Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 2 - Back to Toronto with the series tied 1-1 - Toronto 3 BRUINS 2 F

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hard to believe, eh?

That's the problem. I'd love Coyle against him and then the Bruins having another top C to be on the scoring line. Coyle simply hasn't been able to do both and asking him to is probably too much.

When it comes down to it, he's having to play his best games ever and still lost to Matthews. No one else (looking at you Zacha) is scoring down the middle. This is going to be tough if the wingers don't start putting pucks in.

Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Lohrei is super skilled, but hangs onto the puck far too long. He doesn't make quick decisions and ends up getting in trouble a lot of the time.

I feel like this (each year vs. the Leafs someone emerges) is the chance for him to carry the puck out of trouble and make a pass. People here saw the rimming the puck around the glass and having it intercepted, well here is a guy who carries it and then makes a pass. Put him in for Gryz and then Forbert for Peake.

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
Lindholm was matched up hard against the Matthews line with heavy d-zone starts. In the limited minutes McAvoy had against Matthews, he faired no better. Bruins just didn't contain that line at all and that's a 5 man failure.
I agree to an extent but it goes beyond that with Lindholm. He was soft on the puck and his passes are just off. There was a play in the second he had Charlie Coyle streaking through center ice wide open which would have led to a good scoring chance and just missed the pass and ended up icing it. He even apologized to Coyle right after and Coyle said don't worry about it. Anyone else catch that play? It's the little things with him. I will give him some credit though. Thought he was MUCH better in the third than the first 2 periods

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Who’s Leafs vaunted top 9?

What am I missing here ?

Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Taveras
Bertuzzi

Who are these other Leafs better than most of Bostons guys and don’t embarrass yourself saying Domi and Kneis (yet)

Domi is .63 ppg for his career. That's higher than Zacha, Coyle and Debrusk.

The gap in BOS's D and TOR's and between the goalies is enormous, but there's no way you can say that TOR doesn't have a very clear edge in offensively talented Fs. Whether that's enough to overcome the flaws on the team is the question. I think eventually TOR's goalie(s) fail miserably.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
No one wants to touch Bertuzzi or Domi. They both look like they could give someone an std via eye contact. Sorry if this post goes against any rules but it’s true.
Can't let them get away with what they are doing right now

Reactions: Mione134

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree with that but imo I think its a risk worth taking. I don't think the Bruins are going very far so why not give Lohrei some time and see how he does. He has great offensive instincts that could really payoff big. As far as Shatty Id leave him in, I like his PP capabilities , but I certainly wouldn't have him out there on the Pk. Hopefully Forbort ready soon and Peeke returns. The one id sit before anyone is Grizz. Ive just seen enough him, he's like a little boy playing among men come playoff time. Id much rather be going with Lohrei and give him the experience and who knows he may just be the shot of adrenaline this team needs.
I have nothing against Loheri, but I have railed against him because not for lack of talen,but more that he is just not ready, but if nothing else he gains some needed experience and it would not be the first time a rookie stepped in and had a strong playoff. I think Monty, has to try and protect him in certain situations, but they cannot go with what they have, Wortherspoon is needed as is good health for Peeke.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His future is defined in this series. Right now, Matthews owned him last night.

Is there really any shame in that?

After a long season where Coyle (and Marchand) were heavily taxed defensively he's being asked to defend a Top 5 forward on planet earth and the world's best goal scorer. In his prime no less. Matthews ate him alive in the face-off circle last night but there wasn't much Coyle could do on the opening goal where Matthews got that clean look in the mid-slot with a bounce of the stanchion, nor was it his fault on the winning breakaway goal. Defensively he's held his own vs. Matthews. He can't lose 2 out of 3 in the face-off circle. Given what Coyle's been tasked with, any offense is a bonus at this point. And it's not his fault that Marchand looks completely gassed at this point in the season.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I agree to an extent but it goes beyond that with Lindholm. He was soft on the puck and his passes are just off. There was a play in the second he had Charlie Coyle streaking through center ice wide open which would have led to a good scoring chance and just missed the pass and ended up icing it. He even apologized to Coyle right after and Coyle said don't worry about it. Anyone else catch that play? It's the little things with him. I will give him some credit though. Thought he was MUCH better in the third than the first 2 periods

Him not passing to Pastrnak on the 4 on 4 when Pasta left the zone early was maddening. Seemed like he looked and saw Pasta breaking, but peeled back deeper into his own zone instead.

If he can't make that kind of pass I don't get what hes paid for.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I have nothing against Loheri, but I have railed against him because not for lack of talen,but more that he is just not ready, but if nothing else he gains some needed experience and it would not be the first time a rookie stepped in and had a strong playoff. I think Monty, has to try and protect him in certain situations, but they cannot go with what they have, Wortherspoon is needed as is good health for Peeke.

If they can let him be Krug in 2013 that could be a big help.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it likely is Wotherspoon in.... since that was the rotation w/ Shatty before Peeke arrived from CLB... ALL Lohrei is doing is filling that roster slot that Peeke had....nothing likely changes D-wise if Forbert has essentially been ruled out for this round as has Brazeau.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I feel like this (each year vs. the Leafs someone emerges) is the chance for him to carry the puck out of trouble and make a pass. People here saw the rimming the puck around the glass and having it intercepted, well here is a guy who carries it and then makes a pass. Put him in for Gryz and then Forbert for Peake.

Just not sure what the pairings are. You kind of want both Lorhei and Forbort on the bottom pairing. Guess it has to be Lorhei with McAvoy. And then you have to decide if you are also swapping Shattenkirk out for Wotherspoon.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Domi is .63 ppg for his career. That's higher than Zacha, Coyle and Debrusk.

The gap in BOS's D and TOR's and between the goalies is enormous, but there's no way you can say that TOR doesn't have a very clear edge in offensively talented Fs. Whether that's enough to overcome the flaws on the team is the question. I think eventually TOR's goalie(s) fail miserably.
Dave you are a smart guy you know Domi sucks he’s a hack

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
It’s the same thing every year come playoff time. When two good teams play the more desperate team wins. Toronto was more desperate.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Like I mentioned pre-series, they need to avoid the self inflicted wounds.
Lindholm with a simple clear off the glass bounces into the slot, surprises Carlo who fumbles it right to Mathews who rings it off the post. Carlo then falls down leaving Domi alone for 2 rebounds.
Second goal Bruins take a penalty and leave Tavares so wide open in slot he has time for a full slapshot that Shattenkirk bails out on blocking.
Third and game winning goal Boston's best defenseman gets smoked flatfooted and lets the NHLs top goal scorer in on a breakaway.
It just amazes me that people watch these goals and still think the goalie was the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad