Canada
alecfromtherock said:
Chelios saying(paraphrasing): F! The small market teams

how bout ''actions'' instead of words .

bobsledding with the Greek Olympic hopefuls

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
You guys have obviously missed all of Todd Marchant's gems of wisdom. My favorite went something like "If I sign this CBA, they might as well put me in shackles and hall me away." Columbus fans can only hope!

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I think Bryan McCabe said something along these lines:
"We are willing to hold out for the rest of our lives."

McCabe sure isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, however if he ever plays another game like he did in game 7 against the Flyers last year he should have a self imposed hold out against his services !!!!!!

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Why is this horribly one-sided? The players have made some pretty stupid quotes, no doubt.

But how about John Ferguson Jr saying the Leafs need a new deal with a salary cap?

Or Gary Bettman's "The Levitt report is a superaudit performed by a man of unassailable credentials" (or something like that)

mooseOAK*

Healy saying that if the season gets cancelled the players will get a better deal in the fall. How?

Crazy Lunatic

mooseOAK said:
Healy saying that if the season gets cancelled the players will get a better deal in the fall. How?

I heard that one this morning too. And they wonder why so many people hate the players side now. Comments like that make me want to punch Healy in the face.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd say anything from larry Brooks or Strathan, but their statements here are consistent with their idiocy outside of a labor dispute.

Wetcoaster

"As you know the Levitt report was the result of a year long super audit by a financial expert of unassailable integrity." Gary Bettman's press conference announcing the lockout.

Gary Bettman declaring the Levitt Report a "super audit" and Levitt having unassalibale integrity :joker: - tell that to the investors who were caught out because Levitt failed as SEC Chairman in his mandate to protect investors - Enron, World.Com, Waste Management, Arthur Andersen, etc. :eek:

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
"As you know the Levitt report was the result of a year long super audit by a financial expert of unassailable integrity." Gary Bettman's press conference announcing the lockout.

Gary Bettman declaring the Levitt Report a "super audit" and Levitt having unassalibale integrity :joker: - tell that to the investors who were caught out because Levitt failed as SEC Chairman in his mandate to protect investors - Enron, World.Com, Waste Management, Arthur Andersen, etc. :eek:

Are you lying intentionally or do you have problems getting your facts straight?

The fact is that Leavitt did all he could to stop disasters like Enron, etc. from occurring, but his efforts were blocked by Congress. Do a little reading on the subject before you spout off about a highly respected man's 'failures.'
I suggest you start with this Business Week piece:

In the end, Levitt was forced to abandon the ban on firms providing information technology consulting to audit clients. Instead, he had to settle for the requirement that made companies disclose the dollar amount of the audit and the consulting fees they pay. In addition, audit committees were required to report in the proxy statement if they considered any nonaudit services being provided to be incompatible with the auditor's independence. The rules passed on November 15 by a 4-to-0 vote of the SEC commissioners.
Levitt didn't get his separation of auditing and consulting, and less than two years later, Enron had imploded and Arthur Andersen had ceased to exist.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/may2003/nf2003057_6942_db006.htm

Then consider what Sen. Joe Libermann said about Leavitt in the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee's report on Enron:
"In fact, Arthur Leavitt, the SEC chairman at the time, warned of the declining quality of financial reporting and the widespread conflicts of interest among those who were supposed to account for a company’s numbers. But the SEC ignored these vulnerabilities and so, may I add, did Congress. "
http://govt-aff.senate.gov/100702press.htm

Here's what CBS News reported regarding Leavitt and Enron, World.com, etc.:

Under the leadership of former Chairman Arthur Leavitt, the SEC tried to get Congress to investigate the potential conflicts of interest in the accounting industry, but it ultimately abandoned the fight.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/17/2002/main533391.shtml

Here's what Rep. John Dingell had to say:

It is to be noted that Arthur Leavitt, the then chairman of the SEC, did everything he could to bring this practice of abuse in the accounting profession, particularly the accountant and consultant problem to a halt.
The Congress beat the bejeebers out of him. They threatened to cut his money over this. So this is not a surprise. I am hopeful that the barn door is not being locked I'm sure there's other rascalia which can and will occur if something is not done about this, and I want to see to it that it is done with the utmost vigor so that we can correct all of the aspects of this including whether or not the SEC did its job.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june02/house_1-23.html

Mountain Dude

CarlRacki said:
Are you lying intentionally or do you have problems getting your facts straight?

The fact is that Leavitt did all he could to stop disasters like Enron, etc. from occurring, but his efforts were blocked by Congress. Do a little reading on the subject before you spout off about a highly respected man's 'failures.'
I suggest you start with this Business Week piece:

In the end, Levitt was forced to abandon the ban on firms providing information technology consulting to audit clients. Instead, he had to settle for the requirement that made companies disclose the dollar amount of the audit and the consulting fees they pay. In addition, audit committees were required to report in the proxy statement if they considered any nonaudit services being provided to be incompatible with the auditor's independence. The rules passed on November 15 by a 4-to-0 vote of the SEC commissioners.
Levitt didn't get his separation of auditing and consulting, and less than two years later, Enron had imploded and Arthur Andersen had ceased to exist.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/may2003/nf2003057_6942_db006.htm

Then consider what Sen. Joe Libermann said about Leavitt in the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee's report on Enron:
"In fact, Arthur Leavitt, the SEC chairman at the time, warned of the declining quality of financial reporting and the widespread conflicts of interest among those who were supposed to account for a company’s numbers. But the SEC ignored these vulnerabilities and so, may I add, did Congress. "
http://govt-aff.senate.gov/100702press.htm

Here's what CBS News reported regarding Leavitt and Enron, World.com, etc.:

Under the leadership of former Chairman Arthur Leavitt, the SEC tried to get Congress to investigate the potential conflicts of interest in the accounting industry, but it ultimately abandoned the fight.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/17/2002/main533391.shtml

Here's what Rep. John Dingell had to say:

It is to be noted that Arthur Leavitt, the then chairman of the SEC, did everything he could to bring this practice of abuse in the accounting profession, particularly the accountant and consultant problem to a halt.
The Congress beat the bejeebers out of him. They threatened to cut his money over this. So this is not a surprise. I am hopeful that the barn door is not being locked I'm sure there's other rascalia which can and will occur if something is not done about this, and I want to see to it that it is done with the utmost vigor so that we can correct all of the aspects of this including whether or not the SEC did its job.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june02/house_1-23.html

Wow, thats one of the biggest ownages I've seen in a while, good work man.

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:

And I can produce quotes that say otherwise. In case you failed to notice those are opinions - not facts.

I am getting fed up with persoanl attacks. Read the posting rules.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
And I can produce quotes that say otherwise. In case you failed to notice those are opinions - not facts.

Personal attacks? Oh, the irony. What exactly would you call your post misrepresenting the facts about Arthur Leavitt? All I did was call you on it.

Furthermore:

1. It is not an opinion that Arthur Leavitt worked tirelessly to stop the auditing practices that allowed Enron to happen. Nor is it an opinion that his efforts were thwarted. Nor would I call a U.S. senator's official statement regarding a committee investigation "opinion".
2. If you can produce quotes that say otherwise, please do so.

Mountain Dude

Wetcoaster said:

:cry:

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:

Umm it seemed to me that the provided links were not opinions but they were fact!!

Levitt did indeed try to stop the bad accounting practices. That was not the opinion of someone, but it is a fact.

Your attack on Levitt had no facts or links to back your assault on his character. It was your opinion.

You lashed out with the above post, blinded by your own vendetta, it seems.

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:
Personal attacks? Oh, the irony. What exactly would you call your post misrepresenting the facts about Arthur Leavitt? All I did was call you on it.
Flaming: Do not post any messages that harrass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. Debates are fine, but argue with the point, not the person.

You posted opinions not facts. Levitt was a patronage appointment by Clinton. There are as many politicians who have said the exact opposite.

The facts are that the most serious scandals and fleecing of the investors occurred on his watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad