Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 4 - BRUINS head home with a 3-1 series lead.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
The Leafs are just flat out terrible. They are so bad at defending and also at forecheck. If they don’t score on the rush, it’s over. They have no ability to dump and chase, get and KEEP possession along the wall and down low, and cycle etc. They seem to always try an immediate pass out front, and the Bs in their zone coverage have the “house” all protected, stick in lanes, and instantly the play goes the other way and out of the zone. The Leafs seem to get a two second forecheck and it’s over. This has been really easy on all the Bs D, including Gryz when he was in. I’ll give credit to our Fs being in good position also in our zone, including great C play down low and W out high and collapsing when needed. I don’t think the Leafs know what to do to beat a team as disciplined as the Bs in zone coverage. A lot of NHL teams still play man down low with 2 D and a C, but it’s not easy to play against a skill team. Vegas all of a sudden is a defensive juggernaut since Cassidy arrived and brought the zone. It’s funny, because I’m very old, and all you need to know is that ONLY zone coverage existed when I was young. Along with a few other things, like F stay in your lanes, etc. Hockey was only North South. It was be on the right side of the puck. Dump chase, hard into the corners. First guy blast the D, second get the puck. Protect the puck, keep possession down low, meet at the net, screen, no fly by, stop at the post. It was a simple game. It seems to me the simple game is making a comeback.

So many people we were worried we fell out of the Tampa matchup. I was PUUUUUUMPED

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I thought Lohrei was pretty mistake free tonight. I loved his game. Wotherspoon to me should be getting more 5v5 minutes;he also had a good game. Finally, I agree with the poster who called Carlo our best D this series. He's been awesome.
He did play well last night, and I was of the opinion that he was just to prone for mistakes in big and did not think he should play unless there was injuries, he played well his first game but still made some mistakes but last night he showed what he is capable of he he can eliminate those mistakes, and he will with experience and time.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
How many of you giggled when Keefe didn't pull his goalie on that PP?

Honestly that guy vs Monty is like Fenian fist fighting Lucic after a Heinen dig.

• Haha
Reactions: lopey

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
I put it out there after the game 2 loss that I wasn’t really feeling worried even though you don’t want to lose one of the first two home games. And a lot of people seemed to feel the same way on here.

Now here we are- the boys just ripped two road wins away from the leafs and can clinch the series at home in game 5.

This team man. “Surgical”.
I agree with you, but they did the same thing last year against Florida. Luckily Marchy has had a talk with them about it and they are well aware of it.

Marchand’s leadership, production driving Bruins in Eastern 1st Round | NHL.com

Hopefully they finish the job next game and move on.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Same sequence too. Florida won game 2 in Boston last year.
I’m definitely not getting cocky that’s for sure ,but the Leafs aren’t Florida
Great win. Nice to see Monty move away from the rotation and go with Swayman. Marshy is on a mission, guys bringing it every shift.
Not sure why Bertuzzi and Domi thought it was a good idea to target him, because it’s failed miserably…
Poking the Bear is never a smart thing to do.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Recognizing members here that suffer migraines, no disrespect intended. But also for comparative purposes ... don't forget Dr Recchi:

I know migraines are serious, my daughter has them and spent all day in bed yesterday. The migraine theory was from Friedmann, it didn't come from the Leafs themselves, that is why I am not convinced. He was at practices with all that light, I just can't see a severe migraine allowing someone to do that.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
If Zacha, Coyle and Geeky start finding the of the net :popcorn:

We got Marchy going. Let's get these guys revved up.

Reactions: BMC

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
These Toronto fans bring this on themselves. They expect to lose. The problem, imo, isn't the TO 4, it's the middle guys. Geekie, Heinen, Beecher, Lauko, Boquist are playing better than the Toronto middle guys. Montgomery is able to constantly switch line mates. For me they're the difference.
Plus the Bruins defense is pretty good.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I know migraines are serious, my daughter has them and spent all day in bed yesterday. The migraine theory was from Friedmann, it didn't come from the Leafs themselves, that is why I am not convinced. He was at practices with all that light, I just can't see a severe migraine allowing someone to do that.
yeah you just wanna lock yourself in the dark with no noise, although I guess my mom sometimes runs a preschool with them and that sounds like Hell on Earth for a migraine so perhaps it can be done

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Our bottom 6 are playing flawless hockey.
Fredric is tied for second in +\- in the league.
Boqvist is maturing and making smart plays and it was great to see JVR nicely tuck one home.

The PP and the PK are leaving me speechless.

Everything we're doing the Leafs aren't. What's leading the charge? Our leadership. Our Captain. He's vocal, he's controversial, he contributes.
I'd puke if we had an unemotional doorknob like Tavares as our Captain.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
does everyone agree that was prob the best defensive game the bruins played all season?
aside from maybe 4 minutes in the 3rd it was pretty much flawless.

This Matthews illness thing is strange. With all of the crazy injuries Bergeron played with through the years, how bad could he have been that he could play two periods but not the third in a playoff game.
to be honest. its pretty easy playing through pain.
matthews is prob dehydrated and dizzy. cant play through that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad