Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Toronto won't try to push a Matthews/Bergeron match-up will they? I think Boston would want to but I doubt Toronto does.

Don't think that matters. In a way, that's a win-win for the Leafs. If Bergeron's line is matched with Matthews, that leaves Kadri-Marner as a line that doesn't have to worry about Bergeron. If they aren't matched against Matthews, the same applies, but for Matthews instead. Either way, either Marner or Matthews will have some good OZ potential and hope they can capitalize on it.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The fact of the matter is that the Leafs were much better equipped to beat the Bruins in 2013 than they are now. People will laugh but Leafs don't have guys like Dion and Orr (who played every game in that series). Leafs have no one to keep them honest, and Boston will run wild and will be open season on Freddie/ Marner.

Many want to act like the regular season is like playoffs, but it's not even close to the same game . Yes, regular season is more based on skill, but playoff hockey still remains a mans game, a game of a attrition, and intense MENTAL BATTLE. Leafs don't have the parts to win this series. Fans and (more importantly) management are about to realize this.

Leafs are on the right track, but this series is going to be a major reality check for this regime. Need to add more grit, and improve the back end.

Phaneuf you say?

Reactions: stickty111

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
on the road, Matthews, Nylander & Hyman match up against Bergeron's line, both pretty much cancel each other out at that point, with our depth > Bostons...

at home Kadri matches up against Bergeron, allowing the Matthews line to dominate the Kreiji line

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Well if I'm Bab's I would probably rather match Kadri's line up against them but you never know.
For 10 minutes: Bergeron vs. Plekanec, Marchand vs. Komarov, Pastrnak vs Kapanen
For 10 minutes: Bergeron vs. Kadri, Marchand vs. Marleau, Pastrnak vs. Marner

Just stick on to them like white on rice when they are on the ice.

For the remaining 40 min balls to the wall:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown

...or something along these lines.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Don't think that matters. In a way, that's a win-win for the Leafs. If Bergeron's line is matched with Matthews, that leaves Kadri-Marner as a line that doesn't have to worry about Bergeron. If they aren't matched against Matthews, the same applies, but for Matthews instead. Either way, either Marner or Matthews will have some good OZ potential and hope they can capitalize on it.

Top lines usually cancel each other out. We have more star power after the top line though.

JvR is a third liner on this team and he’s scored the most goals among all the players in this series.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Top lines usually cancel each other out. We have more star power after the top line though.

JvR is a third liner on this team and he’s scored the most goals among all the players in this series.

Precisely. Marner, Kadri, JVR > Nash, Krejci, DeBrusk etc.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Precisely. Marner, Kadri, JVR > Nash, Krejci, DeBrusk etc.

Yeah, it’s not even close. Just look at the drop in goals for the Bruins after their top line.

35, 34, 30 to 17.

Leafs: 36, 34, 32, 27, 22, 20 and then 15.

Marleau and Kadri could have had like 35+ goals had they played with Marner all season.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, it’s not even close. Just look at the drop in goals for the Bruins after their top line.

35, 34, 30 to 17.

Leafs: 36, 34, 32, 27, 22, 20 and then 15.

Marleau and Kadri could have had like 35+ goals had they played with Marner all season.

Kadri would have had 40 playing with Marner all year IMO.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Hello guys, I'm back to ride the Leafs' bandwagon for another playoff run! I've been following all year and love to see the Leafs play exciting hockey. :nod:

Please please please beat Boston! I would love to see the Leafs win a couple rounds in the playoffs against great teams. And please prevent Boston from injuring any of Toronto's top 6....

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Babcock gives the Leafs an edge, but he's not a miracle worker. He can't make his brain dead top 2 dmen (Reilly and Gardiner) understand situational hockey. Chara, Krug, and Mcavoy can all process the game a lot quicker than our 2 "studs". Goaltending is a wash. Both are quality goalies, and Freddy will show up.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
on the road, Matthews, Nylander & Hyman match up against Bergeron's line, both pretty much cancel each other out at that point, with our depth > Bostons...

at home Kadri matches up against Bergeron, allowing the Matthews line to dominate the Kreiji line

Boy its gonna be a tuff series!

Their top line is definately more complete than ours as a 2 way group.

Our 2nd has more punch but their additions (Heinen, Debrusk, Donato, Nash) give them 3 lines with Krejci and Backes that can compete with most!

I think we have a couple of advantages at this point:

1) We're fresher and healthier

2) They are trending in the wrong direction and have had a much heavier load lately

3) We have built a 4th line that can take some load off the top 9 at times in tight situations.Ex: a few dzone faceoffs. Pleky needs to live up to his bill, Leo the same but if they do, it can allow our top 2 lines some more energy to dominate. Tuff challenge but I think this is why we got Plek.

Gonna be interesting, lets see who steps up for us!

You can throw corsi out the window, it will be a battle on battle series that has more to do with individual success than the danglers can predict!

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Babcock gives the Leafs an edge, but he's not a miracle worker. He can't make his brain dead top 2 dmen (Reilly and Gardiner) understand situational hockey. Chara, Krug, and Mcavoy can all process the game a lot quicker than our 2 "studs". Goaltending is a wash. Both are quality goalies, and Freddy will show up.
Chara doesn't do anything quick anymore. I think you're still living in the past.

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
If so many are so confident that the Leafs will win, they should bet on them. They are significant underdogs, so it should make for a nice profit!!!

Oddsmakers have Leafs as pretty big dogs for a reason, and they are much smarter than 98% of fans.

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
Chara doesn't do anything quick anymore. I think you're still living in the past.

Chara is still playing at a very high level.. and he still has enough foot speed. Chara is better than any dman on the Leafs and it's not even close LOL. Chara is a freak and will play for at least 4 more years.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Chara is still playing at a very high level.. and he still has enough foot speed. Chara is better than any dman on the Leafs and it's not even close LOL. Chara is a freak and will play for at least 4 more years.
He's going to play till he's 45? Alright

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If so many are so confident that the Leafs will win, they should bet on them. They are significant underdogs, so it should make for a nice profit!!!

Oddsmakers have Leafs as pretty big dogs for a reason, and they are much smarter than 98% of fans.

Where are you seeing odds? I'm not seeing series odds up at the big sites yet.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

He didnt look too good tonight and neither did much of their D. It will be a war of attrition based on how tired they are, not the # of hits thrown!

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I live in Montreal right now. I'm off work Thursday and debating whether I can justify leaving my pregnant wife to drive down to Boston for game 1. Very white people problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad