Dutch win German Championship?

Herman the German

Jun 30, 2009
How does that happen? The German Hockey Federation has to give their heads a shake? I guess it shows where your hockey is going, like Canada, south of the border! :laugh: Serious side, making the DEL international, television rights, sponsoring, all the marketing advantages, speak for themselves. The borders are dropped in Europe but it seems not in hockey. Inside info, German players, German coaches, German managers are neglecting global influence. If North America did the same, we would never have the opportunity to see talented players like Rieder and Draisaitl. Younger men and women are given the chance to advance in Junior or University programs in North America. If German hockey is doing such a great job, why all the ifs and buts?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
How does that happen? The German Hockey Federation has to give their heads a shake? I guess it shows where your hockey is going, like Canada, south of the border! :laugh: Serious side, making the DEL international, television rights, sponsoring, all the marketing advantages, speak for themselves. The borders are dropped in Europe but it seems not in hockey. Inside info, German players, German coaches, German managers are neglecting global influence. If North America did the same, we would never have the opportunity to see talented players like Rieder and Draisaitl. Younger men and women are given the chance to advance in Junior or University programs in North America. If German hockey is doing such a great job, why all the ifs and buts?

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here.

Tilburg joined the German third-tier because it seemed to be a better option for them than staying in the Dutch league (well, their second team is playing in the joint Dutch-Belgian league). Them winning the Oberliga (they can't move up) doesn't really say anything about German hockey, as the best Dutch team winning the title in the third best German league is hardly earth-shattering.

I don't see how you come up with the rest, German hockey is hardly the place with the lowest amount of international influence, on the contrary.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
It wouldn't play in the DEL, it just won the Oberliga - which is third-tier, not DEL and not DEL 2 - and it cannot advance any further.

A team playing in a different country is hardly something out of the ordinary, it has happened plenty of times. The KHL includes multiple countries, the Austrian league has teams from Italy, Hungary and Slovenia participating, etc.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
giphy.gif

I feel like someone named Herman the German would at least have a slight understanding of German hockey. Guess not.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
You think I attacked you? You said something stupid and I commented (note I also wasn't the first to comment).

You might need this for your feelings:

foto-bubble-wrap.jpg

Herman the German

Jun 30, 2009
:hit::fight: Stupid? I guess you may have found it stupid because you are thinking at your level?:teach2::monkey: :nod: That's what happens when you mix Popov with Perrier served on ice. :biglaugh:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Careful, bud. Saying my level of thinking equates to stupid is pretty close to name calling. I just said what you said was stupid.

But, yes, what you said was stupid. Please explain how a very successful Dutch team winning the third-tier German league has any negative impact on German hockey overall.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
:hockey:Let the Dutch team play in the del? why not?

Well because you don't let a team that won an ECHL playoffs play in the NHL even if NA did a promotion/regulation system........

Even if you would promote that team they would just moved the DEL2 which is a pretty big jump in talent already before the actually DEL. This really has no negative affect on hockey in Germany.

And somebody can correct if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that Tilburg Trappers won the two previous dutch championships previous to this year. So a top Dutch team winning your third division.......

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Well because you don't let a team that won an ECHL playoffs play in the NHL even if NA did a promotion/regulation system........

Even if you would promote that team they would just moved the DEL2 which is a pretty big jump in talent already before the actually DEL. This really has no negative affect on hockey in Germany.

And somebody can correct if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that Tilburg Trappers won the two previous dutch championships previous to this year. So a top Dutch team winning your third division.......

The Trappers are pretty close to being the Dutch national team. They really lack competition in their domestic league and were clearly an improvement on the competition level in Germany's third division. More than 90% of what I heard and read about this experiment from fans, officials, etc. was positive. Anything that would help bringing the level of play of the different divisions closer together is a good thing for me, and this could help closing the gap between second and third division a little or at least keep it from growing bigger.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
No big deal at all..
Tilburg lacks competition in the Netherlands, so they join the german Oberliga and play with more competitive teams. Don't see a single reason why this would do harm to germany hockey. Given the state of hockey in this country, every competing team is a huge win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad