Online Series: Echo - All episodes available January 10, 2024

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Searched and couldn't find a thread for this so here we go.

Honestly, it looks pretty good/intriguing to me. I didn't care to much for Echo in the Hawkeye series, and I had read some not so great things about this series' development process.

But the trailer is intriguing(Keep in mind of course every Marvel trailer tends to be really good) and Vincent D'Onofrio was so good as Fisk in Daredevil that we can only hope they let him continue embracing that role the way he wants too going forward starting here with Echo.

I doubt we see much if any crossover between Loki happening now and this Echo series but Loki has been so good that it has renewed my general interest in the MCU again after a couple years of most mediocre or worse releases and at least personal a pretty "meh" outlook on things.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looks interesting .. will watch to see more of Kingpin in the MCU

Concerned that this might fall in line with the recent MCU D+ shows that have underwhelmed. I know they've made changes recently in their approach but I'm not sure that it would carry forward into Echo right now.

Still worth a watch.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Looks interesting .. will watch to see more of Kingpin in the MCU

Concerned that this might fall in line with the recent MCU D+ shows that have underwhelmed. I know they've made changes recently in their approach but I'm not sure that it would carry forward into Echo right now.

Still worth a watch.

One thing I didn't mention that I didn't even realize was the case...

This will be Marvel Studios very first TV-MA series on Disney+

That immediately peaks my interest because this could be a good precursor for what to expect from a violence stand point with Daredevil down the road and also maybe if this does reasonably well it helps get a Moon Knight season 2 that's TV-MA as well.

I'm betting this show will be a lot more like the Netflix series' which could be a great thing if it's anything like Daredevil, JJ, or The Punisher were. At least IMO.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So weird you could not find it I had posted this a while back that they were releasing them all at once

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I am one of these few men who liked She-Hulk (grew up on the comic and her breaking the fourth wall!) and totally loved Ms Marvel (Iman is one of us!), but Echo getting her own show is a head scratcher. She'd make a good side character. Will give it a shot, but with the lowest expectations for a Marvel show this far.

Reactions: Primary Assist

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I am one of these few men who liked She-Hulk (grew up on the comic and her breaking the fourth wall!) and totally loved Ms Marvel (Iman is one of us!), but Echo getting her own show is a head scratcher. She'd make a good side character. Will give it a shot, but with the lowest expectations for a Marvel show this far.

Feels like this is more of a character builder for Kingpin as a bigger character in future MCU projects.

Build his depth as a villain without making it a must-watch to keep pace with the moves, so those that follow the entire MCU can appreciate his big screen character more.

.. at least I'm optimistic :laugh:

Reactions: Fripp and mattihp

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I mean they definitely seemed to want to project the same vibes as the netflix shows. Even dropped the no good deed goes unpunished...maybe a punisher appearance?

Definitely interesting. Seems like theyre testing the waters here. Really hope its good/successful.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can't help but be pessimistic at this point. Secret Invasion really pushed my limits as a fan. It also had a great plot / trailer and turned out to be the worst Marvel project to date. Loki has been a breath of fresh air, but the Marvels looks like the same old, same old MCU movie plot formula and I can't help but think Echo is going to fall by the wayside.

Hope I'm wrong. They really need to get things back on track if they want to keep this train moving and a dose of Kingpin / Daredevil is a good starting point.

Reactions: mattihp

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
I'm a big marvel fan, but I'm expecting this one to suck. It was originally filmed as an eight episode show but was declared to be unreleasable by Kevin Feige. They reshot a bunch of it and it's now 5 episodes and being dumped all at the same time. Which is something Disney+ shows don't usually do. I'll still watch and maybe they were able to piece together something interesting, but definitely go in with low expectations.

Reactions: Kurtz

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I can't help but be pessimistic at this point. Secret Invasion really pushed my limits as a fan. It also had a great plot / trailer and turned out to be the worst Marvel project to date. Loki has been a breath of fresh air, but the Marvels looks like the same old, same old MCU movie plot formula and I can't help but think Echo is going to fall by the wayside.

Hope I'm wrong. They really need to get things back on track if they want to keep this train moving and a dose of Kingpin / Daredevil is a good starting point.
With Secret Invasion it felt like they had a half-assed script and a lot of the actors phoned it in, especially the actress who played G'iah. Olivia Colman was incredible though.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They sure seem to have done a better job with the character than in the Hawkeye series in order to make it work.
The mature audience rating also pushes it towards those netflix series, especially Daredevil and Punisher, and the violence of Kingpin when he showed up on the Netflix shows.

This is also the first product that while in the MCU, is standalone supposedly, though I thought MoonKnight was also pretty standalone.

"Though Echo was first introduced in Marvel's 2021 Hawkeye series, the spinoff arrives under Marvel's new Spotlight banner, making it the first of several standalone TV shows and films where viewers won't need previous knowledge of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) to follow the show.

Brad Winderbaum, the company's head of streaming, said in an interview that the banner "gives us a platform to bring more grounded, character-driven stories to the screen … our audience doesn't need to have seen other Marvel series to understand what's happening in Maya's story.""

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not sure how well its going to do just given some of the rumors around the show.... But I am genuinely very excited to see how Marvel does with its first mature audience rated show.

Hoping to see a return to gritty violence we saw a lot of in the Netflix arcs. And then hopefully we see more of that in future series.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Liked the first episode, a mix of what happened on Hawkeye and other scenes giving us a better understanding of who Maya is. That Daredevil fight was also great.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Watched the first 2 episodes. Really enjoyed the episode 1. The second seemed a little slow for a series with only 5 episodes. Enjoying it so far though.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Tone-wise, characters-wise, it was pretty good. Closer to the Netflix series for sure. I just thought it [really] wasn't fleshed out enough - I had no idea how many episodes there was, and when I understood it was ending, I was like "what, that's it??". It's a filler between other things, that's ok, but it could have been better disguised as its own thing. I guess it was a test too with the Spotlight stuff.

It's really just too short. There's just no struggle for the character. The better Netflix shows (JJ, DD, Punisher) had the main characters always beat up to a pulp and defeated. Maya's got it real easy, she could have killed Fisk like 32 times in 5 episodes, without a sweat. Same, so short that her powers just appear and it's "oh well, now there's that". I guess it could have been written a little better!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Tone-wise, characters-wise, it was pretty good. Closer to the Netflix series for sure. I just thought it [really] wasn't fleshed out enough - I had no idea how many episodes there was, and when I understood it was ending, I was like "what, that's it??". It's a filler between other things, that's ok, but it could have been better disguised as its own thing. I guess it was a test too with the Spotlight stuff.

It's really just too short. There's just no struggle for the character. The better Netflix shows (JJ, DD, Punisher) had the main characters always beat up to a pulp and defeated. Maya's got it real easy, she could have killed Fisk like 32 times in 5 episodes, without a sweat. Same, so short that her powers just appear and it's "oh well, now there's that". I guess it could have been written a little better!
I was thinking the same thing, it needed more episodes...5 of them made it feel more like an quick intro to her and her new powers and also a prequel to Daredevil which I assume she will show up.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad