Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 4 - The officials throw The Bear off the cliff - Sunrise 3 BRUINS 2 - Panthers lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Challenge Initiated By: Boston

Type of Challenge: Goaltender Interference

Result: Original call is confirmed – Goal Florida

Explanation: Video review supported the Referees’ call on the ice that that the shove by Florida’s Sam Bennett on Charlie Coyle and the subsequent contact with Jeremy Swayman did not prevent Swayman from playing his position in the crease prior to Bennett’s goal.

Penalty:
2:00 minor penalty: Delay of Game – Unsuccessful Challenge​

I've tried to think of any way in which I can rationalise this explanation in a way that makes sense, and I've got nothing. It defies all logic.

That said, if you wanted to sum up the modern Bruins in one piece of footage, Bennett easily shoving one oblivious Bruin into another, then causally slotting the puck into the open net, while getting away with blatant interference, just 2 days after taking out the Bruins' captain with zero repercussions from either the league or his opponents, would be a pretty good contender. Too soft and passive, willing to get pushed around and just take it, from the very top downwards. Sweeney and Neely should be made to watch this on repeat until they finally realise just where they've taken this organisation and its roster, why it continues to fall short in the playoffs, and why, ultimately, it's their fault.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Reactions: BTO

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I've tried to think of any way in which I can rationalise this explanation in a way that makes sense, and I've got nothing. It defies all logic.

That said, if you wanted to sum up the modern Bruins in one piece of footage, Bennett easily shoving one oblivious Bruin into another, then causally slotting the puck into the open net, while getting away with blatant interference, just 2 days after taking out the Bruins' captain with zero repercussions from either the league or his opponents, would be a pretty good contender. Too soft and passive, willing to get pushed around and just take it, from the very top downwards. Sweeney and Neely should be made to watch this on repeat until they finally realise just where they've taken this organisation and its roster, why it continues to fall short in the playoffs, and why, ultimately, it's their fault.
I think the problem is they didn’t call the cross check on Coyle ,either they didn’t feel it was worth a penalty being called,or they just decided screw it were letting it go.So if it’s not a penalty how can the challenge disallow the goal ,you can’t challenge a penalty call or no call.

No it doesn’t
If you’re the Soviet Red Army team you might be right but if you’re a team that lacks talent to score it sure as hell does.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Great chances mean nothing when you cannot finish. Let's face it is all over but the crying.
"Quality shots" do not work.

They certainly don't work in the playoffs.

And when Montgomery conditions a team to look for quote unquote quality shots all the time in the regular season, big surprise they try to look for them in the playoffs.

There is so much more I might say, but it's late and I must to bed.

I refer all to the previous Gretzky quote.

✌️😔

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
They could’ve made it 3 or 4 -0 f they score on their breakaways. Oh well. Not sure I’ll watch the next game. Their too soft for my liking. Constantly let up when they can light some guys up.
Your final comment has been going on for years. One moment that's always stuck with me for no reason is when Nick Ritchie was on the team, one of the playoff games against the Capitals he had a chance to demolish someone with a hit, perfectly lined up and the final result was as small of a nudge as possible.

I'm not sure that lughead can spell his own name, there's no chance he's going as soft as he did there unless it's something they have had drilled into them by the coaches for years to the point he couldn't forget.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Nope high danger means simuch more watch the game

Nope watch th break always and chances
Clearly not they are about to lose to the same team same strategy as last year. I guess the bruins players can be happy the 2 shots 0 goals they took in the 3rd were high quality while Florida had 12 shots and 3 goals on low quality shots.

Reactions: Gordoff

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019

Siri, what is goaltender interference?

Inside sources at the highest levels report that Siri actually has never seen a hockey game, and doesn’t have the slightest clue about the rules or how they’re applied, which Sunday night put the AI tech genie and guardian angel on an even keel with two referees at TD Garden and the NHL itself.
That's probably wanted happened in Toronto during the review, they couldn't remember what the rule was.
Beers read the entire rule verbatim during the game, what he read was the goal should've been disallowed and Bennett should've been penalized.
He was flabbergasted about that and the Marchand debacle, he kept saying Bennett should've been suspended.
I can see the team was so distracted by the whole mess, it affected their play.

Reactions: BTO

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Your final comment has been going on for years. One moment that's always stuck with me for no reason is when Nick Ritchie was on the team, one of the playoff games against the Capitals he had a chance to demolish someone with a hit, perfectly lined up and the final result was as small of a nudge as possible.

I'm not sure that lughead can spell his own name, there's no chance he's going as soft as he did there unless it's something they have had drilled into them by the coaches for years.
If I can put my tin foil hat on for a second, after Lucic threatened to kill Dale Weise in the handshake line the league told the team to knock the “big bad bruins” shit off and they’ve been dismantling that identity since.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
The only people who are allowed to complain are those who expected the team to get past the first round back in September. After 82 games, people are just now figuring out that goaltending is the key to Bruin victory this season? On the bright side, I thought Mac looked much more like himself, so I have little concern for his future. I don’t care what level you are playing at, momentum is a real factor in every game, and we have known that Florida pushes hard when they are down. Bruins stopped hitting due to the momentum shift, and the refs were a serious contributor to the shift. Anybody calling to fire Monty and/or Sweeney doesn’t know hockey. Easy for keyboard warriors to tell Monty to tank a large fine with no gain. Do they expect the NHL to give the win to the Bruins after Monty complains? The future is bright with this team, just need 1-2 more top six weapons and then this team will be stacked. Morgan Geekie, Charlie Coyle, and Danton Heinen have been in the top six and people are complaining about results. The losses always have way more posts than the wins on hfBruins, if you only tune in to hate the bruins then please keep it to yourself.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The only people who are allowed to complain are those who expected the team to get past the first round back in September. After 82 games, people are just now figuring out that goaltending is the key to Bruin victory this season? On the bright side, I thought Mac looked much more like himself, so I have little concern for his future. I don’t care what level you are playing at, momentum is a real factor in every game, and we have known that Florida pushes hard when they are down. Bruins stopped hitting due to the momentum shift, and the refs were a serious contributor to the shift. Anybody calling to fire Monty and/or Sweeney doesn’t know hockey. Easy for keyboard warriors to tell Monty to tank a large fine with no gain. Do they expect the NHL to give the win to the Bruins after Monty complains? The future is bright with this team, just need 1-2 more top six weapons and then this team will be stacked. Morgan Geekie, Charlie Coyle, and Danton Heinen have been in the top six and people are complaining about results. The losses always have way more posts than the wins on hfBruins, if you only tune in to hate the bruins then please keep it to yourself.
The last top 6 center drafted or traded for by the Bruins was Tyler Seguin, that in itself is a fireable offense for a gm.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Clearly not they are about to lose to the same team same strategy as last year. I guess the bruins players can be happy the 2 shots 0 goals they took in the 3rd were high quality while Florida had 12 shots and 3 goals on low quality shots.
Barkov was quality sadly

I know hockey and Monty is a knob.You don't allow your 2 best players to take punches in head and do nothing.Been watching hockey since fking 70s and good coaches don't allow that to their star players.Pasta saved his job vs Leafs bud.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The punks from Florida are not the 70s Habs. They could not carry their equipment bags.
I agree

..my point was, that it's been a recurring theme where good Bruins teams from many years ago also had to beat another good team...(and the refs)......and it's just too hard to overcome both

I've seen it happen too many times in my life, and that's one of the reasons the Bruins have only won 6 Stanley Cups in 100 years IMO

I'm not saying this Bruins team have a good chance of winning the SC this year, but without fair officiating, they have zero chance

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Great summary.

For all their regular season success they have built a Dingo pack roster that fights, but when playoffs come around they are fighting Hyenas and Lions and can’t protect their territory.

They are all likeable and high character guys but they just aren’t built for deep playoff runs and this series like last year is showing the divide between the packs.

Just not as good as they once were.

And this series shows why they signed Lucic and how much they need a few more muckers like him in these types of series.

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario
I think the problem is they didn’t call the cross check on Coyle ,either they didn’t feel it was worth a penalty being called,or they just decided screw it were letting it go.So if it’s not a penalty how can the challenge disallow the goal ,you can’t challenge a penalty call or no call.

If you’re the Soviet Red Army team you might be right but if you’re a team that lacks talent to score it sure as hell does.
If that’s the case then why would you even be allowed to challenge? Make it an unchallengeable thing if you can’t overturn a goal where there was no call.

I think they just completely blew it four times. Twice from the refs missing the penalty and then allowing the goal (not that it was the case here but there’s instances all the time where they disallow a goal but don’t call a penalty due to “incidental contact”), and then another two times from the situation room. It’s almost unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad