Speculation: Early predictions: contracts for UFAs and RFAs next year

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I think Lernout and Reilly are gone for sure. If Audette wants to stay, it should be an AHL deal only.

I think Benn is pricing himself out of town. For Olofsson, I guess it'll depend on what their doctors say.

Hudon will have a contract but might ultimately be lost to waivers, same for McCarron.

Lehkonen and Armia will be signed. And I don't see them trusting Lindgren to be the back up so a new goalie should be coming in.

So I'd say max 5 of these players will be signed (Lehkonen, Armia, Hudon, McCarron, Olofsson).

Reactions: Archijerej

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
So as of today, we have given 39 contract out of 50. Whose left?

• Hudon
  • Lehkonen
  • Armia
  • Benn
  • Reilly
  • Audette
  • McCarron
  • Lernout
  • Olofsson
  • Backup goalie If Lindgren isn't the one

Which do you keep? Which do you say bye to. Which should you try to sign only AHL deals with? And shouldn'T we keep a few spots for Collegial/CHL free agents and July UFA's?

I also understand that you can package guys to make deals so it would give us more space...but let's pretend we don't...

Obviously Keep

Lehkonen
Armia

Hope We Keep

McCarron - Bouchard had a lot of positive commentary on McCarron and he really seemed like he was progressing out of the Levfebre era funk he found himself in. I'd like to see if he can salvage an NHL career after another 50 games or so in Laval.

Reilly - Unless we sign another LD, I would like to see if Reilly can find enough consistency to be an NHL regular. Even if he tops out as a 5/6 D-Man.

Indifferent On

Hudon - I'm okay if we give him one more training camp to see if he can hash out a role on this team but won't be upset if we decide to move on this Summer either.

Olofsson - I'd like to see him get a chance in the organization beyond 2 AHL games. They obviously liked something to trade for him. But we have a crowded left side at the AHL level with Oulette, Alzner, Sklenicka, and Leskinen so this might be a contract to move on from. I'll be okay either way.

AHL Contract

Audette - Had a strong finish to the AHL season. I don't think there is much NHL upside, and he's very far down our depth chart so hes unlikely to see NHL time barring an Ebola outbreak; but would provide good competition at the AHL level.

Lernout - Is probably 3rd (on the right side), maybe 4th on the AHL depth chart if Juulsen starts the year there. Not much of a path to the NHL in Montreal anymore. I Would be fine to trade for a similar forward prospect but he would provide depth at the AHL if he was willing.

See - Ya

Benn - I'd potentially sign him to a one year deal, but logic says that after a career year, at 31 years old, he'll be looking to get some cash and term. Don't think it makes sense for us.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa

• Hudon
  • Lehkonen
  • Armia
  • Benn
  • Reilly
  • Audette
  • McCarron
  • Lernout
  • Olofsson

Which do you keep? Which do you say bye to. Which should you try to sign only AHL deals with? And shouldn'T we keep a few spots for Collegial/CHL free agents and July UFA's?

I also understand that you can package guys to make deals so it would give us more space...but let's pretend we don't...

Judging by the order of his signings, NHL first (Folin, Thompson, Weal, Kulak) then AHL (Belzile,Ouellet), Benn is not getting signed.

Audette, McCarron, and Lernout will probably be offered AHL deals, all the others will be signed (some traded).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

• Hudon
  • Lehkonen
  • Armia
  • Benn
  • Reilly
  • Audette
  • McCarron
  • Lernout
  • Olofsson

Hudon, Leks, Armia, McCarron and if they think Olofsson's injury woes are over with then him too but if not then find someone else.

If they don't believe in Lindgren as the backup then I got to think he or another goalie will be traded as I don't think Primeau will be in the ECHL and McNiven was much better this past season so don't think they would want to demote him when they don't even have a team so they would have no say at all in his playing time.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

• Hudon
  • Lehkonen
  • Armia
  • Benn
  • Reilly
  • Audette
  • McCarron
  • Lernout
  • Olofsson

Lekhonen and Armia are the only virtual sure things I see there. Would not be surprised if most of the rest are not in fall camp.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Will the Habs or others have some buyouts? Weise? Alzner?

Larry Brooks was speculating if the Rangers buy anyone out Brendan Smith and Kevin Shattenkirk are candidates.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Larry Brooks was speculating if the Rangers buy anyone out Brendan Smith and Kevin Shattenkirk are candidates.

No, Alzner contract make it not worth and for Weise, we have alote of capspace so no

Chili

Jun 10, 2004

If the Habs don't buy anyone out, then some of these guys won't be qualified, especially the last two...

Hudon
McCarron
G. Olofsson
Reilly
Lernout
Audette
Shinkaruk

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Weise only got one year left so it's not going to hurt that much to bury him in the minors.
I would buyout Alzner in a heartbeat. But in the end, if you're not doing anything else with the cap space that it would provide, it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: Mandala

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Weise only got one year left so it's not going to hurt that much to bury him in the minors.
I would buyout Alzner in a heartbeat. But in the end, if you're not doing anything else with the cap space that it would provide, it really doesn't matter.

Personally, I'd bury both in the minors. Weise, as you say, has one year left and it would be a waste to buy him out now. As for Alzner, I think if a trade isn't the answer, then buy out is the option they will take. However, I'd also wait a year before I buy him out. If they buy him out this summer, he will be on the cap for six years. And I think his second year, he will count at $4M against the cap. If they wait a year and buy him out then, he will only count against the cap for four years. So they will save themselves two years on the cap.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

they would save less then 600K to buy out Weise, like Alzner I think he would be good for Laval to help with the younger players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personally, I'd bury both in the minors. Weise, as you say, has one year left and it would be a waste to buy him out now. As for Alzner, I think if a trade isn't the answer, then buy out is the option they will take. However, I'd also wait a year before I buy him out. If they buy him out this summer, he will be on the cap for six years. And I think his second year, he will count at $4M against the cap. If they wait a year and buy him out then, he will only count against the cap for four years. So they will save themselves two years on the cap.

I wouldn't buy him next year either, will still count 4M against,

2020 buyout- Karl Alzner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2019 buyout - Karl Alzner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Might as well bring Benn back on a 1 year deal. He was great on the 3rd pair.

I love how you think the team dictates this situation when he's an UFA, not RFA

If you're Benn, why in the world do you take a 1 year deal after just finishing a 3 year 3.3 mill deal, he's gonna go checking the market, see what teams offer what, looking for term obviously

and Personally, good riddance, we dont have money to waste on him, it should go to better players

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I love how you think the team dictates this situation when he's an UFA, not RFA

If you're Benn, why in the world do you take a 1 year deal after just finishing a 3 year 3.3 mill deal, he's gonna go checking the market, see what teams offer what, looking for term obviously

and Personally, good riddance, we dont have money to waste on him, it should go to better players
When we have all the cap space in the world we can overpay for a 1 year deal. Nobody else is ready to take on that bottom pairing role.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Likely gone Hudon, Peca, Benn and Reilly.
Weise and Alzner will be probably be buried in the minors.
Likely coming back: Armia and Lek.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
When we have all the cap space in the world we can overpay for a 1 year deal. Nobody else is ready to take on that bottom pairing role.

I dont know which part of your paragraph I should disagree more with lol

Overpay ...for ....Jordie Benn.......for 1 year when he wants more than 1 year.... nobody...else? free agent or otherwise?
Jesus, you must really like this guy, luckily, he's as good as gone.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

It's all about that 3.5M Cap the Habs can have this season.
If the Habs need some money to make trades or sign UFA player, better use it for that then paying Alzner.

His second year he will cost 4.1M of cap hit, but if you wait until next summer, doesn't really matter cause he will cost 3.9M instead.

If we buy him out this year, he will indeed be on the Cap for 6 years ending in 24-25.....if we wait for next summer, he will be on the Cap until 23-24. That's not 2 years cause if you until next summer, this year will count at full price. So it's only 1 year at 1M$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Montreal have 5 players that are restricted after this season . Armia , Lehkonen , Hudon , Reilly , Kulak .

Question is who will they resign because each player need to receive qualifying offers from the team or they become unrestricted.

Armia
Currently - 1 850 000 per due 100 % increase ( 3.7 00 000 per )

Lehkonen
Currently - 839 166 per due 105 % increase ( 1.720 290 per )

Hudon
Currently - 650 000 per due 110 % increase ( 1. 365 000 per )

Reilly
Currently - 725 000 per due 105 % increase ( 1.486 250 per )

Kulak
Currently - 900 000 per due 105 % increase ( 1.845 000 per )

Nice prediction

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
At 1.3 mil cap hit and only for a year, it's a nice gamble.
Meh, I think he's lost most of his luster based on his play this year, he's no longer the guy who performed decently in a short sample for TB. The narrative of him being the next hidden gem to be uncovered due to TB's depth no longer works here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I dont know which part of your paragraph I should disagree more with lol

Overpay ...for ....Jordie Benn.......for 1 year when he wants more than 1 year.... nobody...else? free agent or otherwise?
Jesus, you must really like this guy, luckily, he's as good as gone.
Who else is there that would sign a 1 year deal? Benn has been with the Habs for a while, I like his chances to sign a 1 year deal instead of anyone else.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's all about that 3.5M Cap the Habs can have this season.
If the Habs need some money to make trades or sign UFA player, better use it for that then playing Alzner.

His second year he will cost 4.1M of cap hit, but if you wait until next summer, doesn't really matter cause he will cost 3.9M instead.

If we buy him out this year, he will indeed be on the Cap for 6 years ending in 24-25.....if we wait for next summer, he will be on the Cap until 23-24. That's not 2 years cause if you until next summer, this year will count at full price. So it's only 1 year at 1M$.

You are correct. I miscalculated it all.

As you can tell, math is not my strong suit. Needless to say, the wife takes care of the finances.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad