GDT: ECQF Game 2 - CAR vs BOS - Back at it in this marvelous series

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Great work on the GDT again @Svechhammer . Really enjoyed the show as well.

So,

Hoping for another strong, physical start
1D3B5F46-C6DF-49EB-B722-FEE1718E1126.gif

Resulting in turnovers
D5081A47-90FF-43C9-B76C-56C73D76C083.gif

To facilitate more sniping
910103D6-E927-42E2-9EFC-DDC4520B7CD0.gif

24174230-9106-4C65-9735-BB55AB50CCFE.gif

Defensive play shutting the Bruins down
8004D53E-FF47-493F-B133-874B8C912168.gif

And Raanta to continue his solid play
6C6A3A1C-538C-44FF-80E2-84C4D9E84BD3.gif

Do all that, and I see

Bruins falling short
E91D2ECD-E224-47B7-B7DA-E179E9AEDEDB.gif

No matter how much they try to influence the officials
25CE76F9-DE1E-4F6B-BB09-FAB2E8A8B51E.gif

So another Win before leaving town
41981535-21C8-4818-A4A3-6F653A806E79.gif

To have the Boys feeling as good as possible when they enter Boston
D6DE6ECC-017D-4779-84F9-4B32F4A70B60.jpeg

ps. Happy Anniversary @hockeynjune

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
So to recap, we won Game 1 5-1, pushed the season scoring total to 21-2 over 4 games and in a reprisal of the Regular Season matchups, showed that the Canes are not just capable of going toe to toe physically with the Bruins, but can actually start dictating play when they do. Which, lets be honest, is a huge difference from the last time these two teams met in the playoffs. Couple more games like that and this could be a quick little soiree. Oh, this is being cross posted to the main board and there are Bruins fans reading this, too?

Go Canes!
I'm sure they are reading...I am, and I have to say we are in trouble. Huge uphill battle for the Bruins to be competitive in this series.

Never give up hope but realistically, it would be a massive upset if the Bruins came back to win this series.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm sure they are reading...I am, and I have to say we are in trouble. Huge uphill battle for the Bruins to be competitive in this series.

Never give up hope but realistically, it would be a massive upset if the Bruins came back to win this series.
Many Bruins and even Canes fans won't admit it (Bs fans want to hold onto hope, Canes fans haven't forgotten the previous 2 playoff series and are no strangers to the team coming up short) but this is absolutely right.

This is playoff hockey, literally anything at all can happen. Sometimes all it takes is one goalie getting shook up a bit and the floodgates open. But through the sample size of this season and with these 2 teams as constructed right now, the Canes are just on another level and are a horrible matchup for this Bruins team. 21-2 through 4 games isn't a fluke, the Bruins just don't have answers on their roster for much of what the Canes are throwing against them.

It'd be an upset/surprise if the Canes don't win in 5 or less games in my opinion. But there's a reason you play the games and until the Canes' W column shows 4 I won't count the Bruins out. Truthfully though I would consider it a MASSIVE choke/failure on the Canes part if they don't take this series. We've seen much crazier things happen...

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC

Rationality, quite refreshing.... prior to game one I'd say 90% of your fellow bruins fans just regurgitated how they dominated the 19/20' and 20/20' Hurricanes with no regaurd for the fact that at the time the Canes were a team full of 19-21 year Olds who weren't even at NHL weight yet... (our best players)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Stranger things have happened. I'm not really going to breathe easy about any potential matchup until its over, as I've seen huge mismatches go the complete opposite direction. Sometimes teams just go into a mental block they cannot get out of (Tampa in 2019, one could argue Philly in the 97 finals, or hell, even the Falcons in SB51). But yeah....

We just aren't a good matchup for Boston. We learned from the beatings that team gave us in back to back years and built from it to make ourselves ready for a series like this. We very much could lose this series, but it would legitimately be a big upset. The only reason a chunk of the hockey media doesn't view it like this is because they still really just can't get their head around that there is good hockey in Raleigh, and they think that what happened in 2019 and 2020 is proof enough that it will happen again.

I'll be honest, I was never that impressed with either Ullmark or Swayman this season. They remind me a lot of Mrazek and Reimer for us last year in that they can be really good, but they can also allow momentum to snowball, and we've seen that happen in every one of our matchups this year.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
My only concern is that a healthy Andersen started all of those regular season games, and Anti is a fragile backup. He's a good backup, but he's a backup.

But we have not had trouble scoring on Boston this year, their pp hasn't been number 1 in the league, and our pk is maybe the best in the NHL. Hell, we play better on the PK than we do in 6v5 with the opposition goalie pulled.

Things are different this time. Yes.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Today is why Jaccob Slavin is so important to our team.

Boston is coming, and they are bringing Hell with them. I fully expect tonight to look like a repeat of game one's start because while they lost, Boston's spirit isn't broken. You gotta know that loss is eating at Marchand. Perform terribly and he'll never hear the end of it.

I truly believe that if we are able to impose our will on Boston it will be because our little light of righteousness will do what he does and erases the competition. But more than that today, along with Gleason, have to make sure that the D is well organized. It doesn't take much to flip a game quickly. Ask Florida. This is not over by a long shot. Make sure our guys don't get cocky, keep Boston to the outside, and continue playing with the violence that got you to 1-0.

And for the crowd going to the game tonight, continue to be our spirit bomb. Keep our title of loudest house in the NHL strong. Let's go boys!

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
Today is why Jaccob Slavin is so important to our team.

Boston is coming, and they are bringing Hell with them. I fully expect tonight to look like a repeat of game one's start because while they lost, Boston's spirit isn't broken. You gotta know that loss is eating at Marchand. Perform terribly and he'll never hear the end of it.

I truly believe that if we are able to impose our will on Boston it will be because our little light of righteousness will do what he does and erases the competition. But more than that today, along with Gleason, have to make sure that the D is well organized. It doesn't take much to flip a game quickly. Ask Florida. This is not over by a long shot. Make sure our guys don't get cocky, keep Boston to the outside, and continue playing with the violence that got you to 1-0.

And for the crowd going to the game tonight, continue to be our spirit bomb. Keep our title of loudest house in the NHL strong. Let's go boys!
The look on the Rats face at the end of game one might say other wise, They will try I don't doubt it... When we repel their initial ten minute onslaught tonight they will crack.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I never understood my friends of other teams (what few I have) that don't live and die by every single playoff game. But after 4 straight years, I get it. I literally grew up conditioned to expect that playoffs are like this once in a blue moon, all-or-nothing shot at the Cup.

I'm starting to have a little more understanding of how a friend of mine (Bruins fan) can walk around the day after a playoff loss not totally emotionally wrecked, but I still feel the "this game means everything" mentality bubbling down deep inside of my psyche lol.

Wait that means they don't live and die by every 82 game in the regular season? You should evaluate these relationships for toxicity.

Last edited:

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
Wait that means they don't live and die by every 82 game in the regular season? You should evaluate these relationships for toxicity.
This season was amusing with flip outs from newer Canes fans who would say the team is trash we allowed a goal and the world was ending with a every loss because they don't realize hockey is 82 games how dare they only win 70%! The Canes "Slump" after the break didn't concern me in the slightest this is a team that KNEW they would be in the playoffs and their bar is set much higher.... I would understand those freakouts if we had be a cusp/WC team.... I don't when this team had a 47-20 regulation record and 90 points when the "slump started" Had we not earned anther point we were still a playoff team.

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
I like our chances too, but the 5-1 game one win at one point in the third period was one post clunk away from being 2-2. Strange things happen in hockey, and the strength of this team all year has been managing the uncertainty.
If only post rattles counted as goals! Close only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad