Waived: Dylan McIlrath (UPDATE: Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
Jooris can go to IR with a separated shoulder and you stay at 23 guys. I don't get what the point is here unless they are trying to do right by him and give him a shot to catch on elsewhere. Really poor asset management, really hope he doesnt come back to give this team fits for years down the line.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
As much as many fans love McIlrath, his style of play isn't conducive to the style that current winning NHL teams employ. He was drafted at a different time when the big, bruising dman was still a thing.

Try and relax, Gorton is trying to get puck moving defenseman with offensive upside (Trouba) here, and if he does NO one will be missing a Dylan McIlrath.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Jooris can go to IR with a separated shoulder and you stay at 23 guys. I don't get what the point is here unless they are trying to do right by him and give him a shot to catch on elsewhere. Really poor asset management, really hope he doesnt come back to give this team fits for years down the line.

He certainly will if he goes to a team in the east.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
at a certain point, isn't ANYTHING better than nothing?

Way worse players have gotten at least somthing. Your telling me he isn't work a 5th round draft pick?

Agreed that something is better than nothing. But maybe nobody offered anything? Or perhaps they deemed the chance of keeping him worth more than whatever was offered?

Though if the latter was the case, then why not simply keep him on the roster and put Jooris on IR?

Do they need the cap space for something...?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

I suppose this could be the case as well. Rangers management has a history of doing right by players, no? One of the things that makes NY a desirable destination for FAs.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It does, they go based off of last year's records.

So Winnipeg is what, 6th?

Yup, got to think Toronto or Edmonton pick him up.

McIlrath is far better than Gryba. Nurse-McIlrath pairing would be nasty, both big guys that move well.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
As much as many fans love McIlrath, his style of play isn't conducive to the style that current winning NHL teams employ. He was drafted at a different time when the big, bruising dman was still a thing.

Try and relax, Gorton is trying to get puck moving defenseman with offensive upside (Trouba) here, and if he does NO one will be missing a Dylan McIlrath.

This argument falls on deaf ears when this team has Girardi, Staal and trade for Holden. McIlrath showed that hes got enough ability with the puck on his stick last season to play in the NHL.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

I understand what you're saying here, but during his stretch last season during Kleins injury, he proved that if given a chance to play every night and get into a groove, he is absolutely a top 6 NHL D-man. He proved it.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Way worse players have gotten at least somthing. Your telling me he isn't work a 5th round draft pick?

Nail Yakupov left Edmonton for a third as a 1st overall pick in an awful situation. Adam Clendening was with five teams last year. It's just a hard business when you're on the fringe of the NHL.

Maybe expansion will make it better but it will probably just move the line down a little.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I understand what you're saying here, but during his stretch last season during Kleins injury, he proved that if given a chance to play every night and get into a groove, he is absolutely a top 6 NHL D-man. He proved it.

He showed promise, but the brass knows what he is capable of long term, and that doesn't fit into the team Gorton wants to build. It sucks because he's a great kid who battled injuries, but his overall game just isn't fit for the direction they want to move.

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
Or it was drafting McIlrath in the first place.

Part of it. Draft a player you overvalue, give him 6 years to develop, then DON'T give him a chance, lose him for nothing.

Next step will be watching him develop into a Top 4 Dman somewhere else.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ah yes, I can picture Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Vesey, Nash, and Miller all turning him inside out even now...

Yeah.

I can picture McIlrath knowing the Rangers strength is streaking wingers, and executing a perfectly timed body-check to break that play up immediately.

This game is fun.

This dude got turned "inside out" so many times last season, it really affected the amount of goals and shots the Rangers gave up with him on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad