ECHL to Richmond

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Richmond Admirals has a nice ring to it.
THAT longstanding hatred between the two markets remains though, folks, and may have had Monumental Sports play a major role in that as well as the Blackhawks stealing the Norfolk franchise up a level to "promote "it as a better option....

again, until Henrico County settles on an arena to replace the Coliseum, it's a no...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Maybe whenever/whoever the team owners become, they can petition Phillip Morris USA for permission to name the club: "The Virginia Slims & None." :cool:
THEN obviously you know nothing about the I-64 rivalry between Norfolk/Hampton Roads and Richmond.... it is equivalent to a BOS/New York mentality or a Boston/LA MENTALITY depending on which sport is discussed

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
You REALLY need a hobby.
The article says they got approval last fall, and there was another article that quoted the developer saying they would have ECHL hockey at the arena, but I found no follow up articles about ground breaking or progress. After I read the articles I spent part of my lunch break on google maps trying to see if there was anything going on. I did find an image of a construction site at that location, but it was just site prep, no buildings yet, and they did have approval for some housing in the same area.

Now I feel like maybe I need another hobby too. :(

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... After I read the articles I spent part of my lunch break on google maps trying to see if there was anything going on. I did find an image of a construction site at that location, but it was just site prep, no buildings yet, and they did have approval for some housing in the same area. ...
Are you gonna be the SECOND person I have to 'splain Google Earth to? You cannot see real-time images there. Though Mrs. JMC keeps looking. :whatever:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Are you gonna be the SECOND person I have to 'splain Google Earth to? You cannot see real-time images there. Though Mrs. JMC keeps looking. :whatever:
I realize it isn't real time. I was using street view, not the satellite images. Some times you get lucky and its a new image - especially if roads are being built as part of the development and they specifically send a vehicle that way to update. Obviously if I had seen arena construction going on it would have to be an image from the last 3 months. If there isn't any construction that doesn't really tell me anything. (I would assume there is a way to look at the data associated with the images to see when they were taken, but I don't know how, and it wasn't important enough for me to research it.)

If you have a way to see real time images, or you travels take you through Richmond and you can take some pics, please share.

I'm going to D.C. in April, maybe I'll see how far out of the way it is to do a driveby while I'm there. :DD

Lake Simcoe Travels

Oct 23, 2017
I realize it isn't real time. I was using street view, not the satellite images. Some times you get lucky and its a new image - especially if roads are being built as part of the development and they specifically send a vehicle that way to update. Obviously if I had seen arena construction going on it would have to be an image from the last 3 months. If there isn't any construction that doesn't really tell me anything. (I would assume there is a way to look at the data associated with the images to see when they were taken, but I don't know how, and it wasn't important enough for me to research it.)

If you have a way to see real time images, or you travels take you through Richmond and you can take some pics, please share.

I'm going to D.C. in April, maybe I'll see how far out of the way it is to do a driveby while I'm there. :DD
Henrico HAS NOT broken ground on a new arena...still in planning stages.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

This was announced back in February. Things are coming to fruition.

Design for the arena will be finalized in the fall. Construction is expected to begin in early 2024 with completion in 2026.

Any chance they move an AHL team here?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Design for the arena will be finalized in the fall. Construction is expected to begin in early 2024 with completion in 2026.

Everything online says this is a proposed facility and nothing has been approved yet

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011

Who is "they?" And what AHL team would move there, if this even ever comes to fruition?

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
I guess I spoke too soon. I just want to see hockey in Richmond again lol.

I wonder if we'll see the Coyotes move the Roadrunners out of Tucson, but I think that would happen before this tentative place is even built.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I guess I spoke too soon. I just want to see hockey in Richmond again lol.

I wonder if we'll see the Coyotes move the Roadrunners out of Tucson, but I think that would happen before this tentative place is even built.

I don't see anything about it being compatible with hockey. Is there even a plan for a permanent ice plant?

AHL chances are minimal. AHL is obviously subservient to the NHL and I can't see any NHL team that would seriously consider Richmond for more than half a second. Too far from travel partners to be make the prospect development formula viable for any AHL team.

ECHL chances are more than minimal but still not good. 18500 would be the biggest arena in the ECHL so the lease would be something insane.

SPHL chances are less than minimal. They have their niche and an arena that big doesn't fit it.

CANADIENSFAN90

Oct 1, 2016
vermont
I don't see anything about it being compatible with hockey. Is there even a plan for a permanent ice plant?

AHL chances are minimal. AHL is obviously subservient to the NHL and I can't see any NHL team that would seriously consider Richmond for more than half a second. Too far from travel partners to be make the prospect development formula viable for any AHL team.

ECHL chances are more than minimal but still not good. 18500 would be the biggest arena in the ECHL so the lease would be something insane.

SPHL chances are less than minimal. They have their niche and an arena that big doesn't fit it.
The fphl 100 percent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad