Player Discussion Duncan Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
There you go thinking about yourself and not the greater population. Your thinking about how covid is going to effect you and that’s it. Same thing you are accusing the unvaccinated of doing.

What is it exactly that you want the vaccinated to do? If they have had their shots, continue to mask up as required, follow other health instructions and restrictions as requested, what exactly are we supposed to be doing that we aren’t doing? I believe I’m doing a reasonable job of trying to protect people who don’t want to or aren’t able to protect themselves, and at the same time keeping my sanity by trying to still function in society.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry, should have added the word vaccinated. I know unvaccinated people who have not altered their lifestyle.

With the proviso that people that were full vaccinated were lined up deep to get their passports soon as they could and so much they overloaded the system for days. For the reason to pursue such non essential activities that are probably ill advised during a pandemic, but that are allowed to attend with a passport.

Its not as simple as you put it. It seems like a lot of people, vaccinated or not just want to be doing stuff they would normally.

I mean going to Oilers games now is possibly a bad idea during a pandemic. Especially what with how so many people are improperly using masks inside or just taking them off to eat, drink. Half the people I saw in the stands whenever the cameras panned the crowd) were not wearing a mask or wearing it properly. There seemed to be less compliance then you would see in most public facilities.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What is it exactly that you want the vaccinated to do? If they have had their shots, continue to mask up as required, follow other health instructions and restrictions as requested, what exactly are we supposed to be doing that we aren’t doing?
100% of the vaccinated are not doing this not even close.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its as if this post was never made, yet the tirefire of posts pages after basically from people spewing on a Current Oiler. Who agreed to take the vaccine, against his inclination or will.

I chalk that up as positive.

Its none of my business what Duncan Keith thinks. I do care if he can still play hockey by maintaining his health in other ways.

Its funny too. I used to go to gyms to train for decades. The amount of people that take compounds, substances, steriods etc rather than just train naturally is off the charts. In other news late night TV addicts buy every Dr. Ho device ever invented. People routinely pop pills at huge expense for a variety of real or imagined affliction. But people streaming on here to unearth stuff Keith believes in.

Hell, Jim Fixx believed that running 40 miles as often as possible was the best thing for him, before he died of a heart attack. People believe in all kinds of things when it comes to health. A lot of it, maybe the bulk of it being unsubstantiated.
Doing the right thing eventually (and because you had to) isn’t much of a positive especially since one of his teammates had his career ended due to COVID. To speak of frustration in how the NHLPA didn’t back him up on this (their job is to keep players safe) makes him seem uninterested in adhering unless it effects him personally. The very definition of selfish.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
With the proviso that people that were full vaccinated were lined up deep to get their passports soon as they could and so much they overloaded the system for days. For the reason to pursue such non essential activities that are probably ill advised during a pandemic, but that are allowed to attend with a passport.

Its not as simple as you put it. It seems like a lot of people, vaccinated or not just want to be doing stuff they would normally.

I mean going to Oilers games now is possibly a bad idea during a pandemic. Especially what with how so many people are improperly using masks inside or just taking them off to eat, drink. Half the people I saw in the stands whenever the cameras panned the crowd) were not wearing a mask or wearing it properly. There seemed to be less compliance then you would see in most public facilities.

‘Trying’ to get back to normal is not a bad thing. Life is short and unpredictable. There are extremes on both sides, but I think most people have done what they have been asked to do, and if vaccinated, understand the risk of them getting seriously sick is for the most part very low, and want to slowly get back to doing things they enjoy. I don’t see that as a bad thing. I’ve gone out to restaurants, plan on going to Oiler games, will travel to areas with high vaccination rates and ongoing protocols, but will do so with respect for others by following the event stipulations, while still trying to enjoy myself. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I turned down free lower bowl tickets to the home opener.

North

Jun 25, 2009
What do you want the majority of us to do that have done as we have been asked to do? Serious question, I want to know what else I’m supposed to do.

You’re not going to get a real answer because there is a portion of people who don’t want to do any of it.

Might as well just get back to discussing Keith.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What do you want the majority of us to do that have done as we have been asked to do? Serious question, I want to know what else I’m supposed to do.
If your doing the right things then good but lets not pretend that’s the norm. Look at the oilers pre season crowd.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
‘Trying’ to get back to normal is not a bad thing. Life is short and unpredictable. There are extremes on both sides, but I think most people have done what they have been asked to do, and if vaccinated, understand the risk of them getting seriously sick is for the most part very low, and want to slowly get back to doing things they enjoy. I don’t see that as a bad thing. I’ve gone out to restaurants, plan on going to Oiler games, will travel to areas with high vaccination rates and ongoing protocols, but will do so with respect for others by following the event stipulations, while still trying to enjoy myself. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

I wasn't suggesting what is reasonable, or a bad thing, that is contained nowhere in my post or replies. I was clarifying.

I don't think we disagree that much. Except that for myself and the wife, we need exercise greater caution due to past respiratory issue. (Pneumonia, asthma) For others they would feel that a different level of activity is acceptable risk. Neither answer is wrong, If you look at our stated behaviors through much of the pandemic, and our willingness to vaccinate, we have a lot in common in our collective approach.

We turned down our play at the Citadel this week, and intend to no longer be STH. This due to Covid. Post pandemic it may take awhile for us to feel this is something we are comfortable with. Similarly we love Train travel. But this too now adjusted. Reality is for us we just don't know what the future behavior is. But those are just our decisions on our circumstance. I'm fine with others making differing decisions and in other circumstance. I think this is reasonably stated.

cheers

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Twitter reminded me of this piece on Keith from a few years back.

Why N.H.L. Player Duncan Keith Calls Himself a Biohacker

Dude will buy into all kinds of pseudoscience b.s. but when it comes to a vaccine that's been rigorously tested and proven safe and effective he's like "noooooooo."

Doesn't really surprise me. Seems like the MO for these guys is they know more than everyone else. The funny part is Keith got so defensive when he came here and heard everyone complaining about his stats that "didn't play the game". Now he knows more than epidemiologists and doctors.

Wonder if he's going to start acting like he knows more than the coaching staff as well and rub off on that negatively..

Oddly he was brought here to be a veteran leader and I think he could easily have the opposite impact.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'll take the words of the fans who watched him for the last year. It wasn't very positive.

He's here to be more of a lockerroom leader/mentor than anything.

With a reduced role on the ice, he may not be so bad.

Plus, if his game really is shot and Keith retires a year early, his cap hit becomes a negative on the Oilers books.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's here to be more of a lockerroom leader/mentor than anything.

With a reduced role on the ice, he may not be so bad.

Plus, if his game really is shot and Keith retires a year early, his cap hit becomes a negative on the Oilers books.
A 2nd or 3rd rounder plus a young dman plus having to pay a full massive 5 plus cap hit is a good move for a lesser role mentor? He had better be a lot more than a bottom pairing mentor or holland got taken to the cleaners eve more than it initially appeared.

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
I'm a resident doc and I may have a controversial opinion..

If you're vaccinated you should be able to socialize and partake in pre-covid activities with other vaccinated individuals without any other restrictions. Otherwise, what is the point of getting vaccinated? What's the end goal?

The issue comes from unvaccinated people intermingling with those that are vaccinated because vaccinated people can still transmit the virus to the unvaccinated.

I can assure you that the significant majority of people getting admitted to the hospital/ICU are unvaccinated or if they are vaccinated they are severely immunosuppressed/transplant/cancer patients.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Just put Duncan Keith in the dunk tank.

maxresdefault.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Sorry, should have added the word vaccinated. I know unvaccinated people who have not altered their lifestyle.
Yet right on this board there are at least two regular posters that come to mind who have declared they are unwilling to continue wearing a mask because they 'have already done (their) part'.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Because having these restrictions non stop is not a viable solution. Schools need to be open, people need to return to work. I have no issue sitting in a restaurant or working out in a gym knowing everyone I'm around is vaccinated.

Good for you but you can still get sick rather easily indoors. I personally have no desire to be indoors outside of shopping and in my own home.

Why should he have a right? The NHL is a private business and if they deem unvaccinated players a threat to other players and the league they should be allowed to not include them. Why risk an entire team getting sick because someone is recklessly making decisions that go against medical science.

I'm sure Duncan doesn't like Joe six pack explaining to him why his game wasn't very good and how he needs to improve.

Well we'll see how many covid cases there will be in the NHL with all of the players vaccinated. There is bound to be some.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yet right on this board there are at least two regular posters that come to mind who have declared they are unwilling to continue wearing a mask because they 'have already done (their) part'.

Sorry, not sure what your point is. Don’t believe I said everyone in the world is following restrictions to the letter of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad