Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens win) (mod warning post 806)

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
f it here's a book.

I have a history of depression/suicidal thoughts. When you work through that stuff you learn to evaluate what is a positive in your life and what is a negative. I learned to shed the negative and am much happier now. Don't want sympathy just want people to understand where I'm coming from.

It is not fun to be a capitals fan.

I honestly can't even explain to anyone or myself why I watch the games.

First, hockey in general is not very much fun to watch. More than any other sport it relies on bounces to decide contests. I can deal with this when the team is either extremely hard working or creative. Only hard working and creative don't win you anything. In fact it gets you told over and over that your playing wrong.

There is no joy in being a fan of this team. Our "rivals" are a team with multiple cups, multiple generational hall of fame players and an incessant love from commentators who almost to a one have a past involvement with the franchise.

We are the biggest "chokers", "losers", "failures". Win a playoff game in overtime but you can't enjoy it because "you never should have been in ot against the team". Lose a playoff game in overtime " they outworked you, they have a playoff gear, they are warriors."

Dominate regular season, doesn't matter. Have a great competitive playoff series, doesn't matter. The choker label doesn't wash easy. Which for a player must be hard but as a fan is brutal. You don't get paid. You get pride for a win, you get heartbreak for a loss. When fans, media, anxiety, no longer allow for the pride what is the point?

It's the high you feel when they give you just a little hope. It's the expectation that eventually it will be okay and living through this part will make that part sweeter.
It's a toxic relationship. I gave those up.

So I think I'm done. If I'm honest I probably stopped actually enjoying the mechanics of hockey a long time ago. I'm not giving up on the team. I hope they win out and raise the cup. But even if they do i don't think it will actually mean anything to me. Maybe taking a step back will rekindle my love of the sport not the team.

This was a hard fought game we lost on a bad bounce. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have your best interest at heart. Good game, tough loss.

sorry for so much text no one cares about. Just needed to write it down.

I'll check for a reply cause I can't help myself, otherwise good luck to you all I hope the next few weeks are awesome for you because of or despite what happens with this team. But I'm done lurking on here everyday.

Thanks for putting this out there. Despite what Japer's and others tweeted tonight about calming down and other things being important, the whole investment in something bigger is part of our psyche as sports fans. I get it, but question how someone can just shrug it off.
Do what you gotta do for you and some of us will still be here torturing ourselves.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
f it here's a book.

I have a history of depression/suicidal thoughts. When you work through that stuff you learn to evaluate what is a positive in your life and what is a negative. I learned to shed the negative and am much happier now. Don't want sympathy just want people to understand where I'm coming from.

First, hockey in general is not very much fun to watch. More than any other sport it relies on bounces to decide contests. I can deal with this when the team is either extremely hard working or creative. Only hard working and creative don't win you anything. In fact it gets you told over and over that your playing wrong.

There is no joy in being a fan of this team. Our "rivals" are a team with multiple cups, multiple generational hall of fame players and an incessant love from commentators who almost to a one have a past involvement with the franchise.

We are the biggest "chokers", "losers", "failures". Win a playoff game in overtime but you can't enjoy it because "you never should have been in ot against the team". Lose a playoff game in overtime " they outworked you, they have a playoff gear, they are warriors."

Dominate regular season, doesn't matter. Have a great competitive playoff series, doesn't matter. The choker label doesn't wash easy. Which for a player must be hard but as a fan is brutal. You don't get paid. You get pride for a win, you get heartbreak for a loss. When fans, media, anxiety, no longer allow for the pride what is the point?

It's the high you feel when they give you just a little hope. It's the expectation that eventually it will be okay and living through this part will make that part sweeter.

So I think I'm done. If I'm honest I probably stopped actually enjoying the mechanics of hockey a long time ago. I'm not giving up on the team. I hope they win out and raise the cup. But even if they do i don't think it will actually mean anything to me. Maybe taking a step back will rekindle my love of the sport not the team.

This was a hard fought game we lost on a bad bounce. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have your best interest at heart. Good game, tough loss.

I'll check for a reply cause I can't help myself, otherwise good luck to you all I hope the next few weeks are awesome for you because of or despite what happens with this team. But I'm done lurking on here everyday.

I feel your pain. Hurts more some years than others, but a fan only has so much soul to pour into it.

I know so many people who get no joy from watching anymore. That might be the saddest testament of all to the Ovechkin-era Caps. They could have created generations of fans, but have gone the opposite direction to date.

It was more enjoyable as a fan being the plucky hardworking franchise that could never get a superstar player.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
f it here's a book.

I wish you nothing but the best as you deal with your challenges in life. Thanks for posting this.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Granted, i've started tuning out for big chunks of these games. But has Williams really been all that good?

At his age, and with us doing nothing in the playoffs even with the supposed playoff magic he brings, I definitely would not re-sign him.
I'd be more inclined to keep him than Oshie given the realistic market and demands for both. Oshie has had much of the same workmanlike effort, which is mostly what I'm referring to with Williams, but he's not a viable skater for the top line long-term. It's not a wise investment barring something very favorable to the Caps and even then the top line's play in the playoffs has to be very concerning. They're probably not going to get any better, at least with this staff.

Wilson has heart, so does Niskanen. So does Carlson in his well-intentioned way. Kuznetsov and Orlov have been engaged but they need more skill to go along with engagement. Only 9/92/90/88 involved and playing at pace is nowhere near enough in today's game. They absolutely need to get younger and faster and shift toward more of a puck control game. But they don't have the system for it as-is so a rebuild is essential. They must take a step back and be prepared to focus on the right things.
I'd suggest checking out a team like Edmonton. McDavid has that passion for the game that will put you on the edge of your seat. Too few Capitals do these days and that's tough to overcome to be successful. It makes the games, particularly come playoff time, much less enjoyable. You're patterned to root for them and yet there's just something missing. There has been for a while. That's when a core runs its course and it's time to build differently.

Those prime Ovechkin years were great entertainment. Too bad they never have been ahead of the curve in building otherwise in terms of peak production, depth and balance.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
f it here's a book.

I feel sorry for you. As you say, it is just a game. If you don't enjoy Capitals games, then you might as well stop watching.

I love the Caps, there are many things endearing about this team. The hockey they play is aesthetically pleasing (at least in the regular season), and despite having no success, a lot of people hate the Caps for being losers in the playoffs.

In a way, the Caps and their players reflect my life. Great potential but constantly criticised and therefore trying to prove the critics wrong. The only difference between me and the Caps is that I manage to prove my critics wrong and the Caps don't. I'd like the Capitals to enjoy that same poetic justice.

Also, the city of Washington DC is one of the most beautiful in North America, and its inhabitants are super nice. I guess I could've been a fan of another team, but my favourite players were all playing for the Caps. I loved the Young Guns, and look what happened to them. Ovechkin aged dramatically and is no longer an elite player after 4 consecutive 50 goal seasons. Semin's hockey career is done, he doesn't even cut in the KHL anymore. Green is a liability at the NHL level. Only Backstrom is still among the league's best overall.

There is a 2% chance that we make a comeback, but I'm expecting the Pens to put us away in game 5 or 6. Regardless, I look forward to the end of the Ovechkin era, which could be as soon as Saturday. If Leonsis and GMBM are dead serious about bringing a Stanley Cup to DC, they ditch the Ovechkin era core as soon as possible. Keep a few positive elements (Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov) and flush away the rest, including Ovechkin himself.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
f it here's a book.

all good man :) we love you here so come back when you can

trust me I know all about how you feel

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I have zero devotion to Trotz. Said it before he and every coach should be fired if they flame out. I just don't blame everything on a new coach every 4 years when the core is the same as the results.

It's not just Trotz this will impact.

This "same core" business is way overstated. I assume you mean OV and Backstrom. Because who else is left from the original failures? Johansson came later and isn't really a core piece but rather a complimentary player. Completely new defense, Semin gone, different goaltenders. We've had new veterans like Williams and Oshie who are key cogs. These last 2 years have been the best Caps teams top to bottom ever. Trotz has done a very poor job preparing them for postseason play. One of the worst puck moving teams I've seen these playoffs. Ad lib hockey may work in the regular season when teams don't prepare for you, but not so much in the playoffs.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
f it here's a book.

Pens fan here. Thanks for sharing. While I haven't gone through what you have, a number of those close to me have.

It sounds like you are and have been working through things and realize what you need to do. Keep with it and do what you need to do to keep yourself on the right track.

The game will always be here for you if/when you decide to return to it. Best of luck.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I feel your pain. Hurts more some years than others, but a fan only has so much soul to pour into it.

I know so many people who get no joy from watching anymore. That might be the saddest testament of all to the Ovechkin-era Caps. They could have created generations of fans, but have gone the opposite direction to date.

It was more enjoyable as a fan being the plucky hardworking franchise that could never get a superstar player.

This.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This "same core" business is way overstated. I assume you mean OV and Backstrom. Because who else is left from the original failures? Johansson came later and isn't really a core piece but rather a complimentary player. Completely new defense, Semin gone, different goaltenders. We've had new veterans like Williams and Oshie who are key cogs. These last 2 years have been the best Caps teams top to bottom ever. Trotz has done a very poor job preparing them for postseason play. One of the worst puck moving teams I've seen these playoffs. Ad lib hockey may work in the regular season when teams don't prepare for you, but not so much in the playoffs.

8, 19, 70 is a nice start. 74?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Only bright side is if they could unload say 19 - 8 - and whoever, they've got some young pieces to hasten a rebuild. It'd really come down to what coach they get. They don't need a defensive team, they've always been a ferrari trying to plow the field and they really need to realize what they are.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
Don't be silly, man.

If you are fancied by hockey game, you should look at Leafs fans, they sucked more than a decade. Hockey is not all your life, move on.:)
f it here's a book.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Total shocker who May singles out for the rest of the team to play like.

Here is a hint, if the team did emulate said player the entire team would be on their ass half the time and the other half taking penalties.

I was sure he was gonna say Williams.

But I get what he means. Wilson is playing hard and trying to leave a mark, at least. Aggressive dumb is better than meek dumb.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
f it here's a book.

Some thoughts out loud...

I'd like to say that there's always hope. Miracles and improbable runs do happen in sports, so as long as the team has decent talent, there's always a chance, even if they are terribly flawed.

The tough thing is, IMO, when one has to lower expectations. When I used to think of the Caps as a possible dynasty (long time ago, in a galaxy far away), from that perspective losses were truly heartbreaking, because you see a dream slipping away.

But at this point, I've accepted that as something impossible for the current core. Now I just watch the players I like in the regular season, it's fun to see how some young players develop, etc. And then, in playoffs, hopefully they can put it together for a run.

Losing to rivals can be very painful, the only thing I can say about it is that it only takes a couple of series wins to basically erase the history. And at some point, it will happen. And it'll be awesome -- maybe not as awesome as it could've been, but still awesome.

Also, we're all suffering together here. It's better than alone!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
His 25-42-3 record as a head coach in the CHL really makes him seem like a great candidate :sarcasm:

Yeah, I think he might be more suited to being an assistant coach, to light a fire under some rear ends. Not sure if there's a job description for that, lol. Is there a limit on number of coaches on a team? :)

But... I'd enjoy it if they gave him a go -- as long as they pull the plug in time if it goes out of control :)

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
His 25-42-3 record as a head coach in the CHL really makes him seem like a great candidate :sarcasm:

Did he have an actually good team there? You can't just use record out of context, give a guy a bunch of spare parts and he is sure to not do great. His analysis is generally spot on and he isn't afraid to say what is on everyone's mind or call out underperformers.

I honestly believe you are a liar if you can truthfully say you've never entertained the notion of May being on the Caps' coaching staff. Maybe not as HC, but someone in the lockeroom to shake things up

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Honestly, I just cannot believe how pathetic this team is. No heart & soul whatsoever. Especially Ovi. I really think, Ted should trade him after this season while he still has decent value. I don't know what happened to him. When you know your legacy on the line and this is one of the most important games of your life... and you play like today. I just cannot explain it. Seriously what happened with the guy that once was described by everybody, including Canadian media as "every game is the last game for this kid"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad