GDT: ECQF Game 4: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Leafs:, | 8pm, | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They just need to flow and move… that’s all the Oilers do… they force the PK to make decisions and capitalize on the incorrect ones.
Movement and flow is the Oilers bread and butter. It’s hard to defend cause you never know where any player on the ice will be.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Toronto fans I’m curious. Is there consensus within the fanbase on what holds this roster back? I really like the construction but it feels like they play way below their capabilities. Is it a heart thing? Is it a coaching thing?

I would say there is no consensus, no. Some people want the coach fired, some people focus on the star players earning the big money, some think our depth or our blueline or our goaltending is the issue.

If there's a thread you can pull, I think it's the current cap construction of the team, with four highly priced forwards who simply do not deliver or demonstrate any real leadership when the postseason rolls around. We're sick of watching the same thing, with the same results.

If they're eliminated in the first round again this year, I imagine there's going to need to be change for change's own sake, as the existing formula just does not appear to be one for success. The no movement clauses in some of these golden plated contracts will make that challenging, however. That leaves a coaching change as the most likely way to shake things up, but many think that should've came last off-season.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Why would they do that? He has 1 season he will play it out and all will be good
They have a window so they would want to be as competitive as possible for the next 5-6 years, also I don't think Tavares has negative value especially if he goes to a team that would flip him at half retention during TDL, but all of this depends if Tavares waives his NMC.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would say there is no consensus, no. Some people want the coach fired, some people focus on the star players earning the big money, some think our depth or our blueline or our goaltending is the issue.

If there's a thread you can pull, I think it's the current cap construction of the team, with four highly priced forwards who simply do not deliver or demonstrate any real leadership when the postseason rolls around. We're sick of watching the same thing, with the same results.

If they're eliminated in the first round again this year, I imagine there's going to need to be change for change's own sake, as the existing formula just does not appear to be one for success. The no movement clauses in some of these golden plated contracts will make that challenging, however. That leaves a coaching change as the most likely way to shake things up, but many think that should've came last off-season.
You think something drastic will happen? It is Trelivings first season.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They have a window so they would want to be as competitive as possible for the next 5-6 years, also I don't think Tavares has negative value especially if he goes to a team that would flip him at half retention during TDL, but all of this depends if Tavares waives his NMC.

Matthews and Nylander have years of prime left. Leafs have time to retool and take another shot with a different core. Next few seasons will be a retool on the fly

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Talking about targeting on the intermission... what a nothing bit. If you're not healthy don't play. Otherwise, suck it up it's the playoffs. Opponents would be stupid not to hit an injured player harder

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007

I think all of those connect. Shanny, GM, Coach, personnel. I'd get rid of Shanny first, then let the GM make decisions.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If he wasn’t relied on so heavily for face offs his game would be well suited to the wing.

He’s too slow nowadays and his toolbox is basically shooting the puck high and wide off the rush.
Yeh I could see that. I saw a game where a back checker caught up to him and stole the puck. And that backcheck we was far back. His boots are getting too slow.

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
Movement and flow is the Oilers bread and butter. It’s hard to defend cause you never know where any player on the ice will be.
I think the leafs have the skill to do the same thing. Marner is a great puck distributor and Matthews is the best goalscorer in the league. They dump and chase on the PP… which is crazy. Why give the other team the chance to win a battle and get the clear??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad