Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 2 - Back to Toronto with the series tied 1-1 - Toronto 3 BRUINS 2 F

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
His leaving the game and making it 5 d was a problem, but IMO wasn't THE problem.

The problem is the Leafs played a better game than they did in game 1. Bs must adjust.
No (yes), the problem was they put more pressure on our D than we did on theirs. Get the puck in and then go get it. They started out doing it but then stopped (or maybe not that they stopped but weren’t very good at it). Their D coughs up pucks constantly but Boston did get in on them quickly enough or consistently enough.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Yes, but there is absolutely no reason why the Bruins can’t do that too. They started off doing it, but I think that the leafs first goal deflated them and gave the leafs more jump. In any event, get the puck in deep against them and they’ll cough it up too.
Agree Leafs weakness is the D and goaltending,but if you don’t pressure them or get shots it really isn’t going to do much for you .

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Well that sucked.

Linus was very good last night or the score would have been a lot worse. Losing Peeke scrambled the D pairings & not for the better. I hope his injury doesn't keep him out.

Stop. passing. the. puck. when. you. can. take. a. shot. Like other posters I'm completely baffled as to this reluctance to shoot. I thought forwards liked to score goals??? No? :dunno: :huh:

On to Game 3.
Shoot and don’t just shoot but get the puck to the net anyway anyhow. It’s like they don’t know that good things happen, like tips, deflections, REBOUNDS, or even just offensive zone faceoffs, when you simply (stop me if you’ve heard this before) get bodies and pucks to the net. It’s like it’s rocket science for these guys.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Lauko has really impressed me thus far. He is causing chaos and getting pucks out and deep.

He has also drawn more penalties this season than anyone else on the team not named Pasta. Including last night. Hes one I would point to and say that he has raised his game.

Reactions: BMC

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
So what’s the strategy now if Peeke can’t go?

Shattenkirk really was only on off side so they could play Peeke. So with Peeke out, they could keep him in on his right “correct” side. That leaves Forbort, Wotherspoon, Grzelyck for two left side spots. None of these three would see PP time. But PK is a different story. Forbort probably isn’t fully ready but do we put him in anyway for PK? Can Wotherspoon get the job done? He did play a bit of PK, but is he better than Forbort at it? Does Gryz come out of the lineup? Then both Forbort and Wotherspoon can PK. Should Shattenkirk come out? Would mean Wotherspoon has to play the right side. Would also mean Lindholm back on a PP. The guy you start to realize that doesn’t fill a role of some sort is really Gryz. But Gryz is probably better 5 on 5, until he starts looking like he won’t go into a corner or battle in front of our own net. Coaches have some choices to make. Also, Carlo didn’t play the final 8 minutes. He didn’t seem hurt. Hoping it was only to shorten the bench because we were losing by one.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Lauko has really impressed me thus far. He is causing chaos and getting pucks out and deep.

He has also drawn more penalties this season than anyone else on the team not named Pasta. Including last night. Hes one I would point to and say that he has raised his game.
Are you serious?

He's the one culprit for our lack of third line ability right now. They double shifted Pasta in his place starting the second period.

He has zero chemistry with Geekie and Frederic. I've been critical of that line in particular (our worst line) but I'm well aware we have a guy that doesn't belong with those two.

That said Freddy and Geekie have been bad 5 on 5 so they all need to step it up.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

But playing on the third line he also needs to produce offence,I wouldn’t have issue with him on the third doing what he’s doing,but on the third line he needs to produce,but then he is playing with playoffs no show Freddy .

Reactions: Ladyfan and JCRO

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I thought Lauko from game 1 to game 2 was one of the biggest dropoffs along with Maroon.

Just vanished

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Are you serious?

He's the one culprit for our lack of third line ability right now. They double shifted Pasta in his place starting the second period.

He has zero chemistry with Geekie and Frederic. I've been critical of that line in particular (our worst line) but I'm well aware we have a guy that doesn't belong with those two.

That said Freddy and Geekie have been bad 5 on 5 so they all need to step it up.
I am serious and from reading a few comments, I guess Im in my own boat.

If you point to that line as a whole, yeah they stink :laugh:

I would say Lauko has been doing more of what we expect Freddy to be doing and hasnt been.

The lines need a shake up for sure. Idk I just dont point to Lauko specifically.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
This. Add some zip to the line up. Richard was brought in for this reason. Dude has been playing well in Providence. I play him 3rd line and drop Lauko down for Maroon.

Brutal call. Bruins tie the game had the dumb penalty not been called.
He was not getting a penalty until he would not let the guys collar go, he was warned.

He's a dumb ass

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If Vegas, heaven forbid, does win the Cup, it will be tainted by the shenanigans employed by their FO.
They played by the rules, wish we had a GM, that knew how to get around the cap. Change the rules but don't blame Vegas .

Reactions: BMC

False Start

May 8, 2018
I am serious and from reading a few comments, I guess Im in my own boat.

If you point to that line as a whole, yeah they stink :laugh:

I would say Lauko has been doing more of what we expect Freddy to be doing and hasnt been.

The lines need a shake up for sure. Idk I just dont point to Lauko specifically.
You're not far off. But I see him as a fourth liner playing way above his head unfortunately.

Ideally he does those positive things on the fourth line and doesn't ever play up.

Reactions: JCRO

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
So what’s the strategy now if Peeke can’t go?

Shattenkirk really was only on off side so they could play Peeke. So with Peeke out, they could keep him in on his right “correct” side. That leaves Forbort, Wotherspoon, Grzelyck for two left side spots. None of these three would see PP time. But PK is a different story. Forbort probably isn’t fully ready but do we put him in anyway for PK? Can Wotherspoon get the job done? He did play a bit of PK, but is he better than Forbort at it? Does Gryz come out of the lineup? Then both Forbort and Wotherspoon can PK. Should Shattenkirk come out? Would mean Wotherspoon has to play the right side. Would also mean Lindholm back on a PP. The guy you start to realize that doesn’t fill a role of some sort is really Gryz. But Gryz is probably better 5 on 5, until he starts looking like he won’t go into a corner or battle in front of our own net. Coaches have some choices to make. Also, Carlo didn’t play the final 8 minutes. He didn’t seem hurt. Hoping it was only to shorten the bench because we were losing by one.
Losing Peeke is series altering, the kid has been nails.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
You're not far off. But I see him as a fourth liner playing way above his head unfortunately.

Ideally he does those positive things on the fourth line and doesn't ever play up.
I think that sums it up.

Punching above his weight. Unfortunately I think there's a lot of that right now. In a perfect world guys like Lauko are playing lower in the lineup. I would say the same for the Heinens of the world and Geekies (when he ends up out there with Pasta/ Zacha although he was a key part in that goal last night with the faceoff win).

False Start

May 8, 2018
I think that sums it up.

Punching above his weight. Unfortuantely I think there's a lot of that right now. In a perfect world guys like Lauko are playing lower in the lineup. I would say the same for the Heinens of the world and Geekies (when he ends up out there with Pasta/ Zacha although he was a key part in that goal last night with the faceoff win).
Geekie had a bad game one. Made up for it a little bit last night on the goal.

That said, he's also been pretty bad even strength. Frederic, who was lauded to be efficient and steady with even strength production has gone invisible. Geekie hasn't been able to up his game with those two and also deserves some blame.

Not sure what we can do. Heinen is stapled to that line for now and unless that changes I don't see much of a ripple effect happening.

Jake is playing well on his line. Coyle is pointless so I'm expecting a regression to some scoring soon.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Can someone please explain to me why we are playing so tentative with little to no aggressive forechecking. We are treating the Leafs as if they are peak Oilers with Gretzky, Messier, etc. This is not how I remember playing them during the season. The Leafs D is even worse then the Bruins when it comes to an aggressive forecheck and they have Samsanov in nets. If they continue to play this passive hockey they are losing this series. The Leafs D had all the time in the world to retrieve the puck and pass it up ice. Monty once again is proving himself to be a playoff dud when they had a chance to put a chokehold on a series. Although Ullmark played well, playing him over Swayman was asinine, no other coach in the NHL does that. He had better make adjustments for game 3, without their PP and EN goal they have only scored only 4 goals all series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad