E3 is officially dead

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Sad day. I really looked forward to it every year, and Summer Gamesfest kind of sucks. I don’t like the Geoff Keighley seems to control everything now.

I get why it died, but it was always the most exciting week of the year for gaming news.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Easy to say E3 was a huge part of me getting into games as a kid Getting up early and watching the reveals on G4 was like second Christmas

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I liked E3 until i read about all the horror stories of the show runners being elitist pricks. They can now try gatekeeping from their couches.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
The writing was on the wall when Nintendo stopped showing up to it 10 years ago. each year it lost more and more.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sad day. I really looked forward to it every year, and Summer Gamesfest kind of sucks. I don’t like the Geoff Keighley seems to control everything now.

I get why it died, but it was always the most exciting week of the year for gaming news.
I don't think Geoff Keighley controls everything now. It's more the platform holders realized paying for a booth at E3 wasn't worth it to them anymore. It started its death spiral when Sony decided they could do their own shows and get the same amount of eyes on their trailers as before. EA did their own thing for years. Nintendo stopped showing up. The other major thing is, with the growth of the internet, print media like GamePro and other competing magazines stopped going out in full force to do breakdowns of e3 as they themselves were dying and all died before e3 fell apart.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
As a kid I always dreamed of going to E3. Such an amazing event for gamers around the world.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't have the same power it used to have in the age of instant information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad