Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 5 - BACK TO TORONTO - Leafs 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT - Boston leads series 3-2

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Do you think Beecher should have been a scratch?
Definitely not

You'd think that Monty learned his lesson from last year when he inserted (out of game shape) Bergy and Krejci into game 5 after the B's just won two straight games in Florida

..it's not a good idea to screw with what's working, so keep the same damn players in the lineup as long as they're winning

In other words..."if it ain't broke"......."don't fix it"

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just watched the GWG goal again. Yes Gryz gets outmuscled by Tavares too easily, but you also have McAvoy and Coyle both drifting in towards the net with their backs completely to the open ice, guarding nothing but space. Fair enough for one to be covering the low slot, but both is blown coverage and bad communication. And just before that you have a cross-ice pass from Coyle to Marchand that fails to connect under zero pressure, and the same two forwards both blew good chances to score earlier in the period.

Not trying to cover for Gryz - his substandard playoff record is well-established. More to make the point that there's plenty of blame to go around. Too many guys, from the top down, not thinking clearly and making avoidable mistakes. The mental issues are collective.
When you score 1 goal in a game, and lose 2-1, blaming a defenseman for a loss is idiotic.

Your post is 100% on. Griz played it pretty well. He gave up a one-handed, prayer of a shove on goal. We had 2 players sitting in front of the crease, and neither one of them handled the loose puck. Our ability to manage the puck today, was horrible. That's why we lost. Blaming the coach, or an individual player is a cop out. It was a collective effort.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Beecher should of played.
I missed Lauko.

And Peeke's absence is glaringly obvious.

Grizz shouldn't have been inserted into the lineup. We started to mess around with winning lineups last year and look what happened. Same thing.

I don't know what to think. But the Bruins need to realize they can't just play one period of hockey and expect to win. Get your heads out of your asses, boys.

Sway deserved to win tonight.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Definitely not

You'd think that Monty learned his lesson from last year when he inserted (out of game shape) Bergy and Krejci into game 5 after the B's just won two straight games in Florida

..it's not a good idea to screw with what's working, so keep the same damn players in the lineup as long as they're winning

There isn't a single person on this planet who would not have put Bergy into the line-up at that time.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Definitely not

I mean, those are HOF/club legend types at least. Something tells me that the jersey numbers of the players added tonight will stay in circulation for many years to come.

Reactions: Gordoff

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
What I feared would happen:

Coach messes with the lineup - check
Bruins don’t show up on time - check
Bruins play worse with Matthews out - check
Woll hardly breaks a sweat - check
Leafs kill Bruins at the dot - check
Big guns do nothing - check
Game ends in an OT loss - check
Bruins give Leafs hope - check
Swayman gets no help - check

Too predictable.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m free Saturday night, with just my kids lacrosse game on Sunday. So just a few more nights of this shit before I can detach again and focus on something that matters

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Definitely not

Please don't equate the 2. Its not even close. If Krejci and Bergeron are good to go, they play. Its that simple. That's like saying the Leafs should sit a healthy Matthews next game because they won Game 5 without him.

As for Beecher, yeah, I'd have started him in place of either Maroon or Brazeau, but I ain't losing sleep over it. We've blown 3-1 series leads to Toronto before, so I don't know why people are surprised by this...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad