Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 3 - Sunrise 6 BRUINS 2 - Florida leads series 2-1

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
I’m okay if they play with maximum effort and lose to a better team. That’s not what happened these past two games. Sense of urgency is lacking. Inexcusable to come out with no juice last night in front of the home crowd. Completely flat. 8 shots on goal halfway through the game. It was a pathetic effort. That’s the issue I have with these past 2 games.
The B's often show up with a lack of urgency at home games. Distracted and not ready to play at game time. If I owned the team I'd pay to put them in a hotel when we're at home so they have team unity and are more focused. Can't afford to squander the home ice advantage with miserable performances.

At this point I'd take Greg Campbell. He couldn't fight worth a shit but he'd stand up for his teammates every time and that is a damn sight more than can be said for the present edition of the Boston Bruins. :madfire:
But, but....the league has changed.
I'm scared.gif

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
the era of "enforcers" passed once Shawn Thornton went away..... the league changed to what you're seeing out west.... you need a player or multiple players that have skillsets.... the specialized era is over.... hence why the League ended "Staged fights" LIKE 3 FIGHTS IN 4 sec...
No one is talking about fighting. Florida wouldn't fight anyone anyways. Their game is to hit hard, agitate and goad you into taking dumb penalties. The Bruins need some hammers to counter them

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Not the first time Marchand has taken a questionable hit and it was crickets from his teammates…

The other side of that is they had the best view, it’s possible Bennetts hand didn’t make any significant contact with Marchands head.

There’s angles where it’s understandable to assume it did but I haven’t seen a concrete one yet

That's true, unfortunately. On the hit itself, I'd agree there's no definitive proof of the exact nature of the contact. But I'd say three things: 1) Marchand got a concussion, and a punch/high contact seems to be the only way he could have gotten it because his head hits neither the ice nor the boards when he went down, 2) Bennett's got form on these sneaky high hits, and 3) Monty made it very clear after the game that he thought the contact was high and intentional. So whether or not it was dirty or not, the Bruins thought it was, but did nothing.

I'll be the first to say that I think many hockey fans are stuck in the 1980s, when in reality for better or worse the game has changed and a lot of the stuff people call for in response to perceived cheap shots and bad hits, or folks wanting to see line brawls or whatever else, they just aren't going to happen. But when your captain is taken down and as a team you think it's an illegal hit to the head, with intent by a guy who's known for this type of stuff, I still think there has to be some kind of response. You can't let it go completely unanswered. That the Bruins did was pretty damning and just another sign that the Panthers can do what they want to them with minimal repercussions.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
I remember the Blues series in 2019 like it was yesterday. Seems like they were pounding us. Every chance they got. Their lower tier players were quick with the dirty hits to the point of being suspended and always seemed to injure our players. Look how that ended up for them. Toughness still plays a very large part in this league, especially in the playoffs.

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
No one is talking about fighting. Florida wouldn't fight anyone anyways. Their game is to hit hard, agitate and goad you into taking dumb penalties. The Bruins need some hammers to counter them
I'm talking about fighting. Bennett fights. If Florida wants to turtle, let them turtle, get more shots in. The Bruins need to initiate, not counter. Do it at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Gordoff

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
the era of "enforcers" passed once Shawn Thornton went away..... the league changed to what you're seeing out west.... you need a player or multiple players that have skillsets.... the specialized era is over.... hence why the League ended "Staged fights" LIKE 3 FIGHTS IN 4 sec...
That kind of thinking is why the Bruins are getting beat up.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Anyone else just tired of us getting eliminated by southern trash markets every year the last 6 or 7 years? Aside from the Islanders in 2021, it's just been southern garbage.

It’s where all the players are going due to more favorable tax situations

Reactions: Oates2Neely

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I remember the Blues series in 2019 like it was yesterday. Seems like they were pounding us. Every chance they got. Their lower tier players were quick with the dirty hits to the point of being suspended and always seemed to injure our players. Look how that ended up for them. Toughness still plays a very large part in this league, especially in the playoffs.
It’s why a guy like Zadorov is gonna get overpaid. And you know what? Come playoffs whatever he’s making is probably not gonna be an overpay. Gotta have some punishers and there are fewer of them than there used to be

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
I can’t agree when people say rebuild, rebuild. You’re putting a lot of faith in draft picks, which of course don’t always pan out. Your team is going to suck for probably five years or more. If I have to choose between my team being a bottom feeder and getting into the playoffs as an eighth seed, I will choose the latter every time. Eighth seeds make it to the final sometimes, remember? Florida last year. Edmonton in 2006. LA won the cup as an eighth seed. I’m guessing there are other examples. Watching a playoff team or watching a lousy team. To me, it’s not a difficult choice.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

Berube also was a master at working the officials with his comments

Reactions: Gordoff and Zillah

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I can’t agree when people say rebuild, rebuild. You’re putting a lot of faith in draft picks, which of course don’t always pan out. Your team is going to suck for probably five years or more. If I have to choose between my team being a bottom feeder and getting into the playoffs as an eighth seed, I will choose the latter every time. Eighth seeds make it to the final sometimes, remember? Florida last year. Edmonton in 2006. LA won the cup as an eighth seed. I’m guessing there are other examples. Watching a playoff team or watching a lousy team. To me, it’s not a difficult choice.
What you say is true and I'd rather be in the playoffs as well, but you also have to consider it's pretty much impossible to win the cup without star players on your roster. So if you can find a way to get a Stone and Eichel etc. the way Vegas did maybe you don't need the draft but generally you have to draft your high end talent. Trading away all the 1st rounders and maybe missing on Lysell, we haven't really gotten to where we are better, we just get slowly worse.

We have a plethora of bottom 6 players but very few high end players. It's not a recipe for future success.

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
If the league aren't going to do anything about a blatant sucker punch to one of their stars then i want Bennett's head on a stick, no being nice and offering him a fight, i want him looking over his shoulder every time he's out there on the ice. Don't care how long the suspension is, make it worth the time and money lost when someone cheap shots your captain like that.
I hate the Matt Cooke, Tom Wilson, Trouba type dirt bags who repeatedly cross the line and look to injure other players. They are like lawyers in that there seems to be professional courtesy where they don't target each other. It never fails that these guys do their worst in the playoffs with minimal punishment to their teams. The Bruins need a sheriff to take care of things.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I realize KPD is not popular here and I'm not a fan either, but the question is valid:

It was absolutely a dirty play, and the Bruins should have worked out it was during the intermission even if they didn't know it at the time. But....crickets. We can criticize the league all we want, and with good reason, but when the Bruins don't do anything to protect their own, it's a much more immediate problem.

Valid points. I don't know for sure if they knew it was a dirty play though? It seemed like the bench knew, and you can understand why they didn't at first, but at 4-0 it's inexcusable if they knew.

For some reason I think Cassidy and now Montgomery want their guys to be robotic. Stay in your lane, peel off hits and get back on D and play whistle to whistle without incident. Sticking up for each other has always seemed to be a question from us here, over the years after the glory years.

I think they heeded the NHL's (warning) a little too much but they did get boned on the Lauko thing.

Bottom line though Boston probably just isn't as good as Florida, but the effort the past two games is a major indictment on everyone in that locker room from the coaches to the players.

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
I hate the Matt Cooke, Tom Wilson, Trouba type dirt bags who repeatedly cross the line and look to injure other players. They are like lawyers in that there seems to be professional courtesy where they don't target each other. It never fails that these guys do their worst in the playoffs with minimal punishment to their teams. The Bruins need a sheriff to take care of things.

"Of all the things you must say about the Boston Bruins, it starts with this: they have their teammates' backs"

Jack Edwards

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Berube also was a master at working the officials with his comments

The sad thing is that whining to the officials publicly after the game really shouldn't affect the officiating going forward, but it does in the NHL. For reasons unknown Montgomery refuses to do it in this series where Boston actually have legitimate complaints. I hate it when your coaches/management don't go to bat publicly for your team when history shows that it works. Monty is not a playoff coach, no fire in his belly and a poor motivator when it comes to the Bruins starting on time in crucial games.

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
"Of all the things you must say about the Boston Bruins, it starts with this: they have their teammates' backs"

Jack Edwards
That used to be the case. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night. I realize that you can't go scorched earth in the press. That said, I am pretty frustrated by the coaches reaction to this. Uncle Fester is more comfortable calling out his own players than criticizing the refs or calling out the other team. I am pretty sure that Cassidy would have have been in the refs face with the replays between periods if he was in charge.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So with this greasy Bennett play. Will anyone hold him accountable for it? Would like to see someone do literally anything.
Sadly I think we know the answer to that. Bennett also has that bad hand so he isn't going to drop them. It would be nice though if the Bruins injured one of the stars from another team once in awhile. It's also pretty telling to me that Pastrnak BY FAR gets hit harder and more often than any other superstar. It's been open season on him all year, especially now. You have teams like the Rangers and Colorado building up multiple layers of toughness on their teams to step up when needed. If Panarin or MacKinnon got cheaped like Marchand, or fought like Pasta the game before would Tkachuk or Bennett gone unchallenged?

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Yeah, they either tried to play preventative defence or the B's finally woke up.....or both

When the Bruins go balls to the wall and forecheck like they did in the third period they can beat any team if they pot some goals

Why did they wait so long to wake up?? They didn't come into the game with a good gameplan...and that's to do with coaching IMO

Monty was out-coached last night
Bit of both

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yea but Bennett gets nothing.GeorgeParros is the biggest goof in such a position I have ever seen.

They are not doing nothing
Parros= fox, Players= chickens

Honestly I dont think the Bruins stand a chance of winning this series . Im ok they got this far. Thats me.

But I do want them to kick the shit outta any Cat they can. If youre gonna go out, go out with them paying a price.

View attachment 869004
^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^&THAT^^^^^^^^^^^^and the horse they road in on, f*** him up too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad