Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 5 - BACK TO TORONTO - Leafs 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT - Boston leads series 3-2

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I could live with that…..my only worry is if the game is out of hand and Reaves starts some nonsense, I’d like Maroon in there to deal with it.

I don’t want Frederic being put in a tough spot.

(And I know it’s an unlikely scenario….but you never know)
reeves is done. did he even play last night?
if the leafs want to win reeves wont play more than 5 minutes

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Do you pay Stamkos $9m a year, knowing you'll likely have to overcommit on term?

Who do you move out? Zacha? Coyle? Both?

You assume Poitras figures into the top-6 moving forward.

They need an injection of talent in the top-6, whether it's at center, wing, or both.
I'm not married to this group of forwards, and I'd look at ways to bring in some dynamic pieces.

Stamkos would be interesting but I’d have to know the term.

As far as Zacha, Coyle and poitras. I’d probably move Zacha to the wing until Coyles contract is up then move Zacha back

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Toronto was just a team who wanted it more last night. They came out flying. Entered the zone with speed, were first and sometimes second on loose pucks and never really allowed any clean plays from the Bruins through the neutral zone and into their defending zone. Their D were pinching and playing aggressive from the start, and the Bruins couldn't get out of the zone so they started trying to fly guys early. Dump and chase also didn't work because the Bruins were beat to just about every puck. They're lucky they got one and didn't allow Woll to shut them out and enter game 6 with even more confidence than he already has.

The Beecher scratch was curious to me. I guess maybe they felt they had room to play around and put Brazeau in?

Swayman at least looked good. There has been a lot of back and forth on who should start this series, but I think you go Swayman for the rest of this series and let Ullmark take first start next round if they get that far.

I guess the only positive is that I'm hoping the Bruins couldn't play any worse and it still went to OT. Maybe they started to believe their own hype and though the Leafs would just roll over. By the time they woke up and figured it wasn't going to be easy, they already let the Leafs establish themselves.

Next game, Beecher draws back in. Gryz sits if Carlo can go. Expect a Leafs team to play like they did last night. They're desperate and have a lot of talent. They might also get Matthews back.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I could live with that…..my only worry is if the game is out of hand and Reaves starts some nonsense, I’d like Maroon in there to deal with it.

I don’t want Frederic being put in a tough spot.

(And I know it’s an unlikely scenario….but you never know)

Reaves was on the ice final minute of the early games and caused no trouble. He seems to be more of an honor/code type than what Florida offers for example.

Willing fighter if a brawl occurs but otherwise knows his main value is forechecking and intimidating Gryz. If only Maroon could skate even half as well as Reaves at this point to finish a hit.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
reeves is done. did he even play last night?
if the leafs want to win reeves wont play more than 5 minutes

I agree….but if it’s 5 minutes in garbage time, I’d just feel a bit better if Maroon is there to deal with him.

Reactions: Gordoff

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Really wish Monty called a timeout in the 1st and RIPPED into the team for that horrible lack luster effort in the 1st.

I am gobsmacked that this team has not learned this lesson yet. I am hoping what I think may happen does not.....

We need to find our killer instinct ................ AND FAST!

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Maybe they started to believe their own hype and thought the Leafs would just roll over. By the time they woke up and figured it wasn't going to be easy, they already let the Leafs establish themselves.
This. There has to be some of this. Add the moves by Monty that were not needed and you have it, they weren’t cocky last night but they know the Leafs argued on the bench, were down on their goalie and they were at home. Being ready to play and EXECUTING are two different things. Every team is ready in the dressing room to go out and play. Even Columbus and Buffalo are always ready. But the execution is what is missing and we saw that. Once you see the Bruins having trouble passing and getting out of their own zone, or dumping it into the Leafs zone and not retrieving the puck, you know that they are cooked for the night. Awful. Game 6 can’t be any worse can it????? (……I ask as I convulse in a corner with the lights off and a lampshade on my head…..)

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Berube would be an interesting choice. Cooper has the resume but he can't bring his team with him.
They would want half the team gone to start with. Front office wouldn’t do that, so the likes of either we won’t see. We will get another Florek/Monty coach that plays nice with everyone and doesn’t rock the boat……..and then we will we up 3-1 with home ice and blow it…….in 2025 or 2026

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I still cannot believe last night.

I’ll be ok. Just need to got for a nine hour walk in the woods……..with a 6 pack……

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Really wish Monty called a timeout in the 1st and RIPPED into the team for that horrible lack luster effort in the 1st.

Good point. I remember Claude talking about this once when asked the same question and he said there are times you just need to let the team play their way out of it vs call a timeout, which I agree. But last night wasn’t one of those times. Call a timeout in the first and wake them up. 2 shots? You could see they were asleep if you have eyes. At the 5-6 minute mark you change things up and rip them then put your best guys out there. Would have been different but alas……nope.

Cooper also said "skirts" in a post game interview, so he's probably never allowed to coach again.
Yep. I am looking for him to get a fine for that, even though he was 100% correct

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think people are just frustrated. We once again needlessly changed a working lineup, put back in players that have been bad and on top of all that the majority of the players were out of sync and didn't even look like they wanted to play.

They won game 1 5-1 w/ Gryz.
Sure they took him out after losing game 2 and he didn't play games 3 and 4 which they won.

But Shattenkirk also played in that game 2 loss.

Gryz is is even on the series, Shattenkirk is a -3. Is your big complaint that they took Shattenkirk out for game 5?

To me the bigger issue is that your top 2 Cs have scored zero goals combined and are a combined -3. Hyperfocusing and blaming a loss on the 10 minutes Beecher or Brazeau would play is missing the bigger problem.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m so pissed at the loss I have Lou texting me and being positive and cheering me up

Almost worth the loss
Yea I probably would. A year ago I would have said it more confidently. Rough year for him this year but I’d probably say yes overall.
same

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The cliche stuff about Toronto wanting it more is hilarious. They looked like they were waiting for the other shoe to drop all game and for Boston to just take over.

I feel very confident saying if you inserted almost any other team from the playoffs against Toronto tonight, the leafs would have lost by 3-4 goals.

Indeed. Toronto was DREADFUL as well. It was a preseason game where the Bruins played even worse.

Reactions: Gordoff and BTO

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I feel if the Bruins won half the draws, they'd also probably win that game. Going 4-21 after the first is actually quite an accomplishment. Hard to win games when you're losing possession 80% of the time.
You could flip your stick over and pool cue a draw down the ice and win 4 races out of 25 attempts.

At some point I think you just tell the linesman to throw the puck to the opposition. Would speed the game up some

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad