Salary Cap: Dylan McIlrath

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Someone brought up skating as it applies to a game -decision making, etc. He said he was talking strictly about skating. Just trying to clarify if he meant game skating...do not want to assume.

You misunderstood what I believe BRF said. He said that while McI skating is good for someone his size, about as good as anyone his size in the NHL, his decision making defensively is what will keep him from the NHL currently, not his skating.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If you can determine how his skating vs. junior and minor league players will translate well to the speed of the NHL, you should get off these boards and get yourself a scouting job.

Nice job chopping that poster down. Who do they think they are answering questions and offering their opinions?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If you can determine how his skating vs. junior and minor league players will translate well to the speed of the NHL, you should get off these boards and get yourself a scouting job.

Yeah, god forbid someone make an opinion based on observations.

They should just watch two games and base all their assumptions from that.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I love watching how these conversations progress:

"He is a poor skater."

"He is not a poor skater."

"How do you know he is not a poor skater???"

"I have seen him play. Many times."

"Against minor leaguers!"

"They skate in the minor leagues too. There are very fast players at every level."

"But does his brain have the power to comprehend the game and as such make his legs go in the direction needed at the speed you claim he has?"

"Huh? Are we talking about hockey sense or are we talking about skating, which is basically just speed and balance, and is probably the easiest thing to judge?"

"Exactly. I am glad we agree his hockey sense is awful. I would also like to point out that we have yet to see his speed at the NHL level, therefore it is possible it does not exist at all. Also, McIlrath may not even have feet."

These conversations always start in one direction, usually by someone who has seen McIlrath play once, and then the starter issue gets tossed around until inevitably settling back towards the safety of the "he's a big dumb goon" issue.

Always a delightful read.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

"He is a poor skater."

"They skate in the minor leagues too. There are very fast players at every level."

"But does his brain have the power to comprehend the game and as such make his legs go in the direction needed at the speed you claim he has?"

"Huh? Are we talking about hockey sense or are we talking about skating, which is basically just speed and balance, and is probably the easiest thing to judge?"

"Exactly. I am glad we agree his hockey sense is awful. I would also like to point out that we have yet to see his speed at the NHL level, therefore it is possible it does not exist at all. Also, McIlrath may not even have feet."

These conversations always start in one direction, usually by someone who has seen McIlrath play once, and then the starter issue gets tossed around until inevitably settling back towards the safety of the "he's a big dumb goon" issue.

Sir, your post is a bunch of bunk. Nowhere in it do you mention how fast Tarasenko and Fowler are in relation to that sloth McIlrath.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nice job chopping that poster down. Who do they think they are answering questions and offering their opinions?

What makes this funny is if his observations and opinions bashed McIlrath, you'd almost certainly be on the attack. Hypocritical much?

99% of the posters here that assess minor league talent are talking out of their ass anyway. The one I quoted included.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Sir, your post is a bunch of bunk. Nowhere in it do you mention how fast Tarasenko and Fowler are in relation to that sloth McIlrath.

But we don't need Fowler when Del Zotto is available.

Personally I had hoped that we'd be able to add Jack Campbell to the system, but I seldom get what I want.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

"He is a poor skater."

LOL, thats hilarious. i agree, thats pretty much the way this thread has gone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Pretty sure he just has two fists for feet.

Because #tuffness.

Oh that explains it. I heard Mcilrath lost a race last month to Brad Richards and Richards gave him a half the rink head start.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
What makes this funny is if his observations and opinions bashed McIlrath, you'd almost certainly be on the attack. Hypocritical much?

99% of the posters here that assess minor league talent are talking out of their ass anyway. The one I quoted included.

Yea. Much better to judge minor league talent based on the two games they played in the nhl.

Of course if we were listing people who talk out of their ass you would be right at the top

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Don't you think that Clark and Gorton wouldn't comment so highly on McIlrath when given the chance as they do if they thought there was still a chance he could bust? I would think they would be more wishy washy in their answers.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yea. Much better to judge minor league talent based on the two games they played in the nhl.

Of course if we were listing people who talk out of their ass you would be right at the top

Im not judging or evaluating his talent. Im skeptical. Theres a major difference.

Theres an even bigger difference compared to those that fancy themselves as certified minor league talent scouts whose opinions should be taken seriously on the subject.

I saw McIlrath play 2 regular season NHL games in my life. He looked poor in both. I haven't extrapolated based on that. I haven't made excuses for him like so many here. We'll see what happens.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Don't you think that Clark and Gorton wouldn't comment so highly on McIlrath when given the chance as they do if they thought there was still a chance he could bust? I would think they would be more wishy washy in their answers.

Pumping the tires on prospects is part of their job description, no matter what they might actually think.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

They pimp most of our prospects like they're future stars. It's part of their job.

That being said, McIlrath has progressed well. Especially when you consider the knee injury. I've seen noticeable improvements in all areas of his game.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

Could be the Yankee thing, where they pump up their prospects non-stop in case they need to increase their trade value.

I'm still rooting for him to make an impact - this year, next year, whatever.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

If you can't do that, you should get off these boards and learn to skate.

Because if you know how to skate and can roughly measure speed you can measure a player's stride and their speed.

It's not rocket surgery, but that's why I'm a doctor, I guess.

Don't worry. His response just showed that he knows not what he speaks of.

BRB logic -- "When someone disagrees with me, insult them because I can't dispute what they said."

I'd have a much easier time on here if I employed the same logic, but I'd normally rather debate the substance of the matter.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If you can't do that, you should get off these boards and learn to skate.

Because if you know how to skate and can roughly measure speed you can measure a player's stride and their speed.

It's not rocket surgery, but that's why I'm a doctor, I guess.

Don't worry. His response just showed that he knows not what he speaks of.

BRB logic -- "When someone disagrees with me, insult them because I can't dispute what they said."

I'd have a much easier time on here if I employed the same logic, but I'd normally rather debate the substance of the matter.

Perhaps you should try rocket science, or brain surgery - rocket surgery sounds tough.

I seem to be one of the few that has the ability to admit I dont have time to watch minor leaguers, and Ill wait until they're in the NHL to formulate an opinion (if they make it that far). I suppose the wonderful thing about positioning yourself as a faux expert is that if McIlrath busts, you'll be on to praising the speed of the next prospect.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Perhaps you should try rocket science, or brain surgery - rocket surgery sounds tough.

Wait, you've never heard of the phrase "rocket surgery?" Dear Lord.

I seem to be one of the few that has the ability to admit I dont have time to watch minor leaguers, and Ill wait until they're in the NHL to formulate an opinion (if they make it that far).

So your basic point is that since you've never seen them (and admit you haven't), then no one else here has seen them and everyone here is a liar.

Well, that's some awesome leap in logic.

I suppose the wonderful thing about positioning yourself as a faux expert is that if McIlrath busts, you'll be on to praising the speed of the next prospect.

I've been wrong many times and have fully admitted to being wrong many times. It's the nature of player evaluation.

This "since I didn't see him play, no one has" viewpoint of yours is hysterical. I mean, by all means -- continue on with the absurdities if you wish since it's quite fun to watch.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some people are just inherently negative about everything. If BRB wants to be a Negative Nancy about everything all the time, let him and just ignore it.

FWIW, I have watched McIlrath extensively over the past three years. I like how he's developing and I'm bullish on his chances as an NHL player. I'm not a professional by any stretch, but I think I have a pretty decent eye for an amateur/hobbyist. Again, FWIW.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Some people are just inherently negative about everything. If BRB wants to be a Negative Nancy about everything all the time, let him and just ignore it.

FWIW, I have watched McIlrath extensively over the past three years. I like how he's developing and I'm bullish on his chances as an NHL player. I'm not a professional by any stretch, but I think I have a pretty decent eye for an amateur/hobbyist. Again, FWIW.

I have no issue with him being negative. Plenty of people are negative about any random thing. I have a major issue with him essentially questioning my truthfulness on the matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad