Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - THE BEAR throws the cat over the cliff.....again - BRUINS 5 Sunrise 1 - BRUINS lead series 1-0

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Didn’t he only give up 2 goals vs. Pitt in 2013?

I think I remember posting on here something like…

Congrats to the Pens on all both of their goals.
Just for shitngiggles, yes.
1000007323.jpg

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Gretzky would never have put up the numbers he did without that protection. This is why I have trouble with the idea that he was/is GOAT.
I know it's sacrilege to some, but I thought Messier was the MVP of the Oilers offense back in those days (especially in the playoffs), and he wasn't protected like Gretzky was

Messier led the Oilers to another Cup after Gretzky left for LA, and won another Cup with the Rangers

Gretzky never won another Cup after leaving Edmonton

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I know it's sacrilege to some, but I thought Messier was the MVP of the Oilers offense back in those days (especially in the playoffs), and he wasn't protected like Gretzky was

Messier led the Oilers to another Cup after Gretzky left for LA, and won another Cup with the Rangers

I agree 100%.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Regarding Messier, 99 and the oilers, I just can only disagree.
Messier had some great impact afterwards though at Edmonton and NY.

99 created what became NHL 2.0 in LA. He gave them a chance and became SC contender.... Roy was on his way though.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I was a huge Gretzky fan while he was with the Oilers, and Messier, too. In fact, they’re my two favorite non-bruins of all time. As much as I liked Gretzky, it was very obvious to me that he was treated differently - the “Jordan Rules” before Jordan came along.

Messier protected himself, and didn’t need anyone to watch his back. I always wished Mark Messier had been a Bruin.

I’m too young to remember Orr’s time with the Bruins.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

How do you figure that?

If you said the MVP of the Oilers, OK. But offense itself is Gretzky's domain. Especially for the Oilers.
Gretzky was a great player, but he was very protected by the refs and/or his goon squad

If Orr would've been protected like Gretzky was, he would've had a much longer career

Right, no goons on those Bruins teams.

When Orr got hit, all 4 teammates would jump the guy that hit him.

Reactions: rfournier103

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
I was a huge Gretzky fan while he was with the Oilers, and Messier, too. In fact, they’re my two favorite non-bruins of all time. As much as I liked Gretzky, it was very obvious to me that he was treated differently - the “Jordan Rules” before Jordan came along.

Messier protected himself, and didn’t need anyone to watch his back. I always wished Mark Messier had been a Bruin.

I’m too young to remember Orr’s time with the Bruins.
The Jordan Rules were actually the defensive strategy used by the Pistons to limit MJ's effectiveness.

Basically, how they gooned it up against him.

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
A question for those who will be watching on Sportsnet. I will be recording the game tomorrow for later viewing. I want to avoid the possibility of Sportsnet cutting away to the Canucks/Oilers game if the Bruins happen to go into overtime. So I’m wondering which Sportsnet channel to record. My guess is 360. Does anyone know any better?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
How do you figure that?

If you said the MVP of the Oilers, OK. But offense itself is Gretzky's domain. Especially for the Oilers.

Right, no goons on those Bruins teams.

When Orr got hit, all 4 teammates would jump the guy that hit him.
Actually you could say that Messier was the Oilers MVP on many occasions (especially in the playoffs), but I didn't want to overlook the great goaltending of Fuhr, Moog and Ranford

The Bruins had their share of tough guys (who could actually play hockey), but Semenko and McSorley were brought in mainly to protect Gretzky .....if the refs couldn't

Orr was a tough player in his own right, who played every facet of the game (including fights), and although his team mates were quick to help him out when needed, he was not protected by the refs

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Yes it is. This is the worst weather they’ve had in about 5 years but we are warned days in advance about how bad it could get
I guess there are pros and cons to everything! Do you like it out there?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
A question for those who will be watching on Sportsnet. I will be recording the game tomorrow for later viewing. I want to avoid the possibility of Sportsnet cutting away to the Canucks/Oilers game if the Bruins happen to go into overtime. So I’m wondering which Sportsnet channel to record. My guess is 360. Does anyone know any better?
You're probably right about SN360
Yes it is. This is the worst weather they’ve had in about 5 years but we are warned days in advance about how bad it could get
You moved to Tornado Alley??

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad