ECHL to Albuquerque?

hockeyfan32

Apr 6, 2023
Neither you nor I can grow the sport, unless one of us has a few million dollars to burn. If that's crap to you, then you can have it.

There’s an interested ownership group in Bernalillo County according to numerous articles with ticket interest. Not sure what else to say.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You must be fun at parties. Anyway, I heard the first time. Again, there’s hundreds of thousands of people in many areas with underserved hockey markets. That’s not a “favor”.

A few pieces of advice, since it looks like this is your first day on HFB and probably haven't been filled in on what goes on here.

Saying "where would it be cool to put a team" has been done a million times before. Every place from Flin Flon to Richmond has already been discussed, I know it is your first day but there is a search feature. Use it. Any place can support hockey if they have the right combination of rink, owner, and market support. Go input whatever ridiculous you have in those threads so they can be promptly ripped apart as they have been done a million times before with am million other people.

This is a thread for confirmed talks about ECHL hockey in Albuquerque. The link you posted just says there is still no franchise purchase agreement, lease agreement, confirmed ownership group, affiliation agreement, or anything at all. It isn't even something worth posting because there is absolutely no new information or even an update.

And if you're looking for people who are fun at parties, @JMCx4 and everyone else on HFB, myself included, like discussing things based in reality or this realm of existence. No, we're not fun at parties. On second thought, @mk80 might be if you can drag him out of the broadcasting booth.

Lastly, please keep your posts within the realm of existence we currently live in. We have enough caps-locked challenged psychos who exist in other realms of existence. Suggesting rich people owe a debt to underserved markets is a notion that you aren't thinking in reality and doing it again means HFB is required to call and report you to your local mental health clinic.

hockeyfan32

Apr 6, 2023
A few pieces of advice, since it looks like this is your first day on HFB and probably haven't been filled in on what goes on here.

Saying "where would it be cool to put a team" has been done a million times before. Every place from Flin Flon to Richmond has already been discussed, I know it is your first day but there is a search feature. Use it. Any place can support hockey if they have the right combination of rink, owner, and market support. Go input whatever ridiculous you have in those threads so they can be promptly ripped apart as they have been done a million times before with am million other people.

This is a thread for confirmed talks about ECHL hockey in Albuquerque. The link you posted just says there is still no franchise purchase agreement, lease agreement, confirmed ownership group, affiliation agreement, or anything at all. It isn't even something worth posting because there is absolutely no new information or even an update.

And if you're looking for people who are fun at parties, @JMCx4 and everyone else on HFB, myself included, like discussing things based in reality or this realm of existence. No, we're not fun at parties. On second thought, @mk80 might be if you can drag him out of the broadcasting booth.

Lastly, please keep your posts within the realm of existence we currently live in. We have enough caps-locked challenged psychos who exist in other realms of existence. Suggesting rich people owe a debt to underserved markets is a notion that you aren't thinking in reality and doing it again means HFB is required to call and report you to your local mental health clinic.

Yikes.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
A small intimate gathering is more my style. True fact I actually skipped my high school class reunion to call a game this season.

I tried to drag him outta the booth once, but he held on to the table like it was last call in the Titanic lounge ... :partytime:
On the Titanic I prefer to think I'd be in the band, calling the action as it went down:nopity:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

That's my advice. You don't have to listen to it. It seems like you're a nice enough person, but there are certain rules here you have to follow. Many of them are on the HFB rules page you were forced to check off that you read. Others are common decency and etiquette. HFB is a loving group of contributing posters, we'd love to have not just you but anyone with a passion for this to be a part of it. Just follow HFB rules and keep your thought processes in this realm of existences, don't go spouting off nonsense that belongs in other realities.

Reactions: Roadhog

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
That's my advice. You don't have to listen to it. It seems like you're a nice enough person, but there are certain rules here you have to follow. Many of them are on the HFB rules page you were forced to check off that you read. Others are common decency and etiquette. HFB is a loving group of contributing posters, we'd love to have not just you but anyone with a passion for this to be a part of it. Just follow HFB rules and keep your thought processes in this realm of existences, don't go spouting off nonsense that belongs in other realities.

Pie-in-the-sky expansionist fanbois with no grasp of reality need to be put in their place. Well done, Barclay.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Again to sum up the status of a New Mexico team. It at least seems there's some sort of discussions between the ECHL and a potential ownership group, but if a team is to come to fruition it's certainly not happening in time for the 23-24 season.

Reactions: hockeyfan32

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Oh, yeah, well, at least I'm fun at parties. Says so in this thread, no denying it now. :dm:

You've lost a lot of your pie-in-the-sky fanboi expansionism and have started to live in reality this past season.

Again to sum up the status of a New Mexico team. It at least seems there's some sort of discussions between the ECHL and a potential ownership group, but if a team is to come to fruition it's certainly not happening in time for the 23-24 season.

Only once in the last 25 years has an expansion membership been granted to a city that started playing with less than a year's lead time, and it was going into an existing market. It's definitely not going to happen in Albuquerque, a market that failed in another pro league and has been out of the game for 13 years.

Reactions: Roadhog and mk80

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I’m still confused at this rumor. Just seems like a rumor to stir the pot & nothing else.

If the rumor had any merit, I think a 30-32 team ECHL where every team has a 1-1 affiliation would be cool.

- Athens, GA
- Albuquerque, NM
- Stockton/Fresno, CA or Reno, NV
- Colorado Springs, CO

Where else would be a candidate to get to 1:1?
Even if the echl expanded to 3 other markets on the West Coast+Stockton, Calgary did a lot of damage to Stockton anybody who tries to fix it will have their work cut out for them.

hockeyfan32

Apr 6, 2023
Even if the echl expanded to 3 other markets on the West Coast+Stockton, Calgary did a lot of damage to Stockton anybody who tries to fix it will have their work cut out for them.

I was just commenting on Albquerque. But there’s INTEREST in other areas as well. I find it interesting that the Idaho Steelheads & Utah Grizzlies are able to make it work traveling to Orlando & Cincinnati when they could make things a bit more regional & cut down on costs.

Someone educate me why traveling to Cincinnati is a good idea here. I’m not with reality though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I was just commenting on Albquerque. But there’s INTEREST in other areas as well. I find it interesting that the Idaho Steelheads & Utah Grizzlies are able to make it work traveling to Orlando & Cincinnati when they could make things a bit more regional & cut down on costs.

Someone educate me why traveling to Cincinnati is a good idea here. I’m not with reality though. :rolleyes:

There's interest. There has been interest in a few dozen markets where nothing has ever happened. Interest isn't worth discussing on any platform. Anything past interest is worth discussing. I could call a newspaper up and say I'm interested in a team, it is nothing special. Once you have some sort of lease agreement worked out that's the point you can come back here with something to show.

Almost all ECHL teams have a long weekend set on the other side of the country or a good week long road trip. That whole "making it work" comes down to divisional play, and teams like Newfoundland helping pay for away team's travel costs. Idaho had one long trip this year to Worcester to play a three game set. They never played Orlando or Cincinnati. Not sure where you're getting that information from, unless it is that other realm of existence you usually inhabit. Every ECHL team has one good long week long trip. Regular divisional travel is the make or break for teams, not the long one week trips like this season where Utah played four games in six days traveling through Greenville through Savannah to Orlando and three games in five days in Jacksonville. If Utah was forced to do that for divisional play then their economic feasibility is minimal at best. Doing it once a season in one short go and the rest of it being much easier divisional play, where they still never played at Cincinnati like you claim they did, is the expectation and one that is easier to swallow.

Reactions: Roadhog

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Haha yeah if you say so. while Utah travels to Cincinnati & Orlando. Makes sense.

Please find me the away games Utah played at Cincinnati

Because I am going back all the way to the 2019-20 season, they never played Utah never played Cincinnati.

If you can provide the link to the other reality you live where they did travel to play those Cincinnati Cyclones, let me know. Other than that, you're just proving our point you don't live in reality. See my other post for why they played Orlando.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Haha yeah if you say so. while Utah travels to Cincinnati & Orlando. Makes sense.

Yeah, you know that Salt Lake and Cincinnati are Delta hubs, right? When you call up an airline and need to book 23 tickets between two hubs, you can usually get a deal. Considering that getting a bus nowadays is around $1,800 per day plus a fuel surcharge, 23 tickets between two hubs is going to be pretty comparable.

Similarly, JetBlue offers direct flights from Salt Lake to Orlando. Teams know the schedules far enough in advance that trade deals can be worked out to cover the cost of the airfare.

But then, thanks to Barclay, we know that Cincinnati hasn't hosted Utah for years, and you can't be bothered to look things up, so why don't you just take your dumb ideas elsewhere?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Please find me the away games Utah played at Cincinnati

Because I am going back all the way to the 2019-20 season, they never played Utah never played Cincinnati.

If you can provide the link to the other reality you live where they did travel to play those Cincinnati Cyclones, let me know. Other than that, you're just proving our point you don't live in reality. See my other post for why they played Orlando.
There's this thing that exists called a "Media Guide" that the ECHL produces every year.

In it, Cincinnati has only played Utah twice; both "ties" (though really that probably refers to the Cyclones losing in Overtime or Shootout).

The ECHL does allow teams to travel wherever they want to schedule, but teams like to keep things as close as possible for economic purposes. That's why, despite me wanting it, you'll never see the Adirondack Thunder play the Wichita Thunder. And out west, especially after the loss of the Pacific teams, Utah, Idaho, and Rapid City like to play one another about 15-20 times a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad