Pre-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 7 5/4 8:14 PM - Good News as Game 7 is at TD Garden, Bad News Game 7 is at TD Garden - ABC, ESPN+, CBC, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I need to see a very short leash tomorrow. If halfway thru the first they have 3 shots again it's time to load up one line and just ride that line into the ground. Marchand, Pastrnak and whatever center you think is up to the challenge. I'm done waiting around for offense. Double shift whoever is ready to skate and cause problems. Generate zone time and hope McAvoy and Lindholm can get pucks to the net. Make Woll earn every save.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I need to see a very short leash tomorrow. If halfway thru the first they have 3 shots again it's time to load up one line and just ride that line into the ground. Marchand, Pastrnak and whatever center you think is up to the challenge. I'm done waiting around for offense. Double shift whoever is ready to skate and cause problems. Generate zone time and hope McAvoy and Lindholm can get pucks to the net. Make Woll earn every save.

Three shots in the 1st 10 minutes, I'll take it after these last 2 games !!!

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I load up right from the start. Push hard for the lead and first goal. When you get it, then split up to normal. It’s game 7. No time to be passive.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I agree. Throwing in Ullmark now is almost like how they threw in Sway last year. And Besides Sway has been playing well.
But, Ullmark was a puddle by the time that they put in Swayman. Ullmark
should've been more honest, Monty should've been smarter and used common sense.
There's no reason whatsoever to take Swayman out now. Win or lose, he's the goalie of the future.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The Bruins can’t lose that game tomorrow night. No way. Is this how the 100th anniversary season is going to go down?

There have been three eras of my Bruins fandom:

1. Childhood - 1987: Can’t beat Montreal.

2. 1988 - c. 2006: Just one or two players away…

3. 2007 - present: Can’t win Game 7.

Yes, there have been some huge Game 7 wins, including three in 2011, but those are the exceptions.

I’m tired of all the talk of toughness and hard work and leadership when it comes to the Bruins. Ever since the Kraut Line departed for military service during World War II (and derailed a would-be Bruins dynasty), leadership on and off the ice has been lacking. There have been fleeting moments of glory, but that’s all they were: fleeting.

When the Bruins won in 2011, I thought that team would win 3 or 4 cups no problem. Maybe more. But it was the Blackhawks and not the Bruins who seized that mantle. 2011 was the exception. The aberration.

Yes, this is a bridge year. A rebuilding year. A retooling year. I understand that.

BUT…

The 2024 Boston Bruins should have won this series days ago. Do they not care? Was this SCRIPTED to go seven games??? Is that why they haven’t beaten the Maple Leafs sans their best player? If that’s the case, I’ll just throw all my thousands of dollars worth of Bruins stuff in the trash where it would belong.

No sports fan “deserves” a win. That’s not how it works. But we fans who invest our money and even more precious time in our favorite teams deserve effort.

We haven’t been getting it.

I’m sick of the Bruins “culture” and the myth of what that is. Time to change the reality of that culture.
Almost had me tearing up. Very well said.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think we win. If we don’t, I’m not going to be crushed. That already happened in G5 and G6. Few times in 50+ of die hard Bruins fandom have I been as angry as during and after those two games. Losing G7 can’t make me angrier.

That said, if we don’t have a normal amount of shots in Period 1, I will be sorely disappointed.
Same for if we don’t play whole game like it’s G7 of the Finals.

I thought this year was going to be rough. Didn’t expect the season we have had, and I’m grateful for same. However, it’s beyond disappointing to be where we are at this stage in the PO’s.

I don’t think either team can beat Florida, but you never know until you get there. If we give up that chance by losing 3 straight to an average team like the Leafs that will suck. Badly.

Go B’s. I’ll do my part but that doesn’t count for anything. You need to deliver the goods. This Leafs team is not good, but sadly in last two games they’ve been much better than us. Not something this crew wants to live with. In my book it’ll be a worse fold than last year and that’s saying something.

Can’t undo the shitshow of last two games. So now you just have to do it. Just do it.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

“Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere”​

Lou Lou Lou, love having you back here!

Leafs were blocking shots and playing team defense. Bruins were shooting it right into them. I don’t think it was about missing wide.
Honestly, I think they missed more than they hit especially in the first 2 periods. Anyway, what's it really matter?

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Thoughts on them please?
I like Wes McCauley. If liking a ref is even possible

NHLers Name Best, Worst Refs in Athletic Poll

“No surprise here to see McCauley and Sutherland in the top two spots by quite a margin. They’re terrific communicators and pretty well known by both players and fans. Sometimes, being recognized is more impactful in these polls than just doing your job.”

“He’ll talk to you if you get a penalty,” one player said of McCauley, The Athletic reported. “He’ll tell you what you did wrong. He’s not one of those selfish guys who will try to take over a game. He’s one of the honest guys.”

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
So how does everyone feel about these refs? Just asking because Leaf fans had their undies in a pretzel thinking McCauley was going to get the call.

Kelly Sutherland was one of the refs in Boston's Game 4 win.

Bruins with Sutherland as a ref this season
  • 3-1-2
  • 2.25 Goals For per game
  • 2.00 Goals Allowed per game

Maple Leafs with Sutherland
  • 3-4-0
  • 3.00 Goals For per game
  • 3.00 Goals Allowed per game

The Bruins beat the Maple Leafs with Furlatt on March 4.

Bruins with Furlatt
  • 3-2-1
  • 3.83 Goals For per game
  • 3.17 Goals Allowed per game

Maple Leafs with Furlatt
  • 1-3-0
  • 2.50 Goals For per game
  • 4.25 Goals Allowed per game

Combined totals with either ref

Bruins
  • 6-3-3
  • 3.20 Goals For per game
  • 2.70 Goals Allowed per game

Maple Leafs
  • 4-7-0
  • 2.82 Goals For per game
  • 3.45 Goals Allowed per game

* All of the above stated knowing that if the Bruins come out with the same compete-level as their last 2 games, the refs aren't going to matter.

** I'm just glad not to see Chris Lee and/or Steve Kozari. That pair reffed both Game 7 losses to the Panthers and Hurricanes.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Everyone knew what this needed after last year’s collapse, a center and some toughness.
I have read some write Montgomery is good with the young guys. Sorry not seeing it, Beecher in and out Lauko is a black hole for offense. Do you give him credit for Lohrie and where he is in his development?
During the season should have tried Fredric at center for a bunch of games.
For sure

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Hahaha never thought I would ever cheer for you guys, use to hate you so bad during the 2000-10 when I was a teenager, guess I mature enough to recognize that you have a great culture and great players. We can hate each other but still have respect for each other. I work on the french broadcast over here in Montreal and will work on the game 7, can't wait to work saturday. By the way, we had so many angles on there was a crosscheck penalty before the Nylander goal, that's outrageous
Thank you, very classy. Me and the family enjoy Montreal and Quebec city. Took the tour with my wife in '95 of the old Forum and sat in the dressing room. Sat in the same dressing room at the HHOF last summer.
Toronto is insufferable. I hated the Habs in the 70s but nothing like the Leafs now. Maybe it's the internet and all of the classlessness flying around but it's par for the course.
The hate for Jack Edwards, even in his final minutes and after the game, the insults etc were disgusting. But anyway, I digress.

Reactions: Maitz

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
He used to blow people up regularly before injuring his shoulder but seldom does now. Perhaps between the 2 issues he subconsciously backs off now. IMO you're definitely right, he's not who we thought he was/going to be.
Plus the suspension this year I think makes him think twice. IMO it's a fine line from what's considered a clean hit to a bad hit and the NHL is pretty much unpredictable in judging. They look at the uniforms first (again IMO).

Reactions: BMC

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bruins will have a better line up next year than what they were some what stuck with this year.
Ide replace Monty too. Before any one goes posting g hie it's nor his fault. I'm not saying it is .
But nobody can tell me there isn't better coach to be had out there. When there is an opportunity to improve at a position you have to do it. That includes the coaching position.

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
I had long post typed out about lack of controlled entries, puck possession etc ... and then I went back and deleted it.

I think we have reached a point in this series where we have moved past metrics. It has now come down to the ultimate showdown of one game. It is about grit and determination. Who wants to win and who wants to quit. Who can push through the pain and who cannot.
60 minutes of a hockey game to prove your skill and character. A game that will determine who moves on in glory, and at the same time, be the deciding fate of coaches. Tonight I think there are several households where the tension will cut through butter like a knife.

Having moved here to New England as a young man many years ago, I have adopted the Bruins as my team and while I have always preferred to look at hockey games more objectively as a game, I have found myself become somewhat emotionally attached to this series.

I hope that tomorrow, when they pull on their jerseys, they are ready to battle for the win. It is going to be long, tough and draining game. It's going to be uncomfortable and it's going to hurt but everything hinges on this one game.
While it is important to understand that these are well compensated athletes who do this for a living, they also understand that they represent the city and us when they take to the ice in the spoked B. Tomorrow will tell us exactly who wears that Bruins sweater with pride.
Tomorrow we will find out for certain who this Bruins team is.
I have not been this excited for a game in so long. Go Bruins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad