ECHL Affiliations

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So that leaves the Allen Americans, Rapid City Rush, and Wichita Thunder without affiliates so far.

And there are 8 NHL teams without any ECHL affiliates: Washington, Winnipeg, San Jose, Ottawa, St. Louis, Vancouver, Calgary & Nashville.

Rapid City did confirm that on the 25th (Thursday), they will announce their new affiliate (my guess it'll be the Sens since their affiliation with the Gladiators has ended).
why would Ottawa land in SD, Adam.... all indications are Rapid City aligns with Calgary and isn't Washington aligned with South Carolina?

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
So that leaves the Allen Americans, Rapid City Rush, and Wichita Thunder without affiliates so far.

And there are 8 NHL teams without any ECHL affiliates: Washington, Winnipeg, San Jose, Ottawa, St. Louis, Vancouver, Calgary & Nashville.

Rapid City did confirm that on the 25th (Thursday), they will announce their new affiliate (my guess it'll be the Sens since their affiliation with the Gladiators has ended).
Washington is affiliated with South Carolina

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... And there are 8 NHL teams without any ECHL affiliates: Washington, Winnipeg, San Jose, Ottawa, St. Louis, Vancouver, Calgary & Nashville. ...
Some NHL/AHL organizations see no need for ECHL affiliates. There are other leagues available to develop prospects & park AHL players on rehab.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
why would Ottawa land in SD, Adam.... all indications are Rapid City aligns with Calgary and isn't Washington aligned with South Carolina?

Correct about Washington and South Carolina. So that would leave 7 NHL teams without an affiliation.

The only reason my guess it's the Sens was because their affiliation with the Gladiators ended and maybe they already signed with another team as an affiliate. But it's just a guess.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Correct about Washington and South Carolina. So that would leave 7 NHL teams without an affiliation.

The only reason my guess it's the Sens was because their affiliation with the Gladiators ended and maybe they already signed with another team as an affiliate. But it's just a guess.
Washington has always been with Charleston aka SC after having Norfolk switch leagues twice, 1ST WHEN Chicago brought them up to the A, then the switch back after Anaheim brought hockey to San Diego, which is why Norfolk is the original Bakersfield franchise, then they switched to Richmond, before their collapse and that's how Washington has been with the Stingrays ever since.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Washington has always been with Charleston aka SC after having Norfolk switch leagues twice, 1ST WHEN Chicago brought them up to the A, then the switch back after Anaheim brought hockey to San Diego, which is why Norfolk is the original Bakersfield franchise, then they switched to Richmond, before their collapse and that's how Washington has been with the Stingrays ever since.
That's not true. The Capitals were affiliated with Reading for a brief spell in between there from 2012-14. They were with the Stingrays before that, and have been again since 2014.

June 2012 - Capitals Announce Affiliation Agreement with Reading Royals

June 2014 - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...affiliation-with-echls-reading-royals-ending/

Reactions: JMCx4

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I could see ECHL trying to expand to San Antonio. I'm skeptical about the reports of Athens and Rio Rancho
not likely, SSE kept the Rampage in SA BECAUSE any potential ownership goes through SSE, either through the AT& T Center... SA is done after the Spurs sold their rights to Black Knight,(VGK) just like the WNBA Silver Stars are now under Marc Davis and Mandalay Bay as the LV Aces, and SSE has stated its core business is now the Spurs solely.... Athens depends on what Atlanta ACTUALLY does which hasn't been publically revealed yet, all we know is Atlanta's 20th year, and the lease is expiring.... WHAT other arena is there in San Antonio to bring hockey there after a 20 year run as the Rampage, the CHL doesn't exist anymore, it's the same as convincing a fanbase that's been in one league to embrace another league.... I just don't see San Antonio as a viable market now that SSE has moved on

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Checking the AHL Transactions Logs, the only unofficial affiliation seems to be Nashville - Norfolk. Everyone else is using multiple teams without any discernible pattern.

The Abbotsford Transaction Log onply lists Wichita, but I know they have a guy in Kalamazoo, also. He was assigned before Opening Day rosters were set, so he doesn't show up.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Checking the AHL Transactions Logs, the only unofficial affiliation seems to be Nashville - Norfolk. Everyone else is using multiple teams without any discernible pattern.

The Abbotsford Transaction Log onply lists Wichita, but I know they have a guy in Kalamazoo, also. He was assigned before Opening Day rosters were set, so he doesn't show up.
WPG/MTB has 4 guys with Newfoundland again this year.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad