Series Talk: ECF - Bruins vs. Hurricanes

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Round 2 schedule still undecided, have to assume it will be Thursday/Saturday for the first 2 games in Boston.

Goaltending seems to be the main area where we have the advantage, so hopefully Tuukka can keep it up. Carolina's special teams have been among the worst teams this playoffs, instead doing their damage at even strength.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Line 1- advantage Bruins
Line 2- advantage Bruins
Line 3- advantage Bruins
Line 4- advantage Bruins

Top 4 D- advantage Carolina
Bottom pair D- advantage Bruins

PP- advantage Bruins 29% to 10%
PK- advantage Bruins 84% to 75%

Faceoff- advantage Bruins 53% to 50%

Goalie- advantage Bruins

Home Ice- Advantage Bruins

Experience- Advantage Bruins

Rest- Advantage Carolina

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Do not make the mistake of taking the Hurricanes lightly. They've always given the Bruins trouble, even in the regular season.

If there is one area the Bruins have a complete advantage it is in goaltending. Mrazek had been on fire but he missed the last 2 games with an injury. McIlhenny filled in well but I have my doubts about him going forward.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
Just saw something I don't like re: the schedule
  • Game 1: at Boston, Thursday, May 9, 7:30 p.m., NBCSN
  • Game 2: at Boston, Sunday, May 12, 3:00 p.m., NBC
Hope they're wrong. Hate matinee playoff games.

They say right in article that it is a guess based on availability... so I wouldnt take it as definite...

"The schedule for the series is not official yet, but based on arena availability around the league, we believe Game 3 will be next Tuesday and Game 4 next Thursday at PNC Arena. That sets up the following schedule for the first four games:"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I haven`t got a clue what this series is going to look like. The Canes are absent an elite star, have some nice players with some skill but hardly put anyone in the elite category, have a 35 year old goalie between the pipes but likely Mrazek will be ready, so hardly a Vezina candidate (s), Canes like to play quick, tend to play wide open hockey, not the most physical team but somehow, here they are again.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
I haven`t got a clue what this series is going to look like. The Canes are absent an elite star, have some nice players with some skill but hardly put anyone in the elite category, have a 35 year old goalie between the pipes but likely Mrazek will be ready, so hardly a Vezina candidate (s), Canes like to play quick, tend to play wide open hockey, not the most physical team but somehow, here they are again.

If Aho doesn't qualify as an elite star, he's getting close. Always seems to play us well too.

#Player NamePos.GPGAPtsPIMGPGAPtsPIMBirthplaceAge
20Sebastian AhoC8230538326Finland: Rauma21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Carolina is a volume shooting team but so many bad outside shots. This is a good match up for our defensive style and should be quick.

Reactions: bbfan419

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
my list of "elite" players isn`t easy to crack, I think too many are too quick/generous in handing out the elite tag

He`s a terrific young talent, not in elite territory at this stage for me

Fair enough. He's been able to really drive his line with Williams and Foegele this playoffs though - allowing the Canes to stack Nino - Staal - Teuvo (which seems like a great playoff line).

Will be interested to see if we do more strict match-up play this series. Stick Chara on the older, slower Williams? Carlo takes the Staal line?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair enough. He's been able to really drive his line with Williams and Foegele this year though - allowing the Canes to stack Nino - Staal - Teuvo (which seems like a great playoff line).

Will be interested to see if we do more strict match-up play this series. Stick Chara on the older, slower Williams? Carlo takes the Staal line?

Let`s see how he does vs truly "elite" players like Bergy/Marchand, my guess is either McAvoy or Carlo will be on the ice every time his line steps over the boards

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Much less scared of Carolina than CBJ or TOR but that makes me nervous. As others have said they give us trouble and they're on a Cinderella run right now. Plenty capable of being a spoiler.

We're the much better team, I think we're getting hot at the right time. If tuukka can keep this up we're tough to beat, I'll go Bruins in 5. It'll be important to go up 2-0 in Boston.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Much less scared of Carolina than CBJ or TOR but that makes me nervous. As others have said they give us trouble and they're on a Cinderella run right now. Plenty capable of being a spoiler.

We're the much better team, I think we're getting hot at the right time. If tuukka can keep this up we're tough to beat, I'll go Bruins in 5. It'll be important to go up 2-0 in Boston.

I`m actually more concerned, that`s a team who has now eliminated the reigning Cup champs then made quick work of the Isles (no, not a powerhouse team), they are all playing hard for one another, with many doing things out of their comfort zone for the team, chemistry going, THAT is the recipe for teams to make deep runs, the most talent doesn`t always win, the Canes are this year`s example of that

I look at that lineup and think, should be over in 5 but no way do I see that happening

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My guess is ECF Game 1 goes Thursday night in Boston, followed by the Sunday Matinee for the NBC execs.

The WCF starts Saturday night eastern time (late afternoon in whatever is the host city) to appease Rogers desire for a prime-time eastern time Saturday night tilt and avoid Friday which is historically the worst night for TV.

After that it will be every second night starting with Game 2 of WCF on Monday, Game 3 of ECF on Tues. and onward.

Just a guess though.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm going to say the same thing I said about Columbus, the Hurricanes are statistically speaking on an extremely lucky run right now and that bodes well for the Bruins who have most of our star players shooting below their career average. Regressions to the mean in each direction is likely over a long series.

Staal, Foegele and Teravainen over half their goals while shooting 31.3%, 28.6% and 18.8%.

Similar to how Columbus entered the series with Duchene above 30% and Panarin, Jones, and Bjorkstrand shooting over 20%, over the course of the series their numbers came down to much more reasonable levels other than Duchene who still managed to score 2 goals despite only registering 8 total shots in 6 games, he was essentially completely shut down.

Now I don't think it's going to be an easy series by any means, I just think statistically we're in a great spot in that we aren't just overachieving right now.

I don't expect McElhinney to be posting a .947 like he has so far though either lol

(I'm a big numbers guy if it wasn't already fairly obvious hahah)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad