GDT: ECSF #1|Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals|Hello old friend! It's us again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
What does that even mean?

If you flip a coin, and it lands on heads the first two times, it isn't any less likely to land on heads the third time. If anything, maybe the coin has a ridge that causes it to be bias toward heads.

The first two series have no impact on the Capitals winning other than maybe they are tired of losing to us. Also, maybe, they'll be clutching their sticks too tight because they haven't won yet.

By all accounts, the Caps have failed to live up to their talent in the playoffs and against the Pens. This year they're in under the radar; almost no real expectations. Things seem aligned for them here. With Malkin and Hagelin out, I believe it even more so. Pens aren't escaping this one. Sorry.

Reactions: farscape1

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
By all accounts, the Caps have failed to live up to their talent in the playoffs and against the Pens. This year they're in under the radar; almost no real expectations.

I just can't see it that way. Forget the fans, the media, the rest of the hockey world ... the Caps, I'm quite sure have very real expectations, and a less than stellar history weighing on them heavily. They want to beat the Pens so bad they can taste it.

Things seem aligned for them here. With Malkin and Hagelin out, I believe it even more so.

Agree that the path for the Pens could be better lit.

Pens aren't escaping this one. Sorry.

No need to apologize. It won't be your fault if the Pens fall.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I just can't see it that way. Forget the fans, the media, the rest of the hockey world ... the Caps, I'm quite sure have very real expectations, and a less than stellar history weighing on them heavily. They want to beat the Pens so bad they can taste it.

Agree that the path for the Pens could be better lit.

No need to apologize. It won't be your fault if the Pens fall.

I'd love to be wrong about it obviously, I just don't see it unless the Caps inexplicably completely crumble.

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
I'd love to be wrong about it obviously, I just don't see it unless the Caps inexplicably completely crumble.

I dunno. I'm not sure it'll take a complete Cap meltdown. Seems that the lineups we'll see tonight are about as evenly matched as we could see. A clanged post here, a bad turnover there ... I'm expecting a very close final score.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW

Isn't this exactly what these Caps do year after year after year, though? They are so famous for it that Inexplicably Completely Crumble is the name of a dessert served at their concession stands.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah I understand that. I think the lack of expectations is a big difference between this year and past years.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
If it happens, it happens.

If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I know that's just a juvenile tautology (or close enough), but seriously, why get caught up in 'I-Told-You-So's and what you can hold over some other poster's head and browbeat them with when it's all over?

None of it does anything to help or change what this team's ultimate fate is going to be.

Reactions: Selfish Man

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
If it happens, it happens.

If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I know that's just a juvenile tautology, but seriously, why get caught up in 'I-Told-You-So's and what you can hold over some other poster's head and browbeat them with when it's all over?

None of it does anything to help or change what this team's ultimate fate is going to be.

Many fans (of all teams in every sport) root for being right more than they do for their team's success.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah I understand that. I think the lack of expectations is a big difference between this year and past years.

So the Caps and their fans were surprised last year when they went down two games to none and eventually lost in the second round to the Pens right?

According to that logic they were shocked the year before as well, because their expectations were not to blow it yet again.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
can someone post the kuznetsov bird drawing
ktqYncX.jpg

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
So the Caps and their fans were surprised last year when they went down two games to none and eventually lost in the second round to the Pens right?

According to that logic they were shocked the year before as well, because their expectations were not to blow it yet again.

Their fans were obviously disappointed when they lost. I'm not sure you understand what having expectations for the playoffs means if you're trying to make this point. Either that or you're just flailing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What I'm looking for the most from this game:

-Murray's performance. Is he 3rd period Murray from Game 6 versus the Flyers or 1st and 2nd period Murray?

-Brass/Kessel lines. Crosby/Guentzel scoring 2 points per game is nice, but to go deep we're going to need someone else scoring to offset Malkin/Hagelin being out. Can the Brass/Kessel lines be that consistent secondary scoring threat?

-Sense of urgency. It was there for Games 1 to 4 (mostly) of the Flyers series and returned again in the third period of Game 6. But Game 5 and a lot of Game 6 they seemed to be expecting to win just by showing up rather than playing at a level to win.

-Defensemen have to be better. We're never going to be the 1970s Canadiens, but we're also much more capable of looking like a solid defense when the big minute guys get their heads out of their ass.

Those are the four main things I'm going to be looking at tonight. Win or lose, if those four things look good, it bodes well for the rest of the series.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I don’t have high expectations with our injuries, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With Geno and Hags out I like the looks of each of our top 3 lines but uh...that 4th line is quite the turd sandwich.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Many fans (of all teams in every sport) root for being right more than they do for their team's success.

Are you implying that Pens fans predicting a loss want the Pens to lose?

I'm not sure what else you're implying here, but I think it's totally off-base.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
With Geno and Hags out I like the looks of each of our top 3 lines but uh...that 4th line is quite the turd sandwich.

With the extra day off and geno maybe coming back on Sunday, Sully will go old school and basically roll 3 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce