Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I think it is, frankly, and the media will catch on with the four-in-five playoff matchups storyline this Spring.

Isn't that what makes it right, though? Hate is everything, dreading another series against 'those guys,' whoever those teams are for every team, is what hockey should be all about. Not fearing them exactly, but the repetition and knowing what comes with those matchups (the media circus, etc.) That's what should make the new playoff format so great. The same teams will be matched up over and over, unless there is a lot of fluidity (though I expect there will be haves and have nots in the Patrick).

Is it hate, or is it tedium?

Rags were the best possession team of the possible opponents (borderline Cup contender based on that, IINM) but they always seemed to play below their own level this season and it seemed like more than just randomness causing it. Let's hope there's something to that...

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't recall that the tedium lasts beyond a game. Once the games start, the rancor level rises quickly. That's just the nature of the playoffs, and playing the same team over and over, it grows. I'm fairly certain these teams don't much like each other.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Is it hate, or is it tedium?

Rags were the best possession team of the possible opponents (borderline Cup contender based on that, IINM) but they always seemed to play below their own level this season and it seemed like more than just randomness causing it. Let's hope there's something to that...

Yep but their possession goes no where for the most part. Their best shifts consist of cycling for a good 45 seconds with maybe a point shot thrown in there.

Then they just collapse in the dzone and give the opposition loads of time and space. The caps will do serious damage with all that time and space. If anyone watched the Rangers game today they will know what I'm talking about. The devils had so much time and space in the offensive zone but they just aren't that good and couldn't score.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
If the Caps play to their capabilities they'll win this in 5 games.

Yep. Last 37 games:

25-10-2

126 GF (3.41 average)
88 GA (2.37 average)

This team really has been dominant and IMO the only team that we should really be "scared" of is Pittsburgh but IMO even they're beatable.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
If the Caps play to their capabilities they'll win this in 5 games.

I would guess a whole bunch of Rangers fans would say the same thing about their team. Only difference is, the Caps actually have spent the 2nd half of the season playing to their capabilities, while the Rangers have never found their game for any sort of lengthy period.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Wanted Toronto.

Am content with Rags over Isles or Sens.

Sure hope the refs don't swallow their whistles this series. That might be the key.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Coach Adam Oates had a closed-door chat with his team after the game

"Tonight obviously is the end of the season, and we know who we're going to play and how soon we're going to play, so we talked a little bit about focus from now on," Oates said. "We came a long way to get this far and we obviously want to go a lot further, so we talked about rest and focus."

So no partying before and during the playoffs hopefully?

I love Oates. :D

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Before the fanbases start trying to kill each other (more than already), wanted to just pop over and say congrats on getting in and good luck (but not too much :naughty:). Have fun!

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm glad we have Volpatti and Oleksy this playoffs. No Schultz and more heart on the team. Erat could be a factor around the net. As always, key in on Callahan. He is the guy that will get under the Caps skin and I expect they'll try to chip in shots. Good grief, have to see Boyle too :(. Green better protect himself and I hope he burns them this year. I hope Ovechkin hits everything he can and the goal light burns out.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Will see how the pieces fall together...

MoJo-Backstrom-Ovi
Erat-Ribs-Brouwer
Laich/Perry-Laich/Perry-Ward/Fehr

Probably the best Caps top 9 in the last 6 playoffs.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It is funny to read on the Rags board how Rags fans are so annoyed by the Verizon Center's goal horn. Now they know how us Caps fans feel when that dumb ass "OHHHHHH" song is played in MSG after Rags goals. :laugh:

And that's what makes it fun.

Enjoy the series...again. lol

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm glad we have Volpatti and Oleksy this playoffs. No Schultz and more heart on the team. Erat could be a factor around the net. As always, key in on Callahan. He is the guy that will get under the Caps skin and I expect they'll try to chip in shots. Good grief, have to see Boyle too :(. Green better protect himself and I hope he burns them this year. I hope Ovechkin hits everything he can and the goal light burns out.

Yup. Remember when sarge tripped over on his back while getting deked and in turn let up a goal in the playoffs a few years ago? Sorry no youtube. Yeah it will be nice too have some grit out there rather that ******.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad