Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 4 - BRUINS head home with a 3-1 series lead.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You could tell Jim Jackson as a Philadelphia guy was happy to call his goal.

I think that all of Sweeney’s off-season signings were seen through the lens of “This is their penance for taking one last kick at the can last season”.

And yet, here we are.

Only in the NHL can a team get worse on paper and go further. (Although MLB is heading in that direction as of late)

They win one of the next three and this season gets a grade of A+ for me, a resounding success.
Bang on (and love the cat)

Win Tuesday they get an A+ from me as well

They are probably number 4 out of Florida Rangers and. Carolina - but they are good and they have the goaltending so nothing is impossible

Really hope we are playing Florida next weekend

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Spent some time with some old Toronto friends after the game and they have had it.

They all know what will happen if Boston wins the series - The new CEO of MLSE will fire everybody and the core will be broken up.

An odd factoid is in the O6 days Toronto was the smallest city by population ( yes even smaller than Boston ) but HNIC first on radio and then TV connected all of Ontario except the areas adjacent to Detroit and Montreal to the Leafs. Then in the 70s, Toronto's population exploded and it became Canada's largest urban area.

The Leafs' downfall can be traced to a decision not to lock up the rights to a young boy in Parry Sound thinking he was too small for the NHL.
To be fair I think any team would be having problems with the goaltending and D we have iced this series and the forwards are playing extremely well defensively too. The games have been close I don’t really see this as the Leafs choking.

They should have known 20+ years ago the path to a Cup would always be easier in the West. Similar bad long term decision like Selig moving the Brew Crew out of the AL Central the easiest division in baseball nearly every season to avoid paying a DH.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The one game the Leafs won was when we were down to 5D, and then they only beat us by one goal. The young guys playing their first playoff games have also settled down. I am hopeful they can close it out Tuesday. Maybe their trip north paid dividends too, that extra day of rest helped our boys.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
E9F97D48-76FE-4BF5-8C31-0BCB83E054D3.jpeg

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Sorry I've not yet read all the posts yet so I may have missed it, but did you see the faceoffs where they had Pasta go to them FIRST? And he went 2/2?

I was tired right, that happened? I know I saw at least one where he was first in the dot on some kind of set play.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The elimination game is usually the toughest one to win. Bruins just need to play the same way defensively as the game last night. Getting that first goal is important. It changes the narrative and the Leaf donkies have to play with their ears pinned back. They were neutralized last night. Fear of being the sacrificial goat (Reaves) is real. Bruins play the same way they got this.

Last edited:

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Heading home with a 3-1 series lead, no reason to be worried.

Dangle reminding us this morning how many times we let the Leafs win 5-6 here historically. Time to end that trend!

Easily their best game of the series and it ain’t even close. Scoring chances against were way down. They didn’t get pressured into making stupid defensive turnovers and they absolutely owned the neutral zone. Seriously, every rush up ice they made the neutral zone look like a football field. So much room.

It's interesting, because I didn't find that. Their best defensive game for sure. But I thought offensively these guys have levels above this. LEVELS. Someone else in here said "efficient". That was definitely my word.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Sorry I've not yet read all the posts yet so I may have missed it, but did you see the faceoffs where they had Pasta go to them FIRST? And he went 2/2?

I was tired right, that happened? I know I saw at least one where he was first in the dot on some kind of set play.
I saw the one where he went in first and then left for Zacha. I thought maybe just a delay tactic.

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
The mystery illnesses of Nylander and Matthews is weird. Remember Big Z with the IV in hospital in 2011, chugging his Coke on the bench when he got back to play? That's a leader.

Recognizing members here that suffer migraines, no disrespect intended. But also for comparative purposes ... don't forget Dr Recchi:

Reactions: Gordoff

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I had fun reading the TML post Gabe thread after game 3. Tonight I went back for more but it wasn't as fun. They're sad and defeated but it's like they don't even care. They're praying to not come back because if they do they'll bring back Dubas and the same core players. I ALMOST felt bad for them.
So far, here is what I think is one of the better TML posts : "Leafs would have won the Cup this year if not for the headaches and tummy aches"

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ve never been on an NHL bench, nor in a locker room and I’m not naive enough to think that teammates don’t get into arguments or say harsh things to each other on occasion.

With that being said, I can’t imagine that it happens too often where a “team leader” tells another “team leader” in essence to grow up and stop being a whiner.

I think we’ve seen Bergeron telling Marchand to calm down or knock it off…..but I can’t imagine a scenario where he questioned his manhood or maturity.

And then….he doesn’t play in the third!!

I truly think this is locker room/franchise affecting stuff.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Video is poor, but about 53 seconds in.

Why do guys always say they would give up the left nut for a win? What did the right nut do to deserve this injustice? Reminds me of an old joke. What did the left nut say to the right? Why should we hang when Dick did all the shooting?

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The Leafs are just flat out terrible. They are so bad at defending and also at forecheck. If they don’t score on the rush, it’s over. They have no ability to dump and chase, get and KEEP possession along the wall and down low, and cycle etc. They seem to always try an immediate pass out front, and the Bs in their zone coverage have the “house” all protected, stick in lanes, and instantly the play goes the other way and out of the zone. The Leafs seem to get a two second forecheck and it’s over. This has been really easy on all the Bs D, including Gryz when he was in. I’ll give credit to our Fs being in good position also in our zone, including great C play down low and W out high and collapsing when needed. I don’t think the Leafs know what to do to beat a team as disciplined as the Bs in zone coverage. A lot of NHL teams still play man down low with 2 D and a C, but it’s not easy to play against a skill team. Vegas all of a sudden is a defensive juggernaut since Cassidy arrived and brought the zone. It’s funny, because I’m very old, and all you need to know is that ONLY zone coverage existed when I was young. Along with a few other things, like F stay in your lanes, etc. Hockey was only North South. It was be on the right side of the puck. Dump chase, hard into the corners. First guy blast the D, second get the puck. Protect the puck, keep possession down low, meet at the net, screen, no fly by, stop at the post. It was a simple game. It seems to me the simple game is making a comeback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad