Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 3 - Weeping and Crying in Maple Leaf Square in the springtime air - BRUINS 4 Toronto 2 ( B's lead series 2-1 )

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Please tell me you are not talking about that tangle with Bertuzzi.

Could a capable ref called two penalties on Marchand in that sequence? Yes.

However, that same ref (note that I used "capable") would then have to call two on Bertuzzi as well.

Anyone who doesn't see two guys equally hacking, chipping, pulling and tugging at one another is just seeing whatever he wants to see.
In those situations like the one with Bert/Marchy- you call both or neither. They did the latter and I’m glad they did.

It’s playoffs. Let the boys sort out some of the laundry themselves.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I didn't mind it that much. Leafs are frustrated by Swayman and are trying to get under his skin. That brush by was mild contact, no chance of him getting hurt. I would definitely be on board watching Domi get pummeled though - they are taking runs at him, but he's got his head on a swivel and spinning dramatically away from hits; saw that at least twice in the third. He seems overly concerned about his image as a " tough guy " and that's not just an observation from this series alone. Domi has a strong case of small guy syndrome, hence why he needs to get the jump on someone when engaging in a fight, going after non fighters, mocking someone's lack of hair after he kicked Domi's ass in a fight, etc etc. The guy probably wears 3 inch lifts on his shoes when he goes out to get a burger.
Similar to Avery vs Thomas, but Thomas went after Avery.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Please tell me you are not talking about that tangle with Bertuzzi.

Could a capable ref called two penalties on Marchand in that sequence? Yes.

However, that same ref (note that I used "capable") would then have to call two on Bertuzzi as well.

Anyone who doesn't see two guys equally hacking, chipping, pulling and tugging at one another is just seeing whatever he wants to see.

So if he calls both guys, that still negates the Freddy goal. But Marchand clearly tripped Bertuzzi (intentionally) after the wrestling match. Should have been good for the extra 2 minutes.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
What a road win! Marchand personally won this game. With Debrusk, samsonov & Swayman earning honorable mention. Marchand should’ve had a 4 pt night for that assist on Fredric’s goal by attracting all the attention to his punking of Bertuzzi lol. Love how Bert embellished that trip, there is no way Brad is strong enough to swipe both feet from under Bert and make him fly like that. And that empty net goal was epic: steal from Matthews in own zone, hit the post, steal from Bert, and finally goal. It was fun watching Bert getting schooled by the master of this particular skill set. Bert has so much to learn.

Great game by all. Even JVR had a strong game. Big win despite the zebras best efforts to help the leafs. Keep Swayman in net!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My wish for game 4 is no JVR please, he was far from awful but I prefer a guy like Lauko who can force the Leafs D into making a play sooner than they would like

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
leafs fans discounting when McAvoy got highsticked saying Chuck hooked him first..missed the play; did that happen?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So if he calls both guys, that still negates the Freddy goal. But Marchand clearly tripped Bertuzzi (intentionally) after the wrestling match. Should have been good for the extra 2 minutes.

If we're going by the letter of the law here, Bertuzzi commits the first foul by willfully engaging and interfering with Marchand as he was trying to go up the ice. Refs decided to let it play out instead and the Leafs/Bertuzzi got taught another lesson - play by the sword, die by the sword.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
The issue with Leafs fans, and I’m going to try and say this without coming off condescending is that there is so much ticky-tacky stuff that things don’t always get called and they haven’t had the playoff runs to experience it.

Could the Marchand play been a penalty? Absolutely but Bert engaged with him and gave him some hacks as well. There was a missed high stick on McAvoy in the 1st. Things just tend to even out over the course of 7 games.

We had to experience that non-call on Acciari against the Blues. Sometimes you’re on the other end of it and it’s just the way things go.

The amount of real estate Marchand has in their head is actually insane

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Brad answering the call here! Good all around effort. We have to continue to walk the line, not crossing it.

Swayman was fantastic, and someone needs to put DOMI ON HIS ASS for that clown move cheapshotting Swayman.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
leafs fans discounting when McAvoy got highsticked saying Chuck hooked him first..missed the play; did that happen?
Doesn't matter. They lost. That's what counts. Leafs got away with murder last night. Domi should have been tossed for dropping Swayman. They don't mention that stuff.

Reactions: Gordoff

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Check out the NHL highlights at 2:30.
Marchand is shooting for the top right corner, but gets saved/knocked down and Jake scores.
Fast forward to Marchands first goal, and top right corner.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If we're going by the letter of the law here, Bertuzzi commits the first foul by willfully engaging and interfering with Marchand as he was trying to go up the ice. Refs decided to let it play out instead and the Leafs/Bertuzzi got taught another lesson - play by the sword, die by the sword.

Please, if we go by the letter of the law in a playoff game there isn't enough room in the penalty boxes.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
My wish for game 4 is no JVR please, he was far from awful but I prefer a guy like Lauko who can force the Leafs D into making a play sooner than they would like
I would rather keep JVR in and Lauko out.
He played a good game, usually would have scored on that breakaway and won some battles on the boards.
Lauko has zero offense in his game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Leaf radio is embarrassing themselves. Complaining about the freddy goal should of been blown dead Saying at worse coincidental should of been called. Why, it was behind the play, not affecting the play up the ice. My god get a clue. Reality is leafs went 0-5 on PP. We went 2-3. That why they lost.

I don't think so. I think they are correct.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree but that's kind of the stance you're taking here on this play and I'm just pointing it out to you.

When I saw the play as it happened, I thought it should have been blown dead. After the replay and seeing the blatant trip by Marchand, I was more convinced. Ray Ferraro was at ice level, he saw it the same way.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad