DVHL preliminary re-rates

to be honest, I'm happy for an inquest into DF, IT ratings etc. but given the mass of work its going to be fairly intensive. I don't see a lot of extreme ratings that are a mile out of whack other than those two categories, but those will just be the focus of challenges. 2/3 of those ratings on my team are fairly accurate anyway...there's just a few stand out cases that are wrong. And if we leave it alone, the Tom Preissing's of this world will still be overly hihg, but looking at that chart, those are fe and far between.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
to be honest, I'm happy for an inquest into DF, IT ratings etc. but given the mass of work its going to be fairly intensive. I don't see a lot of extreme ratings that are a mile out of whack other than those two categories

Ah, but that's the beauty of the Ohio Distribution (TM)... all you need to do is take the existing ranking from the DVHL stats and redistribute based on a proper normal distribution... The question becomes are we really happy with the ranking of defencemen DF per DVHL?

edit: For everyone's reference there are only 3 defencemen with +80DF... Volochenkov, Lidstrom and Preissing... Nothing again Volochenkov or Preissing but it's rather strange that those two share this honor with someone like Lidstrom...

Last edited:

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
I guess an inflated +/- stat the previous season will do that.

As a Sens fan...I saw this guy play just about every night. His high +/- was just the fact that he played against the lower lines of the opposition and...well...the Sens just RAWK! :)

We could redo the DF rating based on a modified +/- rating (remove all even strength points). Also, we could add in the TOI as well as the SH TOI since a top 4 damn faces much harder competition. I belive DVHL Master took into account SH TOI, +/-, and a modification based on overall team performance (ie. a good +/- on a bad team would do wonders for DF in DVHL).

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
We could redo the DF rating based on a modified +/- rating (remove all even strength points). Also, we could add in the TOI as well as the SH TOI since a top 4 damn faces much harder competition. I belive DVHL Master took into account SH TOI, +/-, and a modification based on overall team performance (ie. a good +/- on a bad team would do wonders for DF in DVHL).

I really hate using +/- in any capacity to determine DF

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I really hate using +/- in any capacity to determine DF

So true, and Preissing having an 80DF is a perfect example why not to use +/-

The DF's are all over the map for defenseman and I'm not to sure what we can do to counter it. The idea of redoing all of them could be interesting, but time consuming. There is also the idea of just leaving them and letting them be sorted out through ratings challenges, however that doesn't lower the inflated ones such as Preissings.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
So true, and Preissing having an 80DF is a perfect example why not to use +/-

The problem with +/- is that it's usually inflated due to the fact that players with high point production get a +/- boost and players on teams with high point productions get a +/- boost. I think you'll see a dramatic improvement in +/- ratings when this is taken into account.

Default101

In case anyone missed it, I've converted the the DVHL skater ratings to an Excel file for ease of reference. They're in the Files, in the "2007 Ratings" folder. I'll add the modified goalie ratings when I get a chance to crunch those numbers.

so these are the official skater ratings we will be using for thwe 07-08 season? or are they still being modified or tweeked in some way minus the GM challenges?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
so these are the official skater ratings we will be using for thwe 07-08 season? or are they still being modified or tweeked in some way minus the GM challenges?

Those are the ratings for the DVHL. It's undecided how exactly to modify them for the HFNHL... hence this discussion. I just wanted to provide the resource for anyone who will be taking part in the process.

HFNHL Red Wings

For example 360 forwards would make up the top 4 lines of all teams combined, I'd say atleast 10-15% should be 80+, and maybe the bottom 10-15% should fall under the 60 mark.

Roughly, the stat categories I was thinking related to stats:
IT - PIM, Hits
ST - Weight/Height
DI - PIM (It would be nice to find something better then this...)
PA - Assists
PC - GvA?
DF - TkA, +/-, Block shots, SH TOI
SC - Goals
EX - GP, Age

I'm really late to this discussion so forgive me if this is addressed later in the thread but here's a my two cents ...

IT = Hits/minuted played. It used to be PIM but in the new NHL most PIM comes from obstruction and minor hooking calls than real physical contact.
ST - We probably shouldn't change the existing ratings or at least not based on height/weight.
PC - Except for last year all prior rankings I've seen have simply had PC = the avg of PA and SC. If adjusting for anything I would start there and maybe add a small weighting factor for faceoff win percentage. The GvA stats are too much a function of style of play (ie a puck carrier, even the best of them, will always have higher GvA numbers than a checker or defensive dman).
DF - I have always been an advocate of trying to add in TkA and blocked shots into this rating.

As far as distribution goes we have some historical distribution curves that I'll try and get to you.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
I'm really late to this discussion so forgive me if this is addressed later in the thread but here's a my two cents ...

IT = Hits/minuted played. It used to be PIM but in the new NHL most PIM comes from obstruction and minor hooking calls than real physical contact.
ST - We probably shouldn't change the existing ratings or at least not based on height/weight.
PC - Except for last year all prior rankings I've seen have simply had PC = the avg of PA and SC. If adjusting for anything I would start there and maybe add a small weighting factor for faceoff win percentage. The GvA stats are too much a function of style of play (ie a puck carrier, even the best of them, will always have higher GvA numbers than a checker or defensive dman).
DF - I have always been an advocate of trying to add in TkA and blocked shots into this rating.

As far as distribution goes we have some historical distribution curves that I'll try and get to you.

Regarding IT... I was thinking about using hits as well as a further modifier for PIM where I would weight minors and majors differently. I still think minors should have some impact on IT since they are an indication of a players willingness to "rough it up" however I do agree that in DVHL it's too highly relied upon.

I've been racking my brains but can't think of a decent way to rate SK and SP... I really hate these being subjective stats... any thoughts?

Also, what did you mean by ST not being based on height and weight? what would you base it on then?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
IT and DF need to be adjusted, but forget about a formula. We just need 3 or 4 seasoned GM's who have good overall feel for the league to adjust the ratings, with each GM not allowed to adjust that of their own player. This creates a balanced adjustment that will be much better than any attempt at creating a formula based on things such as PIM's and +/-. I also think DI needs adjustment, as any player with a high DI automatically got a very bad rating, when this isn't always the case. Brock helped spearhead this last year and several members of the Admin have done this in past.

It actually doesn't take that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad