Dylan Larkin looks good so far

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm very proud of the forward steps Larkin has taken this season. Last year was the bounce back from his sophomore slump, this year he has emerged as the legitimate leader on this team. I say they should just put the C on his chest already, the kid deserves it. He's a great leader, works very hard, great all round skills, top line offense, great two way game, tremendous speed and skating ability, clutch, and has a great attitude, not sure what more you can ask for.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm very proud of the forward steps Larkin has taken this season. Last year was the bounce back from his sophomore slump, this year he has emerged as the legitimate leader on this team. I say they should just put the C on his chest already, the kid deserves it. He's a great leader, works very hard, great all round skills, top line offense, great two way game, tremendous speed and skating ability, clutch, and has a great attitude, not sure what more you can ask for.

They are waiting for Yzerman to give him the C.

Reactions: Flowah

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
as TZE alluded to in the gdt, this goal does remind you of mcdavid

That was @TheMule93 in the GDT. It was impressive.

I can honestly say McDavid is in another tier from his peers in my opinion. I was wrong when I used to try to put Eichel in his tier, I used to think he would have contemporaries. He isn't going to have any. He is the first guy since Lindros that has legitimate Mount Rushmore capabilities. McDavid reminds me of how when I was a very young fan and Super Mario and the Great One were still at an elite level, because he has a different feel. Not a forced narrative to it either like Crosby. Just my opinion. But McDavid is that good, I think he is the unquestioned best player in this league for the next decade. He is faster than Larkin, heck I think he is faster with the puck than anybody else is in the league without it even.

One of the things that makes you like Larkin so much is he looks like he is playing his *** off every second of the game. He works, his stride is violent, the way he battles at time looks weird but he comes up with the puck and the plays.

Honestly AA is more similar to McDavid in terms of his ability to make smooth offensive puck handling plays at an incredible rate of speed. Larkin's game is more two-way industrious for me. While yes he flashes these high level moves from time to time, it isn't what I like most about him. Not a shot at Dylan Larkin. I am just sold on McDavid I don't really like using him as a comparison, he is unreal.

Again from the GDT I don't really want to limit what Larkin can become, but Hart Trophy guy would be pretty shocking. Of the fast guys MacKinnon (who should have a hart trophy) is hopefully his target and Larkin seemed to indicate that this off-season. I hope he gets a little stronger on his skates this off-season like MacKinnon is. McDavid is generational for a reason, I see it. I think I have watched 25 Oilers games this year and they are a dumpster fire, but man he amazes me and keeps me turning on Oilers games. A superlative talent, the league is lucky to have him. Hopefully Chia's successor does a better job of putting talent around him.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But McDavid is that good, I think he is the unquestioned best player in this league for the next decade. He is faster than Larkin, heck I think he is faster with the puck than anybody else is in the league without it even.

Watched the Oilers yesterday and even though they did win 7-2, still they are using McDavid very poorly, or, the guy has super bad habits. He is so fast that no linemate can stay with him, makes 99% sure and easy control entry, then stupid pass behind towards point for wood-haded defencemen on low-danger sector. And the play dies there.

That stupid play to leave puck behind him for worse players negates all the advantages of his super control-entry abilities. He should just drive on the net, shoot or fakeshoot and then do a behind-pass on the HD sector. That would be something.

Trading Taylor Hall was ultimate stupid move. He would have had the speed to play with McDavid. They would have been ultimate modern dynamite dynamic duo together, when no defence can match with their speed. Then pass to each other, and kill defences. Chiarelli just f***ed it up.

I could see that yamamoto is the guy who finally works with McDavid. He is their fastest young winger.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
as TZE alluded to in the gdt, this goal does remind you of mcdavid

In last night's game vs. Calgary Kelley Hrudey made that same comparison, footnoting that Larkin is not as good as McDavid, but the way he played reminded him of CMD. I thought, "hey someone on the forum made that same comparison!"
I need to watch more Oilers games now.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
In last night's game vs. Calgary Kelley Hrudey made that same comparison, footnoting that Larkin is not as good as McDavid, but the way he played reminded him of CMD. I thought, "hey someone on the forum made that same comparison!"
I need to watch more Oilers games now.
I thought yesterday was maybe Larkin's best game ever. He looked totally dominant out there. McDavid is the best player in the world and comparing anyone to him is unfair, but on days like yesterday Larkin really does resemble him. He controlled the puck and play every time he stepped onto the ice. It was marvelous to watch.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I thought yesterday was maybe Larkin's best game ever. He looked totally dominant out there. McDavid is the best player in the world and comparing anyone to him is unfair, but on days like yesterday Larkin really does resemble him. He controlled the puck and play every time he stepped onto the ice. It was marvelous to watch.

For me, he was the best player on the ice all game long. Johnny Gaudreau looked good and consistently dangerous but Larkin looked better last night. The SN broadcast pair could not stop raving. Yea, it was about as good as I've seen him, though he did have a short stretch earlier this year where he was pretty dominant as well.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Larkin with confidence is a very scary player.

I give props to Nyquist and Bertuzzi too. They kept up with him all game and ultimately created Larkin's 2nd goal.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
yeah early on this season I questioned his ability to be an elite 1C but he has just kept on ascending. He's playing elite right now. Sure theres some things that can be improved (reducing penalties, finding consistency on the PP) but you cant ask for much more. Hell this is similar impact to what Datsyuk and Zetterberg had for us. If he had another elite player to play with he'd be well above a PPG right now.

Last night truly was the best game ive ever watched him play. When hes playing with such confidence he really reminds you of McDavid.

Reactions: mantha39

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
whats he at now percentage wise?

in 14-15, his rookie season, he was hovering at ~41% although didnt take as many because mostly played wing

in his second struggling sophomore season with more time at center he was at ~45%

last season at full time center he improved to ~50%

This season he jumped another 5% and is now at ~55%

This means that in another 9 seasons he should be close to 100% in the faceoff circle, which will be nice.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Easily. If he hits 60 points while continuing to play defense, I'd be very surprised if it's less than $7M AAV, for at least 5 years. Does anybody have recent comparables handy?

looking back, its crazy that he got 6.1/year

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He'll most likely get the full 8 years, but I don't want to see anything over 5. Once Z retires and our aging depth gets worse, I worry Larkin will regress due to over exposure. I'd feel much better about a really long term deal if we had more high level prospects, but we don't really have any.

It's crazy how wrong everyone on this message board has been about Larkin. Not even calling you out specifically (just using your post as an example).... we've all underestimated him and how much room he had to grow. He's only gotten better without Z.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad