Player Discussion Dustin Wolf

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Didn’t see a thread on this yet, wolf called up and Markstrom potentially injured? Hopefully not, but excited to see Wolf play again.
Probably just to play Saturday vs Ottawa

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My hopes aren't very high that he will play this road trip... unless Markstrom is injured.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Taking Wolf for an eastern Canada road trip means he's playing. It's not like this was something done out of convenience during a homestand because Markstrom wasn't feeling great. Besides, Flames players will play through anything short of a femur fracture. I think all 3 goalies get a game on this trip

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
WHEN he gets his start, he will be the second youngest goalie in the NHL to play a game this year. This is asinine.
He already said to Aaron Vickers that he was upset he wasn’t given an opportunity in the preseason to make the team,

You’re just proving you’re an ageist. Age is irrelevant. Ability is what matters in determining if someone is ready to play in the NHL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sorry to quote Sutter, but... "W's impress me".

On the back of the jersey...

- Wolf has a W.
- Markstrom's has two, but both are upside down.
- Vladar has half of a W.

:sarcasm:
I legitimately laughed out loud at this

Reactions: Fig

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He already said to Aaron Vickers that he was upset he wasn’t given an opportunity in the preseason to make the team,

You’re just proving you’re an ageist. Age is irrelevant. Ability is what matters in determining if someone is ready to play in the NHL
Can you post that quote because I’ve seen nothing of the sort. If he did say that I’d be disappointed though, after he had an .860 save %, a 3.37 GAA, and a -1.80 GSAA, which was by far the worst of any goalie we played in pre-season.

Accusations aside, yes it’s quite literally true throwing a young goalie into the NHL without a safety net can be extremely detrimental. Look at the batch of blue chip goalie prospects drafted around him. Carter Hart is a shell of what his potential was (although a whopping 5 NHL seasons later he looks to be a bit back on track), Spencer Knight is finally back to playing hockey in the AHL, Devon Levi is struggling mightily after Buffalo attempted to hand him the reigns. Teams are being smart with Wallstedt, Askarov, and Cossa, none of them have even sniffed the NHL, even though over the last half year Askarov has put up the same video game type numbers Wolf has.

The AHL is a joke in terms of talent relative to the NHL. Dominating the AHL as young as he did means he has crazy potential, but dominating the NHL means nothing for current NHL talent level. Let the kid ease in, play ~10 or so games this year (extremely smart of Calgary to wait until the team seemingly settled down defensively to call him up), and if he performs then give him more. Wolf is the best goalie prospect in the world, I’d be pissed if the Flames gave him trial by fire, it could potentially be devastating to his development.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
The possibility of him playing is the most exciting thing this flames season. Hope he gets some games

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Godspeed young man, as once again this franchise places all its hopes and dreams on a undersized late round draft pick.

giphy.gif

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
This brings me joy. Show 'em what's up kid. And if you don't right away? That's just fine. You will though. Kid is the absolute goods.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
More than likely he was called up in cause Markstrom isnt feeling ready to go. Took a maintenance day yesterday.

End of the day, he needs to play games and not sit on the bench. He also did not earn the spot over Vladar in the preseason. He can be upset all he wants about not making the NHL roster, go prove you deserve it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Y'all got a source on that claim?
I'm guessing no.

I scrolled back on Vicker's Twitter and nothing on Wolf other than saying he was cut.
I googled searched Vickers and Wolf together and the only result I got was from before camp.
I also searched NHL.com and the Flames website for articles on Wolf, and nada.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Y'all got a source on that claim?
Yesterday on Fan 960 , Flames Talk. The show had Dustin Wolf in the title

Shocker that the management apologists (not you Dube) have come out in swarms using his one underwhelming preseason game as justification to keep him down. Ignoring the previous full season of evidence….

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Somewhere Darren Pang is dancing on the cap of a toadstool

Seriously though, I'm interested to give the kid a chance. I thought he looked good in the game he had last year (I think it was just 1).

*just looked up stats of a few goaltenders from back in the day and now

Mike Vernon - 5'9"

Chris Osgood - 5'10"

Darren Pang - 5'5"

Greg Millen - 5'9"

Dominic Hasek - 6'1"

Vladar - 6'6"

Markstrom - 6'6"

Johanson - 6'5"

Yikes

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Shocker that the management apologists (not you Dube) have come out in swarms using his one underwhelming preseason game as justification to keep him down. Ignoring the previous full season of evidence….
Literally 2 people mentioned the preseason.

That's a hell of a swarm.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

First you call me ageist for having a differing opinion, now trying to label everyone as management apologists? Does it make knowing people disagree with you easier if you try to handwave them away as people you shouldn’t worry about? Also it was 2 bad games, if you’re going the pedantic route.

2 full seasons of evidence… in the AHL. Friendly reminder that Vladar had a .936 and a 1.79 GAA in the AHL over a full season before his first taste of NHL action. Look how well that translated so far. For about the 15th time, what Wolf did is extremely impressive because of his age, not because of what he did. Otherwise our goaltending coach Labarbera would’ve had his name in the rafters after what he did to the AHL. Seriously look it up, he had 3+ season of >.930 goaltending, and 2 seasons of <2 GAA. Including a season where over 60 games he had a .936 save percentage and a 1.59 GAA. He was a passable backup when it came to NHL play.

Wolf is going to be really, really good. He’s also extremely young with plenty of development ahead of him before he becomes really good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I haven't listened, and I'm not going to, 960 is a waste of time these days.

But "upset" can be taken many ways, this just reminds me of what Conroy told Zary, that he should mad, and harness that and use it to force their hand.

I find it hard to believe that Conroy didn't have a similar talk with Wolf. The difference of course being there are far less spots for goaltenders. I have little doubt Conroy said he believed he was ready but it's better for him to play daily with the Wranglers.

I feel like no matter what happens, Vladar is off the team by the deadline. Either he plays well enough to have some trade value, or he plays poorly enough that he is waived, demoted and bought out in June, or of course claimed.

Also this is a good problem to have. This is like baseball fans complaining about too much pitching. It makes no sense.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
First you call me ageist for having a differing opinion, now trying to label everyone as management apologists? Does it make knowing people disagree with you easier if you try to handwave them away as people you shouldn’t worry about? Also it was 2 bad games, if you’re going the pedantic route.

2 full seasons of evidence… in the AHL. Friendly reminder that Vladar had a .936 and a 1.79 GAA in the AHL over a full season before his first taste of NHL action. Look how well that translated so far. For about the 15th time, what Wolf did is extremely impressive because of his age, not because of what he did. Otherwise our goaltending coach Labarbera would’ve had his name in the rafters after what he did to the AHL. Seriously look it up, he had 3+ season of >.930 goaltending, and 2 seasons of <2 GAA. Including a season where over 60 games he had a .936 save percentage and a 1.59 GAA. He was a passable backup when it came to NHL play.

Wolf is going to be really, really good. He’s also extremely young with plenty of development ahead of him before he becomes really good.

No what he did was impressive regardless of age wolf played in 55 games Vlad only played 25 games that year and wasn't the starter

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00