GDT: ECSF: Game 2 - New York Rangers vs Carolina Hurricanes, 7pm ET, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I thought he was fine if not good in game 1.

Just want the game where he takes over. We haven’t gotten that from him in the playoffs since game 3 of the Penguins series 2 years ago. Yeah they lost, but that game wouldn't have been in the realm of winnable if not for him.

The overall body of work even through 5 games is just… blah. Certainly not great and I don’t know understand why this is such a controversial take. I mean I have bigger worries than him in this series (Lindgren) but those are worries on players I expect to be bad.
I don't know what you mean by "take over a game" and you have to understand that every single thing you type is a complaint against panarin in some way.

There's no controversy in saying, like MH just posted, "i want to see him have a 3 point game."

but what people are responding to is not this isolated comment. It's the never ending stream of denigration, both veiled and brazen. you're indignant at the response you're getting, but i'm trying to explain why i think that is.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
You're both banned.

d840da71-b24d-4a0f-9788-83688dba2d75_text.gif

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Will be heading to the Garden after work. It's going to be a long day until then.

It's been 12 years since Brad Richards scored with 6.6 seconds left to tie and Staal to win the game in OT. I feel extremely old.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
everyone knows the Canes are a really good team. We're a really good team too. One of the two teams isn't going to make it out of this round and it'll suck to be them. Hopefully we're the ones to go on. Personally I think the Rangers were the better team the other night. That doesn't mean we will be tonight though I would take Sheshterkin's chances of stealing a game over Andersen's. Slavin's goal was like a bolt of lightning in that I haven't seen such a bizarre and weird deflection like that in a long time. That was damn lucky for them. We kind of got lucky on Panarin's goal which I think Andersen would like back but that one wasn't really bizarre. The Rangers pretty much shut down Carolina's game to the last 5 or 6 minutes when the Canes made by far their best and longest surge and they had a lot more power plays. We need to defend similarly tonight only maybe a little bit longer.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know what you mean by "take over a game" and you have to understand that every single thing you type is a complaint against panarin in some way.

There's no controversy in saying, like MH just posted, "i want to see him have a 3 point game."

but what people are responding to is not this isolated comment. It's the never ending stream of denigration, both veiled and brazen. you're indignant at the response you're getting, but i'm trying to explain why i think that is.

Be the best player on the ice in a dominant multi point performance?

Hell forget the production because sometimes that isn't going to be indicative of how a player performs but we've gotten a playoff performance like that what, once in a Ranger uniform?

Again, for a player who did this on the regular this year and has countless times during his RS NYR tenure, it's not a big ask. Theres concern on my end since this has basically been a trend for him in the playoffs and quite honestly, I'm not liking that our one productive line from the RS hasn't really been all that good in the playoffs and he's a big part of that (not entirely his fault, but he's the big dog on that line so...)

Just food for thought - Pasternak's playoffs so far haven't been too dissimilar from Panarin's and he got f***ing raked by his fanbase, the media and his own coach before game 7 of the Leafs series. Expectations for Panarin should be about the same.

A few soft goals at the right time doesn't really move the needle for me (though OTOH, he probably passes up shooting last year so yeah, step forward I guess.)

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Be the best player on the ice in a dominant multi point performance?

Hell forget the production because sometimes that isn't going to be indicative of how a player performs but we've gotten a playoff performance like that what, once in a Ranger uniform?

Again, for a player who did this on the regular this year and has countless times during his RS NYR tenure, it's not a big ask. Theres concern on my end since this has basically been a trend for him in the playoffs and quite honestly, I'm not liking that our one productive line from the RS hasn't really been all that good in the playoffs and he's a big part of that (not entirely his fault, but he's the big dog on that line so...)

Just food for thought - Pasternak's playoffs so far haven't been too dissimilar from Panarin's and he got f***ing raked by his fanbase, the media and his own coach before game 7 of the Leafs series. Expectations for Panarin should be about the same.

A few soft goals at the right time doesn't really move the needle for me (though OTOH, he probably passes up shooting last year so yeah, step forward I guess.)
So he needs a multi point dominant performance.....BUT the goals can't be soft. The goals being at the right time doesn't matter. I'm piecing this together but it sounds like if we lose 8-3 but Panarin rips 3 beauties in the last 5 minutes that's what we need from him. But if he only scores one but it wins the game and it goes off a skate, it's a disappointing day.

Gonna be honest. I want the Rangers to keep winning. I couldn't care less what Panarin's numbers are. Keep scoring game winning goals though (even ugly ones), and he can eat and drink free in NY for the rest of his life. I'm good with that.

its not that serious

Mar 7, 2024
Rangers have five wins in five games, Panarin has three goals, all three are game-winning goals. At the times they were scored, they didn't appear to be, but they ended up that way.

Even if Panarin isn't looking dominant, his contributions have been there. We'd all like to see him appear more dominant, which he obviously has the ability to do. But he's definitely been helping the team win. And I do think we should keep in mind, as was pointed out on the last broadcast and I personally agree, Panarin might not have taken the shot that beat Andersen in the past, he might have tried forcing a pass. The puck was on his stick, he has the opportunity, he took the shot like we all wanted, and it won the game in the end. Even if he's not flashy, he's been key.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

mti79

May 11, 2007
Will be heading to the Garden after work. It's going to be a long day until then.

It's been 12 years since Brad Richards scored with 6.6 seconds left to tie and Staal to win the game in OT. I feel extremely old.
I was at that game. Insane atmosphere that night, especially after the Richards goal (obviously)

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island

Jeez. I was there. so good. I have the video with Doc's call on my phone....loved Richie.

Reactions: NYR94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So he needs a multi point dominant performance.....BUT the goals can't be soft. The goals being at the right time doesn't matter. I'm piecing this together but it sounds like if we lose 8-3 but Panarin rips 3 beauties in the last 5 minutes that's what we need from him. But if he only scores one but it wins the game and it goes off a skate, it's a disappointing day.

Gonna be honest. I want the Rangers to keep winning. I couldn't care less what Panarin's numbers are. Keep scoring game winning goals though (even ugly ones), and he can eat and drink free in NY for the rest of his life. I'm good with that.

Well if they lose 8-3 and he rips then the heat goes elsewhere. Thats missing the point though, I'd like him to rip along with everyone else not shitting the bed.

I too want them to keep on winning. If we want to keep on winning he needs to be better. Thats really the jist of what I've been trying to say. I wouldn't even categorize his performance as disappointing, just mostly underwhelming with a sprinkling of some good.

What he's been doing is pretty much the opposite of what the 3rd line has been doing (generating chances with out any finish) but its why I don't worry about them - if the chance generation stays where it is, they'll start to go in. But that feeds into what I worry about with Panarin, we can't expect the other goalie to let in a stinker 2/3rds of the time he puts one in the net. The chance generation hasn't been there for him (and for the middle portion of that Washington series, it was completely on him.)

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
You want me to really ruin your day?

Hank's debut was closer to the 1980's than it is to today.
I was born closer to the START of WWI than I was to today...
Wait, that ruined MY day...

Well if they lose 8-3 and he rips then the heat goes elsewhere. Thats missing the point though, I'd like him to rip along with everyone else not shitting the bed.
Yeah, if we continue just like this I'd be perfectly happy. I don't care about assigning blame for losses. I'd much rather assign credit for wins, no matter how non dominating.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Team has won 60 games this year out of 87 and this is still the approach we take. We really are a troubled bunch lol
I base that sentiment (from myself anyway) on the reffing in games 1 & 2 vs The Caps

Yeah we won those games...

We did despite the lopsided officiating.

Just so we're clear, it's not about the NYR... it's about parody. The league wants game 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad