Speculation: Dustin Brown to PIT

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Per Scott Burnside

"That brings us to a guy Hextall will know very well from his time in Los Angeles — two-time Stanley Cup champion Dustin Brown. Brown is having a renaissance season and has one year left on his current deal at a hefty $5.875 million. The Kings might eat some of that depending on what kind of piece gets sent back. Given the overloaded state of the Pittsburgh blue line maybe there’s a young defensive bauble that satisfies the Kings end of things...."

(Paywall)
Burnside: 6 NHL trade deadline deals I want to see happen

If memory serves me correct, LA wants/needs LD, correct?

Any interest in a gently used Markus Pettersson?

Pens now have cap space due to Jason Zucker injury on IR

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is no reasonable package that could be agreed upon between Penguins fans and Kings fans IMO.

Penguins would want to give up Matheson, which Kings fans would say no to. I would hope the Penguins wouldn't be so shortsighted to do Pettersson for Brown either.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Per Scott Burnside

"That brings us to a guy Hextall will know very well from his time in Los Angeles — two-time Stanley Cup champion Dustin Brown. Brown is having a renaissance season and has one year left on his current deal at a hefty $5.875 million. The Kings might eat some of that depending on what kind of piece gets sent back. Given the overloaded state of the Pittsburgh blue line maybe there’s a young defensive bauble that satisfies the Kings end of things...."

(Paywall)

All of the trades listed in that article are far fetched IMO. Hall to edmonton may make sense but not for Neal. Johnny G to Toronto? WTH.

The penquins should be goalie hunting IMO. Go get Raanta or Elvis would be the smart move.

Reactions: funky

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All of the trades listed in that article are far fetched IMO. Hall to edmonton may make sense but not for Neal. Johnny G to Toronto? WTH.

The penquins should be goalie hunting IMO. Go get Raanta or Elvis would be the smart move.

Jarry has a .912 save% and DeSmith has a .911 save% since their 3rd game of the year. I don't think goaltending is a huge issue of theirs right now.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Jarry has a .912 save% and DeSmith has a .911 save% since their 3rd game of the year. I don't think goaltending is a huge issue of theirs right now.

ask yourself if you truly trust either one come playoff time. If the answer is yes, save your assets. If no, than Pittsburgh should try and address it. Go looking for a Goalie for not only this year but at least the next couple as well. I think Elvis makes sense, can hear the "Elvis has left the building" calls now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they are willing to do Pettersson for Brown, then sure. Not sure what else really makes sense. I wouldn't do it if I were LA but...I don't see there being a match really.

ask yourself if you truly trust either one come playoff time. If the answer is yes, save your assets. If no, than Pittsburgh should try and address it. Go looking for a Goalie for not only this year but at least the next couple as well. I think Elvis makes sense, can hear the "Elvis has left the building" calls now.

This season, yes. If the Penguins are going to make a run, it will be on the shoulders of Jarry. He is as capable as any young goalie out there. He could absolutely turning a Murray or Binnington hot streak.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Like others have alluded to, it's unlikely that either fanbase can agree on a price. I'm sure Pens fans don't want to give up assets for a skater who is a UFA after the season. Meanwhile, Kings fans wouldn't want to see a longtime player leave for an underwhelming return.

As for it actually happening, I can't see it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Like others have alluded to, it's unlikely that either fanbase can agree on a price. I'm sure Pens fans don't want to give up assets for a skater who is a UFA after the season. Meanwhile, Kings fans wouldn't want to see a longtime player leave for an underwhelming return.

As for it actually happening, I can't see it.

Brown has one more year on his deal

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Raanta Career Playoff record: 5GP, 0GS, 3.59GAA, 84.6SV%

Merzlikins Career Playoff record: 2GP, 1GS, 1.96GAA, 94.6%

Raanta and Merzlikins are just as big of unknowns as Jarry. They have literally started 1 playoff game between the two of them. I'd rather stick with Jarry and Desmith. Both are playing well and we don't have to give up assets to get them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Jarry has been a blue chip prospect for us for years and has finally seemingly developed. Desmith has been great despite personal issues some of us have with him.

I was concerned about our goaltending especially after the start, but it is not an area of concern.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Seems like a Kings lifer to me. If he's not their most tenured captain he surely will be and he's had by far the most successful tenure.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Moving Petts and that contract is a priority to me. Now is Brown the return? Really don't see that happening but I do think Petts in a deal makes sense for the Pens. You have Dumo and Matheson with POJ and Riikola for this year and next. Plus Lee at WB is decent PMD.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think the deal would be Pettersson for Brown retained to 4 mil.
What’s Pettersson’s deal? Don’t know much about him, never watched him. He’s interesting but why would he be the odd man out in Pittsburgh?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What’s Pettersson’s deal? Don’t know much about him, never watched him. He’s interesting but why would he be the odd man out in Pittsburgh?

Because we traded for Matheson. We signed Marino for 4+ mil and we have a prospect in POJ who proved he can play bottom pair minutes this year which was unexpected as well as Riikola who is a passable bottom pair D too and signed for this year and next.

If we didn’t trade for Matheson we wouldn’t be looking to trade him. But at this point we have a 4
Mil x 5 year deal contract that we can’t protect and is losing slight value due to the flat cap and COVID situation.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Penguins fans give him a lot of hate because he set unreasonable expectations based on having a terrific 2018-2019 season, and him not matching those expectations made people over-correct and conclude he sucks.

He's like Maatta if Maatta was a solid skater. Good positional defenseman who has decent puck skills. The only reason he could be available is that the Penguins are overflowing in LD with Dumoulin, POJ (their best prospect who has a lot of similarities to Pettersson) and Matheson (who is probably unmovable). I've said that I think Pettersson would be a fantastic partner on Buffalo's 2nd pair with Ristolainen, so he'd fit really well in a top-4 role with that kind of defenseman as his partner.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Jarry has been a blue chip prospect for us for years and has finally seemingly developed. Desmith has been great despite personal issues some of us have with him.

I was concerned about our goaltending especially after the start, but it is not an area of concern.

fair, I was more thinking that if goaltending was an area the Pens wanted to upgrade it would be keeping Jarry so they have a 1A/1B situation. Takes some pressure off of him to continue to develop. If DeSmith is providing that great.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Per Scott Burnside

(Paywall)

Lots of love for Brown, but he needs to remain a King.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00