ECHL 2020-21 Mascot of the Year Voting is Open ...

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Would you be first up in the interview queue?

I wore a mascot costume once as first-year team employee 26 years ago. I'm still trying to get the smell off.

If you ever have the chance to talk at length with a minor league mascot performer, they're... something. Often, they basically believe that they are the character (to the point of saying things like, "Hi, I'm JMCx4, you can call me CoolRay,") or that fans come to see the mascot more than they come to see the game. For fans under the age of eight, that might be true.

One mascot guy once told me, "I don't understand why more fans don't buy my jersey. I'm the only one you know is going to be with the team every year." His jersey, meaning a replica of the mascot's jersey, which were only available in kids sizes in the team store. He literally couldn't separate himself from the mascot costume/persona.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I wore a mascot costume once as first-year team employee 26 years ago. I'm still trying to get the smell off.

If you ever have the chance to talk at length with a minor league mascot performer, they're... something. Often, they basically believe that they are the character (to the point of saying things like, "Hi, I'm JMCx4, you can call me CoolRay,") or that fans come to see the mascot more than they come to see the game. For fans under the age of eight, that might be true.

One mascot guy once told me, "I don't understand why more fans don't buy my jersey. I'm the only one you know is going to be with the team every year." His jersey, meaning a replica of the mascot's jersey, which were only available in kids sizes in the team store. He literally couldn't separate himself from the mascot costume/persona.
When the Royals used to do live jersey auctions for charity, Slapshot's jersey was often in the top 3 for price. Partly, as you say, you know he isn't leaving for the AHL in a few days. Partly because they started out as a 5xl, and then had some extra material added to the waist, so folks who couldn't wear a player jersey could fit in them, and partly because there was one guy who would always run up the prices on them. (The last few seasons they have gone to online auctions to benefit the team, and they increased the number of jerseys available for purchase, so the prices are much lower. Plus you don't get to see the final price unless you are bidding on that jersey.

I knew our mascot performer back in the day, and he was a little off too. He always referred to Slapshot in the third person though, and he was very different in the suit than outside it. He had a whole backstory, and personality for the mascot, and would get "in character" once the suite went on. When he had to take a game off, or missed a community appearance it was obvious there was someone else in the suit that day.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... If you ever have the chance to talk at length with a minor league mascot performer, they're... something. Often, they basically believe that they are the character (to the point of saying things like, "Hi, I'm JMCx4, you can call me CoolRay,") or that fans come to see the mascot more than they come to see the game. For fans under the age of eight, that might be true. ...
"CoolRay" ... Hmmmmm ... might be time to change my member name ... :badidea:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I was never more shocked at a hockey game than the time I overhead the fully costumed team mascot having a long conversation with a pre-scool aged kid at a Memphis RiverKings game. It was like the Tooth Fairy & the Easter Bunny & The Great Pumpkin descended on our seating section to tell me they were all made up. :eek2:

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Fans of the defending Kelly Cup champion Komets come through, giving their mascot Icy D Eagle the win. :boredom:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad