Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 5 - BACK TO TORONTO - Leafs 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT - Boston leads series 3-2

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
You'd think that Monty learned his lesson from last year when he inserted (out of game shape) Bergy and Krejci into game 5 after the B's just won two straight games in Florida

..it's not a good idea to screw with what's working, so keep the same damn players in the lineup as long as they're winning

In other words..."if it ain't broke"......."don't fix it"
Very true , the lineup changes didn’t help but if the whole team is going to play as bad as they did in the first two periods did it make a huge difference? The Leafs came to play , Bruins should have been ready but they weren’t. I think they can win in Toronto, Leafs will be feeling the pressure.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Isn't it amazing what 23 grown men playing a game with a small rubber puck can do to your thinking? It blows my mind. To think I have to come back to this in two days and then maybe another time.
I spent the last 48 hours stressing about tonight’s game. I’ve accepted a game 7 at this point, and with the way things just played out, and will play out Thursday night, I’m not even worried about Saturday because I don’t expect much.

In other words, I’m over it. I’ll try to get up for it when they do. It won’t be the other way around again.

Reactions: Gordoff

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Do they build then differently elsewhere?

Usually teams hold their management and players accountable for continued playoff failure.

Not here though. Coach might get 5 or 6 years and then they're out but other than no big deal, forever jobs for everyone else.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
At what point is Pastrnak’s awful playoff hockey going to become a topic? Throw out stats. The constant turnovers, falling down, games without being a threat….just terrible. Can’t take on 11m salary for fun regular seasons.
He doesn’t take over playoff games. He might play very well, but he’s not carrying anybody else along with him. Would love to see him turn that corner but he looks content coasting to the finish line right now

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I spent the last 48 hours stressing about tonight’s game. I’ve accepted a game 7 at this point, and with the way things just played out, and will play out Thursday night, I’m not even worried about Saturday because I don’t expect much.

In other words, I’m over it. I’ll try to get up for it when they do. It won’t be the other way around again.
Sorry to hear.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
At what point is Pastrnak’s awful playoff hockey going to become a topic? Throw out stats. The constant turnovers, falling down, games without being a threat….just terrible. Can’t take on 11m salary for fun regular seasons.
I was okay with his play up until tonight. He was being heavily targeted , really taking a beating but trying to plow his way through but tonight he was terrible. We may need a monster game from Pasta in game 6 or 7 to close this out .

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I can't wait to have a number one center again.

Coyle has overachieved his way nicely into the top 6. Zacha is just a wing. Beecher should be in getting experience instead of having two aircraft carriers with Boqvist.

I don't get the Brazeau thing at all. Good player or whatever but he didn't earn his way into this and Beecher didn't fumble his way out. Part of the reason they went with college boy Monty was to avoid dumbshit decisions like this on young players.
We got absolutely owned in the face off circle with Beecher out. Unreal.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Usually teams hold their management and players accountable for continued playoff failure.

Not here though. Coach might get 5 or 6 years and then they're out but other than no big deal, forever jobs for everyone else.
It is a game that grown men with money play.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Very true , the lineup changes didn’t help but if the whole team is going to play as bad as they did in the first two periods did it make a huge difference? The Leafs came to play , Bruins should have been ready but they weren’t. I think they can win in Toronto, Leafs will be feeling the pressure.

How are the Bruins not feeling the pressure? They're only 0 for 5 in their last 5 elimination games.

People need to realize that this is what they are. They're definitely winning this series because you're playing the one team that chokes more than you.

It is a game that grown men with money play.

These aren't serious takes. Why watch at all if it's just men playing a game for money. What purpose does it give you if that's how you view it?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Just catching up but this one was scripted from the get go.

As for Montgomery’s lineup decisions I can’t fathom how you’d pull Beecher from the lineup. Or put Grizz in for that matter.

Boston was flat. Don’t know why or how but they just suck in game 5’s. Swayman deserved better

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What I feared would happen:

Coach messes with the lineup - check
Bruins don’t show up on time - check
Bruins play worse with Matthews out - check
Woll hardly breaks a sweat - check
Leafs kill Bruins at the dot - check
Big guns do nothing - check
Game ends in an OT loss - check
Bruins give Leafs hope - check
Swayman gets no help - check

Too predictable.
Your list is incomplete. Let me add a few items......

HF Bruins Board panics after a Game 5 loss. - check
Leafs force a Game 7, as is tradition, and panic intensifies - TBD
Leafs collapse in said Game 7, as is tradition - TBD

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
How are the Bruins not feeling the pressure? They're only 0 for 5 in their last 5 elimination games.

People need to realize that this is what they are. They're definitely winning this series because you're playing the one team that chokes more than you.
The Leafs don’t play well on home ice , I’ve been watching them all year. If there is a game 7 I would rather it be in Toronto.

Reactions: Bruin and Gordoff

bruwinz73

Jan 16, 2021
I was okay with his play up until tonight. He was being heavily targeted , really taking a beating but trying to plow his way through but tonight he was terrible. We may need a monster game from Pasta in game 6 or 7 to close this out .

Wow you must have low expectations. This Leafs team is a joke. If he is having problems now I hate to see what we get against Fla and Canes.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

These aren't serious takes. Why watch at all if it's just men playing a game for money. What purpose does it give you if that's how you view it?
Watching a game played and hoping for an outcome, one I picked.

Reactions: Festy1986

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Something I didn’t touch on in the gdt, but this team has had all season to figure out how to clear the puck from their zone…. And they still struggle with it.
Some of the softest and most casual clearing attempts I’ve ever seen tonight. A few times they had the puck on their stick, ABOVE THE FACEOFF CIRCLE, with all 5 skaters for Toronto outside the zone. Somehow the puck never made it across the blue line. I think it happened twice in the same shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad