ECHL added to NHL 17

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I've only played the game a couple of times, but I can't imagine it will be terribly accurate with ECHL teams. The rosters are so fluid, unless the don't release the game until November whatever rosters they put in will be a guess at best. Then as teams sign players throughout the year that weren't in the system to start with, how would they add them? Will the player attributes even be realistic?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I've only played the game a couple of times, but I can't imagine it will be terribly accurate with ECHL teams. The rosters are so fluid, unless the don't release the game until November whatever rosters they put in will be a guess at best. Then as teams sign players throughout the year that weren't in the system to start with, how would they add them? Will the player attributes even be realistic?

I didn't play for a while but it was possible to download updated rosters into the season.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I get this only because I like playing sports games online but I have to ***** about something. I wish they could actually get like the real teams arenas and photos of them so that while you're playing in pretend atleast the game is in that actual arena like the NHL teams. They still haven't done that for the AHL if I recall.

They are way overselling the development thing in the game though but I guess its time that they gave the game a spark. Madden needs to do the same.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
The AHL has been in it for years the rosters aren't 100% accurate if I had to guess.

I recall there were players in the ECHL that were assigned to their AHL affiliates (or the team they used to play for, since there weren't any ECHL teams to put them on), with the addition of ECHL that will be fixed.

People playing as their favorite teams will probably end up changing rosters, lines, etc to their liking anyways. Another thing that was always done with AHL teams was that lines were automatically generated based on player overall level, so you'd have your top lines always having the best players despite what they'd be in a real AHL game.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I recall there were players in the ECHL that were assigned to their AHL affiliates (or the team they used to play for, since there weren't any ECHL teams to put them on), with the addition of ECHL that will be fixed.

People playing as their favorite teams will probably end up changing rosters, lines, etc to their liking anyways. Another thing that was always done with AHL teams was that lines were automatically generated based on player overall level, so you'd have your top lines always having the best players despite what they'd be in a real AHL game.

I guess that makes sense. I see they are adding it to the career mode or whatever so you can go up all the way through the system. Didn't think they would go that far with the add to be entirely honest. Figured it'd just be an add like the random European teams.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I guess that makes sense. I see they are adding it to the career mode or whatever so you can go up all the way through the system. Didn't think they would go that far with the add to be entirely honest. Figured it'd just be an add like the random European teams.

If they are adding it to Career mode, it'll be interesting to see how it works for the ECHL teams without NHL / AHL affiliations and vice versa. Usually you pick the NHL teams and you get their AHL affiliations and all that. I wonder what they'll do to make that work.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm personally thrilled about this (the only one bigger would be KHL of course, but that'll never happen). Now EA just needs to add NASL to their FIFA game, and I'd be happy.

Of course, the ECHL teams will likely use generic arenas, but that's alright; most of the international teams have been getting that treatment for years.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I'm personally thrilled about this (the only one bigger would be KHL of course, but that'll never happen). Now EA just needs to add NASL to their FIFA game, and I'd be happy.

Of course, the ECHL teams will likely use generic arenas, but that's alright; most of the international teams have been getting that treatment for years.

I think you can make your own arena for one of the modes, hopefully they implement something where you can play in the custom arena for any game or any team. That would be pretty cool.

I'm sure they'll use generic arenas for all of the other leagues, even though they're recycling the same models that they've used in past games for the NHL.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

So have the AHL teams. You'd think they could take 5 minutes to use a picture and look up things like the goal horn songs and all lol

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I think you can make your own arena for one of the modes, hopefully they implement something where you can play in the custom arena for any game or any team. That would be pretty cool.

I'm sure they'll use generic arenas for all of the other leagues, even though they're recycling the same models that they've used in past games for the NHL.

Another gripe. These sports games don't upgrade much year to year but they own you in the fact if you wanna play online you must buy.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
So have the AHL teams. You'd think they could take 5 minutes to use a picture and look up things like the goal horn songs and all lol

It takes considerably more work than just look at a picture for 5 minutes to make an arena but don't let that stop you from making your strong takes.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007

Maybe not. This article from the Quad City Times states that the iWireless Center (where the Mallards play) will have their schematics incorporated into the gameplay...

Prior versions included American Hockey League teams, as well as junior level and European clubs. The Mallards were asked during this previous season to submit schematics of the iWireless Center as well as images of the center ice logo in preparations for development of the game.

http://qctimes.com/sports/hockey/pr...cle_d81558dd-4e11-54da-b090-a63b8156d0bf.html

How much detail the software developers plan to show for a given ECHL arena is anyone's guess, but it sounds like they're trying to add some realism based on the QC Times article.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
They have the time, resources and the brains.

Just lazy america.

Except they don't. The development cycle for a yearly sports franchise is extremely tight and the NHL team is fairly small compared to the other EA Sports teams. It would be extremely resource intensive to make accurate arenas for a league that most people playing the game don't know about let alone know what all the arenas look like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
They don't work all year.

The game isn't worth full price for what they add.

I'll still get, I like EASHL, it but I also haven't bought any of the other NHLs for the PS4.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
They don't work all year.

The game isn't worth full price for what they add.

I'll still get, I like EASHL, it but I also haven't bought any of the other NHLs for the PS4.

I get all of the NHL games free with EA Access on Xbox One. For 30 dollars a year it's worth it, you pay half the price of a single game and get access to games year round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad