Dynasty Reset

Should my dynasty league reset before or after a back to back champ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Connor McBaevid

Nov 25, 2015
Calgary
Edit: Oh no. I botched the question. It should read "should we establish the rule before or after a back to back championship happens"

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is breaking any rules. I'm trying to decide something within one of my leagues.

We're currently having a debate and I think it's a no brainer but the commissioner is on the other side. Our dynasty league has a 20 person roster and we keep 15 from year to year. We are exploring the possibility of doing a full reset and redraft if there is a 2x or 3x champ. That's not the main issue.

The issue: One party wants to vote now to determine if this is the rule going forward right now. The other party wants the vote to happen after there is a repeat champ, with a 7/10 majority or higher.

Which makes the most sense?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Edit: Oh no. I botched the question. It should read "should we establish the rule before or after a back to back championship happens"

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is breaking any rules. I'm trying to decide something within one of my leagues.

We're currently having a debate and I think it's a no brainer but the commissioner is on the other side. Our dynasty league has a 20 person roster and we keep 15 from year to year. We are exploring the possibility of doing a full reset and redraft if there is a 2x or 3x champ. That's not the main issue.

The issue: One party wants to vote now to determine if this is the rule going forward right now. The other party wants the vote to happen after there is a repeat champ, with a 7/10 majority or higher.

Generally I am not in favor of changing rules mid-season. I believe any rule change that occurs should ALWAYS be voted on during the off-season.

I think 3x repeat would be a reasonable re-set point, but back to back just seems too hasty to re-set the league.

Connor McBaevid

Nov 25, 2015
Calgary
Generally I am not in favor of changing rules mid-season. I believe any rule change that occurs should ALWAYS be voted on during the off-season.

I think 3x repeat would be a reasonable re-set point, but back to back just seems too hasty to re-set the league.
Thanks for weighing in but that's not quite what I'm asking.

I'm not asking whether or not the rule should be in place. I think it's telling that people don't even understand the question. The rule is more or less implemented but we are debating whether or not it's 2x or 3x.

I'm asking whether or not we vote this week on a permanent rule to reset being implemented for every time X happens OR have a vote after the season every time X happens

My stance is that it's either a good rule or it isn't. The rule coming and going depending how people feel about their team at the end of the season does not sit right with me.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for weighing in but that's not quite what I'm asking.

I'm not asking whether or not the rule should be in place. I think it's telling that people don't even understand the question. The rule is more or less implemented but we are debating whether or not it's 2x or 3x.

I'm asking whether or not we vote this week on a permanent rule to reset being implemented for every time X happens OR have a vote after the season every time X happens

My stance is that it's either a good rule or it isn't. The rule coming and going depending how people feel about their team at the end of the season does not sit right with me.
I gotta say man, that's kind of confusing, but I think I understand now.

If I'm understanding it properly, I would say I think it should be a hard rule that when a 3x champion happens the league resets.

I agree with you about not being in favor of having a vote after the season where people are voting based off of their feeling about their team at that current moment.

Is your league currently in a situation where there's a potential 3x winner at the end of this season?

Connor McBaevid

Nov 25, 2015
Calgary
I gotta say man, that's kind of confusing, but I think I understand now.

If I'm understanding it properly, I would say I think it should be a hard rule that when a 3x champion happens the league resets.

I agree with you about not being in favor of having a vote after the season where people are voting based off of their feeling about their team at that current moment.

Is your league currently in a situation where there's a potential 3x winner at the end of this season?
Haha, ya I'm sorry for making it confusing. It's quite the situation we are in.

Yes, that's how I feel. I don't think it should be a fluid situation. Either it's an agreed upon rule or it isnt.

Nope, not right now. The champ from last year is in first with another strong team but we've been chatting about this since 2018. We thought it was settled but it came up again. It's going to be messy but I'm sure we'll work through it.

Thanks again for the weighing in

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Haha, ya I'm sorry for making it confusing. It's quite the situation we are in.

Yes, that's how I feel. I don't think it should be a fluid situation. Either it's an agreed upon rule or it isnt.

Nope, not right now. The champ from last year is in first with another strong team but we've been chatting about this since 2018. We thought it was settled but it came up again. It's going to be messy but I'm sure we'll work through it.

Thanks again for the weighing in
Sure thing. I absolutely agree the rule needs to be there or not, not fluid.

Reactions: Connor McBaevid

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Hey guys,

My first thought is to ask what do you think the most fundamental issue with the league is?

Is it:

a) Back to back repeat champion is bad/shouldn’t happen, or
b) The dynasty keeper rules in the league have weaknesses making a repeat champion more likely?

If you keep the same rules and reset the league what changed to reduce the odds of a back to back champion happening again next the two seasons after the reset?

You didn’t explain your keeper rules, but my instinct would be to examine those first for adjustments then decide if a reset should accompany any changes.

Connor McBaevid

Nov 25, 2015
Calgary
My first thought is to ask what do you think the most fundamental issue with the league is?

Is it:

a) Back to back repeat champion is bad/shouldn’t happen, or
b) The dynasty keeper rules in the league have weaknesses making a repeat champion more likely?

If you keep the same rules and reset the league what changed to reduce the odds of a back to back champion happening again next the two seasons after the reset?

You didn’t explain your keeper rules, but my instinct would be to examine those first for adjustments then decide if a reset should accompany any changes.
Sorry, I missed this one. Thanks for the input.

We each have 20 players and we keep 15/20 every year. There is no fundamental issue with the league in my opinion.
1) I have no problem with a b2b champion happening and
2) The fact that it's a dynasty league means it'll be more likely that a strong team will stay strong. That's not a weakness, it's a feature. The goal is not to prevent back to back champs. It's to reset so that the teams that are losing year over year get to start over. It would recreate balance after someone has elevated themselves.

I'm on the fence whether or not I want a reset, but that is not what I'm asking. The only issue to me is that the commissioner is not allowing us to establish whether or not there will be a reset until after a back to back champion is crowned. He wants that event to trigger a vote every time it happens. So we don't even know what will happen if the champ from last year wins this year. In my opinion, that's a ridiculous situation to put everyone in the league in. We should establish what will happen so that there are no surprises when it happens. Anybody who is hoping for the vote to go one way before it goes the other will be disappointed. The good teams will likely vote to keep the teams. The bad teams will vote to reset.

My question is should we vote now and establish whether we reset or not, or vote every time a back to back champ is crowned.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00