GDT: ECQF | GM3 | Boston Bruins @ Toronto Maple Leafs | ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
unless there was no way to schedule those games differently, he has a point. Within the current structure of higher seed getting rewarded with home ice, you shouldn't be spending an inordinate amount of time in the away team's city or on the road

that said, not only do I think home ice vs away is overrated aside from last change, road games tend to help teams bond and stay focused, clear out the noise. The Bruins specifically being on the road I think will help more than hurt them so Monty should probably just focus on the positive, he should only make gamesmanship comments that can actually have an effect, they're not going to reschedule the games now :laugh:

Meh Leafs only had 2 days off before the series began AND played a B2B against the Panthers and Lightning which resulted in some injuries. Only team in the league to end the year like that. Bruins had scheduling advantages there.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
just-win-want-to-win.gif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This guy in Boston doing much better recently?

Recently?

Well, since you asked, I'll compare their last two seasons (since that's when Monty started in Boston anyway).

Jim Montgomery:

Regular season record of 112-52 (.683)
Playoff record of 4-5

Sheldon Keefe:

Regular season record of 96-68 (.571)
Playoff record of 6-7

Think that pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above Keefe, all things considered, but I wouldn't say his job's on the line either, at least not in the same way Keefe's might be. But who knows, with the way Shanahan's been running the show. Maybe he's already agreed to a contract extension.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I mean, I'm originally from Arizona, born and raised... I wish Matthews and Knies well as a result...

I think everyone should have the uniquely frustrating experience of pulling for the Leafs, at least once, sort of like how everyone should take a stab at working in customer service. It's a potent cocktail of hope and crushing disappointment!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The mighty, mighty Leafs, they skate down the ice,
In their sacred quest to hoist Lord Stanley's cup;
Powered by forwards Matthews and Knies,
Nothing will get them down, the only way is up.

The crowd in the arena cheers, it's a roll of the dice,
He shoots! He scores! The crowd, it roars!
They repeat this not once, not twice, but thrice!
It's a roster assembled, the stoutest of cores!

It's not battles to be won, these games they are wars,
Led by captain Tavares, and Samsonov the wall,
The fans are loud and rabid, their yells blow off the doors,
Come one and all to the arena, they truly have it all!

The team celebrates, but remember it's done in stages,
But remember this game, as it's one for the ages.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Recently?

Well, since you asked, I'll compare their last two seasons (since that's when Monty started in Boston anyway).

Jim Montgomery:

Regular season record of 112-52 (.683)
Playoff record of 4-5

Sheldon Keefe:

Regular season record of 96-68 (.571)
Playoff record of 6-7

Think that pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't say he's head and shoulders above Keefe, all things considered, but I wouldn't say his job's on the line either, at least not in the same way Keefe's might be. But who knows, with the way Shanahan's been running the show. Maybe he's already agreed to a contract extension.

He is Keefe, great in the regular season and gets dominated in the playoffs

The poster I was responding to (I don’t know if it was you I rarely read names or recognize them) was acting like there was a difference

There is no difference. Boston has shut the bed in the playoffs under this guy and Keefe is going to bury him again this year

Now, I think Keefe should be fired, but if you’re talking about both these coaches in the playoffs, neither has proven much.

Keefe has proven more than Montgomery has though

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
After watching the canes and midget Irbe rob the leafs in early 2000s and the collapse to bruins in game 7 my life been pretty mediocre for about two decades. Maybe it's time they did something in the playoffs.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He is Keefe, great in the regular season and gets dominated in the playoffs

The poster I was responding to (I don’t know if it was you I rarely read names or recognize them) was acting like there was a difference

There is no difference. Boston has shut the bed in the playoffs under this guy and Keefe is going to bury him again this year

Now, I think Keefe should be fired, but if you’re talking about both these coaches in the playoffs, neither has proven much.

Keefe has proven more than Montgomery has though

Oh I know, neither playoff record is particularly impressive and Montgomery at least has a marginal edge in the regular season (but what good is that).

If Boston loses this series though, I would agree with the earlier poster who indicated that Monty's job wouldn't be in jeopardy. Feel like he's got more runway to work with, but I could be wrong. That switch to Ullmark last game certainly didn't do him any favours.

Keefe, on the other hand, might be out the door if the Leafs can't get it done in this series. He's been around longer but I think this could be it for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad