Injury Report: Dylan McIlrath (1/6: Skated without problem )

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Good goalies don't grow on trees. Potentially great ones (and Blackburn was every bit of that) are rare. I'd say we could have put some deal together for a very high draft pick at minimum.

Teams rebuild form the goal tender out most of the time so I think that's not a stretch.

The thing is Blackburn was wowing so many of the commentators, pundits and vets. I can't be sure Hank would not have been the one delt.

It just goes to show that even a franchise as pathetic as the Rangers can draft and develop top end top talent.

Neither Danny's or Hank's or success had anythign to do with the Rangers.

Danny came in as a teenager and made the team. Played for the Rangers, not in the system. There was no developing by the team with him.

Same goes for Hank. He tore up the SEL and came over, sat for 30 games and took over the starting job when Weeks went down. All of Hanks development can be attributed to the folks at Frolunda (Junior squad and Pro team)

Rangers get credit for his development much in the same way Sather gets credit for the actual pick considering he took the GM job a week before the draft.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Yep. Imagine if we had both of them. Man alive. We could have gotten a king's ransom for one of the two.

I wonder which one they would have kept. Has to be Blackburn. Cigar likes to toot his own horn and Blackie O was more of a slats pick.

Also picked that year was Marek Zidlicky, who sather cried "ask for too much money!" :propeller

Neither Danny's or Hank's or success had anythign to do with the Rangers.

Danny came in as a teenager and made the team. Played for the Rangers, not in the system. There was no developing by the team with him.

Same goes for Hank. He tore up the SEL and came over, sat for 30 games and took over the starting job when Weeks went down. All of Hanks development can be attributed to the folks at Frolunda (Junior squad and Pro team)

Rangers get credit for his development much in the same way Sather gets credit for the actual pick considering he took the GM job a week before the draft.

Good point, both were pretty talented by the time they competed in the big league, the Rangers had no choice but to play them cause they were earning their way almost immediately. And Danny played behind some god awful defenses and made alot of great stops, especially in those Montreal games.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
He was helped off the ice favoring his knee badly. . If he is hurt seriously i want AV.and Sather both fired

That's funny, because I wanted Sather fired for plenty of other reasons over the last 14 years. In fact, drafting McIlrath to begin with was one of them. . .

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I wonder which one they would have kept. Has to be Blackburn. Cigar likes to toot his own horn and Blackie O was more of a slats pick.

Also picked that year was Marek Zidlicky, who sather cried "ask for too much money!" :propeller

Zids thing still pisses me off. What a moronic move to get rid of him.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Hes damaged goods already.

Forget him. His knee will dog him his whole career. ...

Hey at least the garden looks good.

Sign Phaneuf

Does anyone seriously think he's a future top 4 Defenseman? He's a tough guy Matt Carkner type and nothing more.

RangersHank*

Does anyone seriously think he's a future top 4 Defenseman? He's a tough guy Matt Carkner type and nothing more.

I cant see him in the top 4 to be honest. Idk anymore, i could be wrong but idk. I dont wanna think of it because i'll get annoyed.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
That's funny, because I wanted Sather fired for plenty of other reasons over the last 14 years. In fact, drafting McIlrath to begin with was one of them. . .

Of course you hated the pick let me guess you wanted a 5ft 8 speedy Swede center? Who cares we both agree Sather is 4 yrs past his use and should be long gone

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Maybe you should watch him play, because you quite clearly don't.

Hopefully this injury doesn't servile development back. He was coming along extremely well before it, doesn't seem to be too serious, either. Hoping for some good news soon.

sousuffer

May 3, 2007
Was Blackburn really that good? I didn't really follow hockey back then.

I personally didn't think too highly of Blackburn. I felt like he was very flawed - I felt side-to-side he was sluggish...he also had a weak glove. Positionally he was decent, but he never came across to me as a world-beater. When I saw Hank play, you just knew he was more talented. I feel Blackburn gets overrated because of the unfortunate injury - almost similar to the same way Cherepanov went from "high upside, poor work ethic, high-risk prospect" before his death to "he was a lock to be a top NHL star for years" afterwards. We fantasize optimistically about what could have been for those who aren't fortunate enough to write their whole story.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I personally didn't think too highly of Blackburn. I felt like he was very flawed - I felt side-to-side he was sluggish...he also had a weak glove. Positionally he was decent, but he never came across to me as a world-beater. When I saw Hank play, you just knew he was more talented. I feel Blackburn gets overrated because of the unfortunate injury - almost similar to the same way Cherepanov went from "high upside, poor work ethic, high-risk prospect" before his death to "he was a lock to be a top NHL star for years" afterwards. We fantasize optimistically about what could have been for those who aren't fortunate enough to write their whole story.

I'm not sure if you're are thinking of the right Dan Blackburn… his lateral movement and glove hand were two absolute strengths of his… I also remembering him handling the puck fairly well, although maybe that's just because he followed Richter who was terrible at it ;-)

RangersHank*

A few rangers fan told me that Blackburn would have been very good

Colt Seavers

Feb 1, 2009
Toronto
Of course you hated the pick let me guess you wanted a 5ft 8 speedy Swede center? Who cares we both agree Sather is 4 yrs past his use and should be long gone

That U.S. defenseman...stands about 6 foot 1...200 lbs. What's his name? Fowler something? Oh yeah, Cam Fowler. The guy that Gordie Clark apparently loved but somehow...someway, was bypassed for Dylan McIlrath. Obviously, I hope Dylan has a long, successful career - but Cam Fowler, was.right.there.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
That U.S. defenseman...stands about 6 foot 1...200 lbs. What's his name? Fowler something? Oh yeah, Cam Fowler. The guy that Gordie Clark apparently loved but somehow...someway, was bypassed for Dylan McIlrath. Obviously, I hope Dylan has a long, successful career - but Cam Fowler, was.right.there.

Cam Fowler is -49 in his NHL career. As a basis of comparison, Del Zotto is -8.

RangersHank*

I actually thought we were gonna draft him but then we drafted McIlrath and the old rangers board didnt really know who he was

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Guess Dylan just isn't instant gratification enough for some people.

Look at Forbort, he's even further away than Mcilrath.

Bardof425*

Yes. +/-.
And if we care to go by that messy stat, than we should also note that he's a +8 this year while averaging 24 minutes per game.

+8 on maybe the best team in the league isn't that great; at all. He can skate. Otherwise he's nothing special.

Colt Seavers

Feb 1, 2009
Toronto
Guess Dylan just isn't instant gratification enough for some people.

Look at Forbort, he's even further away than Mcilrath.

Like I said, I hope Dylan has a long, great run with this team. He has undeniable & valuable tools that will hopefully give him success. I do worry about his health but want nothing but the best for him. A question was posed & I responded. I would've preferred to see a different player chosen & nothing has really changed that opinion. The McIlrath selection was mystifying. It's all a moot point, I fully acknowledge - but again, the question was asked. Has nothing to do w/ 'instant gratification'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad