they had plenty of chances for a 2nd and I think that would have done it with how the game was playing out. Needed more out of McAvoy and Pasta this series. Marchy I thought actually played pretty well in this one, set up his linemates for several great chances. Think Sweeney needed to add another consistent top 6 player at the deadline, one that could have helped out the PP. Tarasenko went for a 3rd and 4th, Duclair even less. Worst was the home playoff performances, your fans deserve better than that crap.

Still, lots of positives this year. Young guys looked good, need more time but I think the Bruins do a nice job on developing solid depth contributors. Swayman is a straight G. Take it from a Flames fan, you do not want to be without a 1C for long. Calgary has been trying to find a great one since Joe Nieuwendyk left. Replacing Bergy and Krejci is a tall task but unless they're thinking about a rebuild that should be Sweeney's top priority. I'd start with signing Elias Lindholm.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed.

Only issue is that if he were a 4th liner, he’d be blocking some muscle, Beecher, Lauko, and possibly Lysell or Merkulov if they choose to ease them into the league that way.

Merkulov and Lysel are not coming to Boston to play 4th line. They've be useless in that role

82 games seasons are very long. Having a guy who can play all up and down the linup is an important asset to have. And if you don't perform in the regular season it doesn't matter if you are a postseason performer, because you won't be there

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
But he’s not part of the solution.

And, anyone in the top 9 who gets outscored by roster fodder like Maroon, JVR and Wotherspoon in the playoffs is certainly part of the problem.
I don’t necessarily disagree that we can do without him. He did more than others IMO this playoffs. At least he hustled. Yes, we have too many JAGs, including Patrick Brown, who is under contract for one more year.

My point is that our problems lie much more in our top 6 than our bottom 6. I have very little faith Sweeney can remedy that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad