ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I heard that too and chuckled. He was entertaining an idea to play 4 on 4 and even 3 on 3 after a certain number of OTs. And by the fourth OT it would be 2 on 2, and finally, a goalie against a goalie in the fifth. ;-)

Sharp should have slapped him.

Reactions: Firsov99

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Man is Chicago ever dumb. Should have traded Kane for an absolute King's ransom instead.

Hawks would be in cup contention if they did.

Lol no

With that defense and goaltending?
They could have Gretzky and still miss the playoffs.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I'm really too old for this kind of punishment. Going up in the middle of the night to watch overtime games.

This time with a good ending though.. puh!

Holtby played well, played on par with Bob which is what is needed to win this series.

Now if Caps win the next game as well...

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
So I said this earlier imo knowing your team can come back from a deficit and being able to do it as many time as Columbus has in the last 20 or so games is a good thing but on the other hand having to do it every game is like playing with fire. The stats for teams who fall behind in a game have to be atleast a little more on the losing end. Columbus has trailed in all 3 games, while the caps had a fortunate bounce in OT they were definitely due.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Every game has been a coin flip, just as this series was predicted to be.

Momentum can last from shift to shift and sometimes from period to period but it doesn’t exist game to game. I think the Caps will be hard pressed to win two in a row in CBus and even if they do they are almost have to win game five as well and winning three in a row seems impossible.

Losing those two home games really hurt their chances.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Momentum can last from shift to shift and sometimes from period to period but it doesn’t exist game to game. I think the Caps will be hard pressed to win two in a row in CBus and even if they do they are almost have to win game five as well and winning three in a row seems impossible.

They can do three in a row. Like you say, momentum doesnt move from game to game. Just win one at a time.

Holts roared back to burn your village. It was very much needed. Also few pipes and Ellers bouncy-goal was needed, thats rare for us. This one was a high pressure game so maybe it helps the team to relax a bit and not worry so much. But please not too much.

In all these games we have been in control for most of the time, but we have to find a cure for the panic mode desperation. It starts from one mistake or a call that doesnt go our way etc and is followed by a 3-5 minutes of pure choke-art-work performance when everyone is just running chasing the puck in D-zone (leaving guys open at net and blueline) and/or just turtling to our net (giving 85% of the ice for the Jackets for free). Good thing there is 3 timeouts handed out by NHL for every period, that normally calms things down a bit.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well there you go. Better goaltending for the Caps as well as the PKs and PPs reverting to what we'd expect.

I didn't count wristers yet though so I'll get back to you on that.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Even down 3 games to 2, they would still have a fighting chance.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I didn't watch the game, only the highlights. The announcers were clear on Ovi making a bad pass to Orlov in that equalizing Panarin goal. The pass looked fine to me but I only saw it from one angle. Were the announcers right?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I didn't watch the game, only the highlights. The announcers were clear on Ovi making a bad pass to Orlov in that equalizing Panarin goal. The pass looked fine to me but I only saw it from one angle. Were the announcers right?

Was it a good pass? No

With that said, Orlov did have two chances of getting the puck and especially on the second attempt of doing so he just missed it. I'd blame that more on Orlov than anything.. but in hindsight it's ok, cuz one helluva goal was scored and Caps won in the end so I'll take it :P

If there's ever a chance to put Ovy down you know it will be done.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps fans seem like a broken fanbase these days. They used to be so confident. Back around 2010.

Real Caps fans are never confident. Be serious. That said we also know how these things work. That 2 game series lead sucks. Look where CBJ is now. They cant lose g4. If they do, the Caps have the momentum and are going home. They certainly cant claim any superiority after 3 games as with one more good play per game or one less bad play one team could be up 3 zip.

I think the good news for Washington is that Holtby looked like is typical zen like self. With Ovechkin Backstrom and Carlson being their top producers and Holtby back to himself, there isn't someone to point the finger at.

Now, if the Caps win g4, they will have all the pressure to win g5 at home.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Pretty good game overall. Both goalies played really well. Too bad it had to end on a garbage goal, but they all count so on to game 4.
Caps winning this game is not unexpected. The Jackets need to win the next game and go back to DC with a 3-1 lead. If it goes back 2-2 then I figure the Caps would take the series because they would have all of the momentum.

Nah - the Caps are in a scientific realm where momentum doesn't exist.
As a long suffering Caps fan nothing surprises me any more - I'm going to expect the worst and hope for the best.

The sad thing is, no matter who wins, the next round is probably against the Pens and that will be....no fun at all. Almost easier to just lose now and avoid the crushing humiliation, especially for Caps fans.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

It was off target by a foot or two, but Orlov could've controlled it as it came back to him off the boards.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Fluke goal - which sucked, but whatever - it happens.

Columbus was definitely the tired team in that 2nd OT. Caps were playing with more speed and confidence so as flukey of a goal as it was, it almost wasn't surprising.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Question for CBJ fans: does Bob bobble glove side shots often? I feel like I have seen four or five times in the series where he had shots go toward the glove and he didn't catch it on rather easy opportunities.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Question for CBJ fans: does Bob bobble glove side shots often? I feel like I have seen four or five times in the series where he had shots go toward the glove and he didn't catch it on rather easy opportunities.

He's pretty good at glove control, but the first goal is really hard to block, because the deflection comes as the glove goes up, so the puck instantaneously changes direction to down.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
He's pretty good at glove control, but the first goal is really hard to block, because the deflection comes as the glove goes up, so the puck instantaneously changes direction to down.

I mean dropping pucks that should be caught. The OT goal was a tough situation as he was moving, but there have been times in the series where he was square and the puck bounces off his glove instead of him catching it. I am wondering if this is common with him. Not an indictment for sure, stopping the puck is stopping the puck. None of the others that I have seen really affected the game all that much.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I mean dropping pucks that should be caught. The OT goal was a tough situation as he was moving, but there have been times in the series where he was square and the puck bounces off his glove instead of him catching it. I am wondering if this is common with him. Not an indictment for sure, stopping the puck is stopping the puck. None of the others that I have seen really affected the game all that much.

With shots coming from elite players like Ovechkin, it'd still be hard for a former Vezina winner to get the puck into his trapper all the time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
lol he still sucks but atleast he sucked and had that go in off him. Almost found a way to make it not go in. If it landed on his stick he would have shot the boards.
:laugh:

I personally like Eller a lot and I think he's always played better in the playoffs. But yeah that was a freaking ugly goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad