Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - THE BEAR throws the cat over the cliff.....again - BRUINS 5 Sunrise 1 - BRUINS lead series 1-0

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Was reading the Leafs board and I'm surprised at how many them are rooting for the Bruins. What did Florida do to them other than last year lol.

I feel like Leafs & Bruins fans were very united on the fact that Florida got away with murder on their run to the finals last year; so probably a real sour taste for each of our fanbases.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
We saw 1st hand last night why a Maroon type is needed. He made sure that the Panthers knew they'd pay for the stupid bullshit they were trying to pull.

It will get worse in game 2. Having a guy that will automatically push back when something stupid happens is essential in the playoffs IMO.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
We saw 1st hand last night why a Maroon type is needed. He made sure that the Panthers knew they'd pay for the stupid bullshit they were trying to pull.

It will get worse in game 2. Having a guy that will automatically push back when something stupid happens is essential in the playoffs IMO.
Yeah you can tell they got him for this series alone, he’s in his element.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Too much time off and not enough time off are just excuses.

If that's what you want to call it.

But muscle memory is a funny thing. Practice hitting a ball off a tee for a week and see how good you are at it by the end of the week. Now take a week off and then come back and try again. You won't be good at it (though you're unlikely to have reverted all the way to where you started).

Now we are obviously talking about a level of athlete far higher in the NHL. But there's a reason players get on the ice long before the season starts, even if they stay in good physical shape during their time off. You don't use it, you lose it.

The Panthers players collectively may have only lost a hair of that muscle memory not playing for a little while, but that miniscule hair is all it takes when you're playing in the best league in the world against the best teams.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The only thing that's a bad matchup for Florida is Swayman.

Once again, the Bruins were crushed on faceoffs. Someone stated here we finally got a fairly officiated game, so that means B's got help from the officials. As usual, Bruins struggled to clear the defensive zone. They also lost most of the board battles. What was different was that they sniped 4 goals. And they definitely played with more confidence.

On paper, certainly the Panthers goaltending should be a huge upgrade over the Leafs. As well as their defense. But like you said, who knows? And if the Bruins had played like they did in the last 3 games with Toronto, last night would have looked like, well, like many of us thought it would look (not good).

What is it about the Panther D that you like?

Because I'd take their D from last year every day of the week over their current group.

OEL may just be the most overrated hockey player of his generation. Kulikov isn't far behind. For two D-men with nearly 2000 combined games experience in the regular season, their lack of playoff experience is embarrassing. Both approaching their mid-30s with a lot of regular season miles on them. They are no better (and roughly the same age) as Shattenkirk who can't stay in the line-up whether it's fatigue/age or performance based. Do they even have a legit No.1 D-man?

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Original six team is a good enough reason!
FWIW I would pull for the Leafs over the Habs any day of the week lol. I conversed with a lot of Leafs fans last round, most of them were actually really chill and good hockey fans. I was expecting them to be more like Habs fans but they weren't. It was a nice surprise.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Don't know how this series will turn out, but one thing I am sure of is that the Bruins are much more physically equipped to deal with Florida's physicality. We have added some serious size with the likes of Brazeau, Beecher, JVR, Geekie and Lohrei.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If that's what you want to call it.

But muscle memory is a funny thing. Practice hitting a ball off a tee for a week and see how good you are at it by the end of the week. Now take a week off and then come back and try again. You won't be good at it (though you're unlikely to have reverted all the way to where you started).

Now we are obviously talking about a level of athlete far higher in the NHL. But there's a reason players get on the ice long before the season starts, even if they stay in good physical shape during their time off. You don't use it, you lose it.

The Panthers players collectively may have only lost a hair of that muscle memory not playing for a little while, but that miniscule hair is all it takes when you're playing in the best league in the world against the best teams.

So are you saying the team with a week off is always at a disadvantage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad