Evander Kane
Robin Lehner

To Buffalo
Julius Honka
Bret Ritche
Kari Lehtonen
Conditional second round pick in 2019 if Kane is signed

Why Dallas does this .....

1. Dallas could use a scoring winger who can skate fast and be a physical winger who has the skill set to play with the Stars big boys.

2. Honka is a great talent but will never have a chance with the stars because of klingburg.

3. Ritche isn’t much of a loss

4. Kari is a cap dump to make the trade work

Why Buffalo does this .....

1. They get a great young puck moving Dman and a young forward who might put it together with a change of teams and a potential second round pick.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stars fan here. I don't mind this offer. Tough to give up Honka, but it's a nice return and would definitely allow us a good playoff push. Also, if we resigned Kane our top 6 next year would be:

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Kane-Spezza-Nichushkin

Only thing that concerns me is Kane's reputation and behavior issues.

I also would like to say, thank you for not including our 1st round pick this year or Miro Heiskanen lol. Hate having to constantly tell people neither is available

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Lehner is better and cheaper than Kari ..

It means Kane for Honka, Ritchie, conditional 2nd and goaltender upgrade?

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
Lehner is better and cheaper than Kari ..

It means Kane for Honka, Ritchie, conditional 2nd and goaltender upgrade?
The trade only works cap wise if Kari is in the deal and they need a reliable back up goalie if bishop gets hurt in the playoffs

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I haven't watched Honka enough to say yes or no to this. Could he play in a top 4 role next year?

What are his traits?
We need a fast defenseman with great puck skills.

When Ghule was called up we looked like a different team with him on the ice since we suddently had one more option on offense as well a someone with speed to carry the puck into the attacking zone.
That kind of player would certainly warrant to give upp the equalient of 1st+2nd+prospect.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not a big fan of Ritchie, Honka has the upside, Lehtonen is cap dump with negative value. I do this if the conditional was for a 1st as otherwise I see it as possibly losing Kane with extension and Lehner for Honka, a bottom 6F and a 2nd, which is not particularly great return if Kane re-signs in Dallas.

My counter offer would be the following:

To Dallas
-Evander Kane (50%)
-Robin Lehner

To Buffalo
-Julius Honka
-Brett Ritchie
-Kari Lehtonen
-Conditional first round pick in 2019 if Kane is signed
-Conditional second round pick in 2019 if Dallas wins the cup and both Lehner and Kane play at least 4 or more playoff games.

Yes, Dallas potentially loses two picks and a fairly decent prospect but that only happens if they re-sign a power forward in his prime and they have another cup to their name with at least some contribution from both Lehner and Kane in the playoffs.

Oh and you can have Bealieu for free if you want him as you are losing a defender because I don't really want him on my team.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Why do we need more offense when we are almost top 10 in the league in scoring? It especially makes it painful to give up defense when that is where we are trying to improve.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Why do we need more offense when we are almost top 10 in the league in scoring? It especially makes it painful to give up defense when that is where we are trying to improve.
That is such a flawed argument. Since when does "almost top 10 in scoring" mean that you cant improve at the deadline?

I still think Honka would be a tough sell as a piece for a rental though. I get that he's somewhat redundant with Klingberg on the team already, but I dont think giving a piece like that away for a rental is smart

Reactions: Kcb12345

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
That is such a flawed argument. Since when does "almost top 10 in scoring" mean that you cant improve at the deadline?

I still think Honka would be a tough sell as a piece for a rental though. I get that he's somewhat redundant with Klingberg on the team already, but I dont think giving a piece like that away for a rental is smart
Don't see how it is a flawed argument when we have more than enough firepower up and down our lineup. Giving up Honka when our defense outside of Klingberg/Lindell and maybe Johns are average at best is a step backwards. If we do go after a forward or two i would rather have Maroon who will cost far less, provides scoring depth and is a physical presence.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Add a 1st

Kane = 1st, Honka, Lehtonen (negative value)
Lehner = Ritchie

Conditional 2nd if Kane re-signs

Buffalo can likely retain salary to make it better for Dallas

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I haven't watched Honka enough to say yes or no to this. Could he play in a top 4 role next year?

What are his traits?
We need a fast defenseman with great puck skills.

Honka will be a top 4, if not next year, then the year after.

His traits? He is a fast defenseman with great puck skills. Maybe a little light on his D, but solid in positioning and on his skates.

For some reason, despite him being clearly better than Oleksiak, Hitch made him pay his dues by sitting. After a while, he played him more, and Nill traded Olesiak to PIT, stating the coaching staff had made up their mind who was their top six.

Still, because of Hitch's D emphasis, Honka is third pair with Johns, although our top 4 our playing pretty well, so that is probably justified right now.

Would be a good deal for BUF. Not so much for Stars.

As to Honka, they still think he is a core piece, and have recently traded 2 D. Hamuis will be a UFA at the end of the year. We wouldn't give away talented bodies.

I think Ritchie still has bust out potential, and if we had enough RW to finish this year (Nuke, Gurionav and others on the way next year) could be had.

Lehrner for Leths is fair enough, but I think the Stars like Kari, and will re-sign him cheaper for 2 years next year.

That said, I read on THN or somewhere that they expected about a mid first to be the market for Kane, given his past and his UFA rental status. Personally, I think its an over pay by Dallas. Stars are giving up a net of 3 good assets for a good rental, and need RW more than LW.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I believe the Stars need another good, top-six forward but I just don't know that Evander Kane is worth the risk. I think the Stars could package those assets — and they're good assets — elsewhere for a player that would provide fewer headaches.

Lehtonen has also played better this year and there's a lot of talk about him re-signing next summer for a more team-friendly deal. Not sure the Stars need to trade up.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Add a 1st

Kane = 1st, Honka, Lehtonen (negative value)
Lehner = Ritchie

Conditional 2nd if Kane re-signs

Buffalo can likely retain salary to make it better for Dallas
Lehtonen is a minimal negative. There's cap to fit him and he's gone at the end of the season. Agree to want a 1st but I'd be willing to send more back to the Stars to balance it out. Lehtonen doesn't cost the Sabres so much to warrant moving from a second to a first.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Honka is the only serviceable piece in the proposal. So at the moment this is an easy "No". Ritchie hasn't done anything to prove that he's even a worthy third piece. He's basically Marcus Foligno. Lehner is an upgrade over Lehtonen. A conditional 2nd. HAH!

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I would love an additional scoring winger but I am not down to trade Honka to get him. Honka "not having a chance" because of Klingberg is just dumb. They play very different and having them as your 1-2 RD is more than ok.

This trade makes us better this season because Hitch doesnt want to play Honka despite him regularly looking very good in the 12 minutes Hitch gives him but it creates a hole down the line. I would rather have a hole at 2RW than I would at 2RD.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
you know, Hitchcock might just be a smart enough coach to know to stick that guy on his third line.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The NHL would be overflowing with Top 4 defensemen if even 50% of the time an HF poster said this about a defensemen, it turned out to be true.

:laugh:
yah maybe thats why buffalo doesn't have any top-4 dman, besides risto and scandella

:laugh:

i'm a leafs fan, our defense sucks too dw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad