Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 3 - Sunrise 6 BRUINS 2 - Florida leads series 2-1

NeelyOrr

Dec 23, 2018
Central NY
One thing I noticed tonight The crowd was angry at the team which seldom happens but you could feel it.

Charlie Jacobs fears the marketplace will not tolerate a rebuild and Sweeney has done a decent job keeping the team competitive in the Atlantic but they also have become soft.
You can't call yourselves BRUINS and then play like pandas.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Problem is Bruins dump it in and send a 1 man forecheck that's not doing anything other than having one forward caught up ice. If they want to pressure Fla they need to commit more bodies to the effort.
The Bruins very rarely are able to keep a team hemmed in their own end for any length of time even when they have possession of the puck ,they don’t cycle the puck well,don’t use the points well.Definitely nothing like how they get hemmed in their own end for long stretches.It’s been a weakness the entire season,and something I think we all knew would be intensified come playoffs. For some reason Montgomery hasn’t been able to fix it .

Reactions: ProdigalFan

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Put Montour with this p***y line up and see how he does. Montour is a scrub that's benefited playing on a team full of ass holes.

My boy is is 100 times the player, Im sure you though Kevan Miller was a great d man as well,

Go root for Florida you like him so much
Montour has a way better shot than Charlie which is part of the reason he should not be on PP1. Problem is no one else on D has that kind of shot either , Shatty's is decent but has other flaws and Loheri is still growing and learning but has potential.

Exactly- they are rabid fans

Team looks like a monster
When winning , a lot of them crawl out of the woodwork come playoff time.

Reactions: DKH

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Pasta is a side show, What was that fight in a blowout going to accomplish?

Pasta gets paid to score goals let start with his doing that first during a games rather than get his ass kicked for no reason.

The fact he asked the coach for permission to show emotion is all we need to see about this entire team from the coach on down.

Staged rage is a farse
The Bruins pushed back against a team that were sore winners and weren't getting penalties called on them. I have no issue with the Bruins' response in game 2. The issue is the reaction and how the Bruins played in game 3. I think if the Bruins came out flying on the forecheck and hit the Panthers every chance they got, your opinion may be different.

Fair enough but if he saved my job series before I tell my players to deal with it regardless.Funny thing is it never stopped Florida from being dirty.
Agreed. For some reason, the Bruins are trying to abide by the rules and be gentlemen. The Panthers didn't give a shit last night, why should the Bruins? Why do the Bruins have to change their game? The Bruins were the hammer (for the most part) against the Leafs, why not against the Panthers? What's preventing them?

It's aggravating because we have seen this since Cassidy was the coach.

Reactions: chizzler and Secord

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Montour has a way better shot than Charlie which is part of the reason he should not be on PP1. Problem is no one else on D has that kind of shot either , Shatty's is decent but has other flaws and Loheri is still growing and learning but has potential.

When winning , a lot of them crawl out of the woodwork come playoff time.
Charlie`s biggest issue is the time he takes to get rid of his shot, too often he looks for the perfect angle and that extra millisecond can make all the difference between getting it through and not.
I still love the guy though

Reactions: Hookslide and lopey

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
MCAvoy has been a hot mess two playoffs in a row ,this excuse people come up with oh but he plays a lot of minutes and he gets hit a lot ,no shit it’s the playoffs what did they expect.lol
I do not blame McAvoy. McAvoy's struggles (from my perspective) are more a result of poor strategic team defense. I would blame whomever is running the defense and team defensive structure.

I have seen a gradual deterioration of the team's defensive structure over the last two years as they are trying to integrate an up tempo transition game at the cost of defensive responsibility. That might work regular season but remember the playoffs are a different beast. McAvoy has not progressed as he was previously and seems to have stagnated in some areas of his game over the last couple of years. Boston is struggling because they are still trying to play a regular season defensive strategy in the playoffs, it just doesn't work.

As I've said before, and elsewhere, the playoffs are about matchups and adjustments having a game plan tailored to counteract your opponent and to make adjustments as the series progresses. You cannot just run what worked in the regular season out in the playoffs, you'll get exposed, you need to make adjustments. The playoffs are a lot more about man to man, one on one battles.

Question: what is Montgomery's game plane specifically tailored to counteract Florida? Does he have one?

I don't blame the players, I do believe they are trying. I believe in the players, I believe they are capable, I expect more from them, and believe if they play to their abilities they can turn this series around. And as we all know, some players are playing in positions above their effectiveness level. But, I do believe as a team they could be deployed differently with a strategic purpose.

Players will perform to the level of what is expected and demanded of them; that lies with clearly communicating a specific game plan, motivational coaching, instruction, and in game adjustments. It's about doing whatever has to be done to win the game, feel good feelings aside. Finesse game is for the regular season, be willing to do the dirty work.

For a player like McAvoy, or any Boston player on the ice, they don't have to be the best player on the ice, they only need to be better than the player their up against at any given moment, ... win their battles. Be the better team by winning the smaller individual battles on the ice.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I do not blame McAvoy. McAvoy's struggles (from my perspective) are more a result of poor strategic team defense. I would blame whomever is running the defense and team defensive structure.

I have seen a gradual deterioration of the team's defensive structure over the last two years as they are trying to integrate an up tempo transition game at the cost of defensive responsibility. That might work regular season but remember the playoffs are a different beast. McAvoy has not progressed as he was previously and seems to have stagnated in some areas of his game over the last couple of years. Boston is struggling because they are still trying to play a regular season defensive strategy in the playoffs, it just doesn't work.

As I've said before, and elsewhere, the playoffs are about matchups and adjustments having a game plan tailored to counteract your opponent and to make adjustments as the series progresses. You cannot just run what worked in the regular season out in the playoffs, you'll get exposed, you need to make adjustments. The playoffs are a lot more about man to man, one on one battles.

Question: what is Montgomery's game plane specifically tailored to counteract Florida? Does he have one?

I don't blame the players, I do believe they are trying. I believe in the players, I believe they are capable, I expect more from them, and believe if they play to their abilities they can turn this series around. And as we all know, some players are playing in positions above their effectiveness level. But, I do believe as a team they could be deployed differently with a strategic purpose.

Players will perform to the level of what is expected and demanded of them; that lies with clearly communicating a specific game plan, motivational coaching, instruction, and in game adjustments. It's about doing whatever has to be done to win the game, feel good feelings aside. Finesse game is for the regular season, be willing to do the dirty work.

For a player like McAvoy, or any Boston player on the ice, they don't have to be the best player on the ice, they only need to be better than the player their up against at any given moment, ... win their battles. Be the better team by winning the smaller individual battles on the ice.
not sure what Monty`s game plan is but I am 99.99% sure it isn`t to go into the locker room after 2 periods with 8 shots, I`m sorry, at some point, this comes down to the players execution and I`m watching players making consistent unforced giveaways, not winning battles on the wall, not going to the net and in the face of Bob, that isn`t a coaching thing, that`s a player thing

game 4 needs to start by cross checking someone in the teeth
should have been the plan in game 3, literally zero nasty carryover after watching your leading scorer drop the mitts with a toolbox in game 2

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
This was a transition year anyway, the Bruins over achieved. I don't love how it's looking, but this season I'll take what I get. Last season still has me angry.

There are many changes needed, a legit 1st line center, more speed and size, and a decision on which goaltender stays. I'd go with Sway and move Ulmark for one of the open needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Where is the main board thread dedicated to Bennett's sucker punch on Marchand?

26hkhPJ5hmdD87HYA.gif

Oh yeah, it's Marchand on the receiving end. Never mind.

I hope he is not concussed but would not be surprised if he is.

Regardless, paging Maroon at :0001 into the next game.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I want Spoons-Peeke.

Really I want Spoons. Don’t care who he’s pared with. Kid should be playing Imo

Peeke couldn’t clear the zone to save his life last night. Every time he touched the puck it felt like a Florida player was the next person to have the puck.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
''the lineup is riddled with holes.''
If this lineup plays the scheme that the coach lays out, ''this is your responsibility, this is your responsibility'', and execute, then good goaltending can do the rest..a la Roy and others. Defense first. imo, the problem is that they don't execute. I don't know if that's a talent issue? Or coaching? The talented guys, McAvoy, Lindholm, Zacha, are the guys who are messing up ''failed to clear''. As for entitlement, I don't want some of the money, I don't want most of the money, I want all the money. The question for me is, is the team moving toward the Cup? What do you think?

I think having any expectation that this team would sniff the Cup this year would have been extremely optimistic. And that's as lightly as I can put that.

It's all connected. We all want to rag on player (a) and player (b) because they're not pulling their weight. The truth is that it's a unit. If the team as a whole is short on talent, physicality (or any other asset) relative to the top teams, that's going to be refelcted in individual plays on players. That doesn't straight up mean those players are bad. They're not lone actors all doing their own thing out on the ice. They have to play with four other skaters at a time.

I hate the fact that they suck at clearing the zone as much as anyone, but that's not just a defense problem. That's a whole team problem. What are the actual options for the defensemen? Usually, you can't see those options as they are beyond the camera frame.

After 10 games, I think almost every single player has taken heat at one time or another because they're "not doing enough". But this year is different than where you have a year where you have just one or two players dragging their line down. This year, it's about the roster as constructed. It relies so much more on will and determination than other teams. Look where a guy like Charlie Coyle is slotted. Look where Morgan Geekie is slotted. How about Pavel Zacha? Look at how easy it is for others teams to hone in on a couple of star forwards and virtually bring the offense to a standstill. Take out the skill players and in turn, the less skilled ones struggle.

This isn't about not trying. It's about not being as good. There's a reason Charlie Coyle has never been a top liner in his career. There's a reason Morgan Geekie didn't play in the top 6 until he was with the Bruins. That's what so many fans refuse to accept. They'd rather revert to this absurd notion that they care more than the players, and if the Bruins just put their best foot forward, it would work out. That they're inherently on a path to the Cup if they just want it as bad as we all do.

The reason they do win playoff games is because they are determined. They aren't up to snuff otherwise.

So to your question if this team is "going toward" the Cup. I don't know. They're down 2-1 in the second round. They're 11 wins away. But I think with a good offseason, and with the unit able to function more efficiently with proportional talent levels in the right places, they will be in a better position going forward than they are now. Pastrnak will be around. I think Marchand has still got a few good years in him. We will see if DeBrusk sticks around. Coyle can come back down to where he belongs. On and on.

Secord

Mar 23, 2013
so frustrated , hell no, pissed off at this team

does anyone hate losing on this team? If so, they don`t play like it. Outhustled, losing almost every battle, stupid decisions with the puck and now Marchand hurt?
You've got it all wrong. Do you think this is the post-game thread of game three at home following Pasta getting punched in the head while down and during which Marchand got probably concussed like we all saw with our own f***ing eyes? No sir, this is the millionth rehash of the low expectation bridge to Marchand pushing 40 / those regular season points tho / hey we still got the Celts or Rangers thread.

Just relax, they'll do better next year vs. San Jose in game 49. That's what really counts.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
not sure what Monty`s game plan is but I am 99.99% sure it isn`t to go into the locker room after 2 periods with 8 shots, I`m sorry, at some point, this comes down to the players execution and I`m watching players making consistent unforced giveaways, not winning battles on the wall, not going to the net and in the face of Bob, that isn`t a coaching thing, that`s a player thing
Sure, the players need to take responsibility for how they've played.
But if the players are lacking confidence, look confused, disoriented, making poor decisions, could it be because they are lacking direction and purpose?
Could it be that subconsciously they feel out matched and physically they are fatigued?
If any of that is even remotely true who's responsibility is it to restore that confidence and focus of the team?
Who's responsibility is it to get the most out of each player by giving them a purpose and belief in themselves?
Maybe the coaching staff leadership is doing all that and the players are just not executing.
Maybe they are simply a 500 team that is grossly overmatched.
Maybe I simply don't like the game plan and strategy.
Believe me, I want this team to win and would do anything at this point to have it happen.
Forgive my passion, Im a competitor, I don't like to lose (I know how to lose honorably), but I will go down fighting.

Reactions: ProdigalFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad