Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I hope we get 1st overall and draft Beniers. Because what that would tell me is Yzerman has identified him as and elite center. And I’ll take Yzerman scouting over all these douchers any day, after the seider pick.
the power move would be to not win the lottery and get beniers and then take shane wright next year when we win the lottery.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I did a ton of flying and airport lounge sitting yesterday so I got an opportunity to listen to more eliteprospects podcasts.

They love Beniers, and even Craig Button is comparing Beniers to Kesler "without a single elite offensive tool". If memory serves, Kesler didn't really have any elite offensive tools either. Still, he was a Selke caliber 2C.
They believe that Eklund is having a better year this year than Raymond and Holtz were during their draft year and is at the very least a prospect on the same level. The EP team love his two-way play and attention to detail. No mention of him jumping to center, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beniers and Eklund go 2/3 in this year's draft.

EDIT: There was also talk about Simon Edvinsson being a tremendous talent and how he reminds them both of Philip Broberg. This is exactly what I feared and why I want to stay away from him.

I'd like to hear more about some of the CHL guys but I understand that it may take a minute. I think we're all still a little hazy on who are going to be the guys to watch in the late 1st to the 3rd round this year.

Sidenotes:
Mark Yannetti from the LA Kings sounds like a f***ing moron. And looking at the LA Kings draft record from the time he took over as director of amateur scouting makes Tyler Wright look like a stable genius.

Seattle sounds like it's in pretty good hands with Ron Francis and Robert Kron, 2 former Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes. I don't get the feeling they'll build the Vegas way and look to be a competitor ASAP. I think they'll go the more traditional route and look to compete within 3-5 years. Kron was also the head European scout for Carolina for a few years so the Kraken are a team that I think will heavily invest in its international scouting early on.

Darren Yorke of the Carolina Hurricanes is doing a hell of a job and after listening to how he talks about prospects, and how his team has really embraced analytics early, you can see why Carolina has been a team on the rise. I like his philosophy of picking high talent and compete level regardless of draft rank, when explaining the Zion Nybeck and Alexander Pashin picks close in the late rounds. A lot of other teams like to use those picks on big guys with less talent in these rounds, and I think that's a total waste. Hopefully with Yzerman on board we develop a similar philosophy.

Craig Button sounds like a more reasonable and level headed person when on the EP podcast. Why is he such an idiot when on other networks?

Last edited:

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I did a ton of flying and airport lounge sitting yesterday so I got an opportunity to listen to more eliteprospects podcasts.

They love Beniers, and even Craig Button is comparing Beniers to Kesler "without a single elite offensive tool". If memory serves, Kesler didn't really have any elite offensive tools either. Still, he was a Selke caliber 2C.
They believe that Eklund is having a better year this year than Raymond and Holtz were during their draft year and is at the very least a prospect on the same level. The EP team love his two-way play and attention to detail. No mention of him jumping to center, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beniers and Eklund go 2/3 in this year's draft.

EDIT: There was also talk about Simon Edvinsson being a tremendous talent and how he reminds them both of Philip Broberg. This is exactly what I feared and why I want to stay away from him.

I'd like to hear more about some of the CHL guys but I understand that it may take a minute. I think we're all still a little hazy on who are going to be the guys to watch in the late 1st to the 3rd round this year.

Sidenotes:
Mark Yannetti from the LA Kings sounds like a f***ing moron. And looking at the LA Kings draft record from the time he took over as director of amateur scouting makes Tyler Wright look like a stable genius.

Seattle sounds like it's in pretty good hands with Ron Francis and Robert Kron, 2 former Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes. I don't get the feeling they'll build the Vegas way and look to be a competitor ASAP. I think they'll go the more traditional route and look to compete within 3-5 years. Kron was also the head European scout for Carolina for a few years so the Kraken are a team that I think will heavily invest in its international scouting early on.

Darren Yorke of the Carolina Hurricanes is doing a hell of a job and after listening to how he talks about prospects, and how his team has really embraced analytics early, you can see why Carolina has been a team on the rise. I like his philosophy of picking high talent and compete level regardless of draft rank, when explaining the Zion Nybeck and Alexander Pashin picks close in the late rounds. A lot of other teams like to use those picks on big guys with less talent in these rounds, and I think that's a total waste. Hopefully with Yzerman on board we develop a similar philosophy.

Craig Button sounds like a more reasonable and level headed person when on the EP podcast. Why is he such an idiot when on other networks?
Thats exactly how i feel. if we need to fill out the bottom lines with some grinders you can always find those types through college/euro fas. Filling a team up with enough skill is the tougher aspect of building a roster and should always be prioritized thru the draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sidenotes:

I think the Kings have drafted really well over the last 3-4 drafts or so.

I don't always agree, but I like listening to Button and respect his POV.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't always agree, but I like listening to Button and respect his POV.

What I like about Button is that he tries to make very realistic (in a qualitative sense) NHL comparisons. He doesn't compare everyone to the ten best guys in the league. This of course pisses off fans of certain prospects. I also think he is generally more intellectually honest about the challenge and uncertainty of drafting 18-year-old athletes and how scouts think about players than most public scouts.

I don't, however, assign too much importance to his rankings apart from the noted outliers. I don't think he watches enough U18 hockey to truly do it justice as a one man show.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I like his philosophy of picking high talent and compete level regardless of draft rank, when explaining the Zion Nybeck and Alexander Pashin picks close in the late rounds. A lot of other teams like to use those picks on big guys with less talent in these rounds, and I think that's a total waste...

Carolina has been doing really well in the draft for the last couple of years. They have been going for boom/bust picks like Pashin while we went for Draper & Aucoin. I really like Carolina's draft strategy, wish we take notes going for potential in the later rounds.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Carolina has been doing really well in the draft for the last couple of years. They have been going for boom/bust picks like Pashin while we went for Draper & Aucoin. I really like Carolina's draft strategy, wish we take notes going for potential in the later rounds.

Lol... not like we have drafted Kivenmaki or Tyutyayev or anything. Not a single team in the NHL drafts players like that in the 7th round every year.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Carolina is clearly a step above the rest of the league. They’ve nailed so many picks the last decade. Pesce, Slavin, Aho, Foegele, Drury, Geekie, Necas, Jarvis. Plus all the new kids the last year or two. Gotta give credit where it’s due.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Carolina is clearly a step above the rest of the league. They’ve nailed so many picks the last decade. Pesce, Slavin, Aho, Foegele, Drury, Geekie, Necas, Jarvis. Plus all the new kids the last year or two. Gotta give credit where it’s due.

Interesting to see how everything will slowly dry up after Ron Francis left to Seattle.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Thanks, got lazy and decided to ask instead of Goggling it. I live 90 miles north of Seattle.

Then you are in for some good hockey over the next 5 years or so! You're really close to the border. Go see some Canucks games! (When there's no more global pandemic I mean) When I lived in Seattle I used to make the drive for games against Detroit. It's a great arena.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Maybe I just need to watch them more, but I'm having trouble creating any seperation in my rankings this year. Normally there's a few prospects that I watch and think "yeah I totally want him." Last year it was Stutzle, Drysdale and Rains for me.

I rate Power number one but that's almost more out of laziness than anything. He looks good when I see him, but doesn't jump out at me. Luke Hughes looks good, Edvinson looks good. Beniers and Johnson look good. Nobody is becoming my favorite prospect. I feel like I'd be just as happy picking 4th as 1st...

So who is the prospect that jumps out for you and why? Convince me to love someone.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Maybe I just need to watch them more, but I'm having trouble creating any seperation in my rankings this year. Normally there's a few prospects that I watch and think "yeah I totally want him." Last year it was Stutzle, Drysdale and Rains for me.

I rate Power number one but that's almost more out of laziness than anything. He looks good when I see him, but doesn't jump out at me. Luke Hughes looks good, Edvinson looks good. Beniers and Johnson look good. Nobody is becoming my favorite prospect. I feel like I'd be just as happy picking 4th as 1st...

So who is the prospect that jumps out for you and why? Convince me to love someone.

It's 4mounth till draft, it's like you said so many to choose from. Let's wait and see, who is going to step up and separate himself from the rest. We should get that person, no meter position he plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad